RADICAL IDEA. Discuss.

Let's face it, with very few (1) active drum corps in New York state, the only people that travel to see championships are the die hard old fans. The corps with the younger members like Fusion, Bush, Cadets2, Windsor Regiment and the Buccaneers will bring in fans because the parents will come.

Maybe special pricing for local band programs to come see the show would help? With the corps now using the latest technology, maybe the younger potential members from these band programs will see DCA as an option for them to join a corps.

With the core group of Open Class corps getting better, the show is becoming a "must see" show. DCA is doing a much better job of marketing these days but the value is in the quality of the corps performances.

BTW, nobody is interested in a July championship.

Edited by onthe50

The big payday as Fred mentions has leveled out these past few years, This I know. The share points each corps receives comes mostly from the the Championships net proceeds and though various costs have increased, the payday has stagnated. I think what Fred is getting at is something needs to be done to raise the net proceeds from Championships, more butts in the seats means more revenue for the circuit and the corps.

Just my 2 cents.

Jay

A very fair point. Here's my question as a follow up to what you said (and Fred alluded to): Is putting on the alumni show and I&E worth the investment? Does the alumni show lose money? Break even? Is it profitable? I suspect I&E and mini-corps is worth the minimal investment (in Rochester, at least...no stadium needed).

Sidebar: I'm not taking shots at either event, and I'm a huge fan of I&E/minis. I don't have the first clue when it comes to knowledge of the financials involved.

Edited by Kamarag

OK what are the pro and cons of having DCA the weekend before Labor Day?

Fer instance.....

Pro: Corps with younger members are hitting school/MB conflicts with Labor Day and marching with holes

Con: Ain't a 3 day weekend and DCI fill ins need another week to learn the DCA drill (yeah it happens)

do not underestimate the free day from work/school with the holiday Monday for members and fans

do not underestimate the free day from work/school with the holiday Monday for members and fans

Absolutely.... a big travel day.

• Like 1

A very fair point. Here's my question as a follow up to what you said (and Fred alluded to): Is putting on the alumni show and I&E worth the investment? Does the alumni show lose money? Break even? Is it profitable? I suspect I&E and mini-corps is worth the minimal investment (in Rochester, at least...no stadium needed).

Sidebar: I'm not taking shots at either event, and I'm a huge fan of I&E/minis. I don't have the first clue when it comes to knowledge of the financials involved.

It's been 4 years since I've been in the know, BUT I'm pretty sure the stadium cost is next to nothing ( payed for by the visitors association I believe) for the whole weekend and IE is also free of any costs also. Since they have no real costs associated with these events, it would be smart to continue those events to help push ticket sales for prelims and finals. Selling 1000 tickets for the alumni is better then an empty stadium Sunday afternoon is my guess. The question still remains, how can they sell MORE tickets to finals? That was and still is the million dollar question for the DCA I'm sure. I will say though, and I've always said this, the championships need to stay in the east in order to make money. A move out of the region is a huge gamble and one that could put the circuit in huge financial despair if ticket sales were to "tank".I'm not looking for a fight, just stating my opinion, and I'm not alone in thinking that way.

I would like to see the Championships moved to Pennsylvania personally. I think in the right venue and town, DCA would see a big increase in ticket sales. One place that comes to mind is Allentown, except for the parking problem I've been told , no bus or truck parking in the park road as done historically. DCI uses the fairgrounds now BUT the fair opens in Allentown on Labor Day weekend. Move the Chamionship weekend to the weekend before Labor Day and you have a winner!!! Will DCA move off Labor Day weekend? Doubt it.

It's been 4 years since I've been in the know, BUT I'm pretty sure the stadium cost is next to nothing ( payed for by the visitors association I believe) for the whole weekend and IE is also free of any costs also. Since they have no real costs associated with these events, it would be smart to continue those events to help push ticket sales for prelims and finals. Selling 1000 tickets for the alumni is better then an empty stadium Sunday afternoon is my guess. The question still remains, how can they sell MORE tickets to finals? That was and still is the million dollar question for the DCA I'm sure. I will say though, and I've always said this, the championships need to stay in the east in order to make money. A move out of the region is a huge gamble and one that could put the circuit in huge financial despair if ticket sales were to "tank".I'm not looking for a fight, just stating my opinion, and I'm not alone in thinking that way.

I agree that it needs to stay in the region.

I'm just not sure it's in the right part of the region

• Like 1

I would like to see the Championships moved to Pennsylvania personally. I think in the right venue and town, DCA would see a big increase in ticket sales. One place that comes to mind is Allentown, except for the parking problem I've been told , no bus or truck parking in the park road as done historically. DCI uses the fairgrounds now BUT the fair opens in Allentown on Labor Day weekend. Move the Chamionship weekend to the weekend before Labor Day and you have a winner!!! Will DCA move off Labor Day weekend? Doubt it.

going head to head with the fair will not work...not enough hotels.

Five Star stopped promoting drum corps, and Hershey's management has been great to work with for 2 different band circuits. I'd say it needs to be explored

• Like 1

I recall when DCI was held in Orlando, and there were "special pricing for the band programs" for quarters. IMO, it was nothing more than a huge social event in which the vast majority of them weren't the least bit interested in what was on the field. There was so much noise coming from the "band sections" that at times it nearly drowned out the quieter parts of some shows. I would like to see increased sales too, but just not too confident that this is the right avenue to take. I think the greatest potential for growth lies in the streaming product-but there needs to be an investment in technology (on the stadium AND the production sides) so that a reliable and quality product can be delivered.

going head to head with the fair will not work...not enough hotels.

Five Star stopped promoting drum corps, and Hershey's management has been great to work with for 2 different band circuits. I'd say it needs to be explored

Allentown... that expanded track at the stadium is not in DCA's favor, IMO. Puts the corps too far away from the audience. Not a good thing for the DCA product, which... again IMO.... needs that "up close" feel.

Plus... absolutely nowhere to go if/when it rains in Allentown. An ancient stadium.

And... downtown Allentown is not exactly Chamber of Commerce territory. LOL.