Designer's Toolbox - Depth of Concept

Let's list out some of the possible component parts of the DCI scoresheet criteria, "Depth of Concept". Remember depth of concept is the thing that has advanced the activity from bus and truck tour cover bands trying to rock their buses until they tip over on Route 66, to the realm of legitimate performance art-- long-lasting, powerful, and full of meaning.

For a drum corps show to have depth, it should contain as many of these as possible. (For the binary thinkers on this forum, remember this is not an inclusive list. No, every item doesn't need to be satisfied for each corps show. And yes, historically some winning shows contained very few of these. Oy vey.)

A Throughline - Simple as it sounds, the music or theme should contain a thread that wends its way through from beginning to end.

Universal truth - The show should contain some powerful human understanding about the way we live and our perceptions about the nature and purpose of our lives, even if it's how we all wish the fat lady would be eaten by a shark.

Unique approach or unique content - The show's artistic insight should be one of a kind for maximum resonance and memorable message. Please God no more Phantom of the Opera-- it's screwed fried and freeze-dried at this point.

Elseness - The show isn't just people spitting air into horns, banging on things and dancing around. A drum corps production alludes to deeper meaning in our lives, and we all know it. Cadet's Appalachian Spring was one of the most powerful and simply produced shows of all time and alluded to reawakenings in our lives, and a reawakening of visual innovation in drum corps.

Resonance for the Marching Members - How does the theme or music resonate with the way these kids live their lives, inside and outside the drum corps experience? Or are they just putting on masks and jumping around because it's something to do until September?

Accessibility on first View - Shows should offer immediate gratification, but layers of meaning for those patient and bright enough to learn about the music and theme, as is the case with all art. It's an enormous task to create a show with layers of enjoyment, but worth it.

Thematically integrated set pieces requiring Extraordinary Skill - When the socko moments tie in thematically and support the show overall, it's the important marriage of entertainment and thematic argument-- incredibly difficult to do.

An Ending that Shows A Transformation or a Triumph over an Inner Battle - Great shows have a progression that grows and builds for dramatic effect with some kind of resolution or anti-resolution. Otherwise, why does the show begin or end at all? Why compete in this venue? Why bother with the 12 minute medium at all? In drum corps, the show ending needs to make sense, it should be an extension of the game or pattern that precedes it, and that's part of the art form's requirements.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

Chanel, I'm going to use this guideline when viewing shows. In the past, some winning shows have bored me to tears and with the exception of the high performance levels, the experience wasn't stellar. Maybe this will allow me to appreciate certain corps more.

• Like 1

... the thing that has advanced the activity from bus and truck tour cover bands trying to rock their buses until they tip over on Route 66, to the realm of legitimate performance art-- long-lasting, powerful, and full of meaning.

So this is how we are to view ourselves while being engaged in a rather insignificant activity as compared to other forms of major entertainment. No wonder those on the outside see us as academic ivory-tower marching band geeks who think it is great when Lucas Oil Stadium is actually 4/5 empty on Finals night! :silly:

Let's list out some of the possible component parts of the DCI scoresheet criteria, "Depth of Concept".

Remember, depth of concept is the thing that has advanced the activity from bus and truck tour cover bands trying to rock their buses until they tip over on Route 66, to the realm of legitimate performance art--long-lasting, powerful, and full of meaning.

So this is how we are to view ourselves while being engaged in a rather insignificant activity as compared to other forms of major entertainment. No wonder those on the outside see us as academic ivory-tower marching band geeks who think it is great when Lucas Oil Stadium is actually 4/5 empty on Finals night! :silly:

Can you explain what you mean, Stu? It sounds to me like you're reiterating the tired refrain another commentator likes to throw around to dismiss any concerns raised here about drum corps: "It's just kids' marching band". (In fact, I think that response has been thrown at you before.)

Can you explain what you mean, Stu? It sounds to me like you're reiterating the tired refrain another commentator likes to throw around to dismiss any concerns raised here about drum corps: "It's just kids' marching band". (In fact, I think that response has been thrown at you before.)

I'll take a shot at what he might be saying. I think he's saying that trying to artificially raise the sophistication and complexity of the activity only contributes to its elitist attitude. Many fans of drum corps adopt the "it's a special activity, you wouldn't understand" or "it's drum corps, not band" kind of attitude.

Basically, thinking the way Channel3 does only results in us alienating new people from discovering/enjoying drum corps. Atleast, that's what I'm getting from it.

• Like 1

I'll take a shot at what he might be saying. I think he's saying that trying to artificially raise the sophistication and complexity of the activity only contributes to its elitist attitude. Many fans of drum corps adopt the "it's a special activity, you wouldn't understand" or "it's drum corps, not band" kind of attitude.

Basically, thinking the way Channel3 does only results in us alienating new people from discovering/enjoying drum corps. Atleast, that's what I'm getting from it.

Cappybara sort of gets my opinion. I will not say DCI is just marching band; the word 'just' belittles the activity as well as scholastic bands. DCI is also not Hollywood Motion Pictures, it is not Broadway Musical Productions nor Off-Broadway Plays, it is not High Symphonic Music nor Opera, it is not a Rock Concert Series nor Jazz Combos,... So what is it? DCI is the highest quality organization 'within the realm of marching band activity'. But to attempt to justify it into something that it is not (ie: calling it a legitimate performance art--long-lasting, powerful, and full of meaning) certainly creates the elitism promulgated by the academic ivory tower mindset in which the outside world gets their giggle. The mindset of crow-baring marching bands and DCI into so-called 'legitimate art' is also why DCI can only fill Lucas Stadium to just 1/5 capacity while Battle of the Bands, which focuses on shear entertainment, fills the 74,000 seat Atlanta Dome to overflowing the rafters. The more DCI gets forced into the mold of 'performance art full of meaning', and less an outlet to flat entertain the audience with high quality marching ensembles, we better get used to more than 50,000 empty seats or move DCI into the places where performance art--long-lasting, powerful, and full of meaning prospers, small, very small, art houses.

• Like 1

So what is it? DCI is the highest quality organization 'within the realm of marching band activity'. But to attempt to justify it into something that it is not (i.e., calling it a "legitimate performance art--long-lasting, powerful, and full of meaning") certainly creates the elitism promulgated by the academic ivory tower mindset in which the outside world gets their giggle.

Thanks to you both for clarifying.

Certainly drum corps is a legitimate performance art, simply by definition. It's a kind of performance, it's a kind of art, and nothing about it strikes me as illegitimate. The best art usually entertains. The best entertainment often is also art.

Thanks to you both for clarifying.

Certainly drum corps is a legitimate performance art, simply by definition. It's a kind of performance, it's a kind of art, and nothing about it strikes me as illegitimate. The best art usually entertains. The best entertainment often is also art.

See, we have different opinions yet can respect as well as learn from each other. But Channel3 tends to cross the condescending line by making statements such as "Depth of Concept is the catalyst for DCI's transformation from its 30 year larval stage into a legitimate performance art.” That is flat out claiming those like George Zingali, Bobby Hoffman, Ralph Pace, Steve Brubaker, and John Brazale were grub maggots who did not produce legitimate show designs. Moreover, when other views are presented Channel3 resorts to haughty statements like, “This is an example of the black and white binary thinking that prevails on here.” And it is that kind of elitism which produces the the ‘I am all-authoritative’ threads like Designer Toolbox, and in turn lends credence to those in the outside world who giggle at the self-importance which has infected many aspects within DCI (see G7).

• Like 2

... The best entertainment often is also art.

But here is an axiom that historically has been proven time and time again: The more something flat entertaining is manipulated by intellectuals into becoming a so-called legitimate performance art with an attempt by the designers to give that art a deep philosophical meaning, the number of people who buy tickets dwindles to the point where only a select few attend small art house performances.

Through the years, the shows I've enjoyed the most are ones that I can either "get" by following the show's theme, or "get" by taking that same show at its face value, without any deep thought or background knowledge required.

I wonder if there are times when we try to make drum corps into something it's really not.

I've seen Canadian Brass perform several times, either by themselves or with others (Star of Indiana's "Brass Theatre" once, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra a couple of times).

Now... those five Canadian Brass players are arguably among the best in the world on their respective instruments. Artists performing at a very high level of achievement. But their shows don't require any sort of deep thought or musings about the "meaning" of their performance. They simply flat-out entertain the audience, not only with virtuoso playing but also a large dose of fun and humor.

I guess my point is: If a group like that can, and does, make that sort of gut-level connection with an audience, and does so without sacrificing one iota of their world-class performance and quality levels, why can't more drum corps give it a try without getting too wrapped up in themselves?

Drum corps is great... and the top DCI units, in particular, are unbelievably good at what they do. But sometimes, I wonder if we are closing the door, to some degree, on opportunities to reach an even wider audience.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1