Phantom Regiment alum earns Boston Symphony spot

Congratulations to Mike!

And he is also a Spirit alumnus, as is his older brother, Chris (Chicago Symphony Orchestra principal trumpet). And dad Freddy, of course, was the founding director of Spirit of Atlanta. And Freddy's brother, Dan, was on Spirit's staff in the 70s. And Freddy's sister, Sharon, was a charter member of Spirit's guard. And Freddy's niece, Allison, marched in Spirit's guards in the mid-80s that took home the high guard trophies at DCI Finals a couple of times.

Edited by oldsoprano

Congratulations to Mike!

And he is also a Spirit alumnus, as is his older brother, Chris (Chicago Symphony Orchestra principal trumpet). And dad Freddy, of course, was the founding director of Spirit of Atlanta. And Freddy's brother, Dan, was on Spirit's staff in the 70s. And Freddy's sister, Sharon, was a charter member of Spirit's guard. And Freddy's niece, Allison, marched in Spirit's guards in the mid-80s that took home the high guard trophies at DCI Finals a couple of times.

I think that with just a little more patience, this family that is new to Drum Corps may just come to like it. ( haha!)

On a more serious note, congrats to Mike on this achievement.

Edited by BRASSO

I have an ignorant question, but first I want to share the love of "one of our own" making the big time. Good for you, Mike. And Thanks for how it makes the rest of us feel.

Now my question: What is "fourth/utility trumpet"? I understand first chair, second chair, etc. but I have no idea what a fourth/utility does. Does "utility" mean he could play, what, triangle?

I'm a percussionist, and an amateur one at that...

Congratulations to Mike!

This is just hilarious. I'd love to see this family's family room. The fireplace mantle, the den, the stuffed basement. I bet this house is a drum corps history like none other.

Wouldn't you love to live there for a summer?

4th chair/utility would be an extra trumpet if needed (many newer orchestral scores call for more than the traditional 3Tp 4Hn 3Tb 1Tu brass section), he could also play assistant 1st, be the 3rd in a pops concert where the 1st dosen't play and everyone else moves up a chair, etc. I doubt that triangle would be part of the mix...LOL

Congrats to Mike and his family on another tremendous accomplishment. And another nail in that old coffin that corps people "can't read music, can't play real music, can't play legit, etc., etc., etc. I fought that for years as a horn player who actually liked to march. Even got excluded from some things in college because I marched corps. I wasn't a "real horn player". Oh well. At least I'm still playing and teaching. That idiot got fired the next year for "having relations" with students tied to grades...

He does crossfit? I knew there was something I liked about him... Only real men/women can do crossfit. >.>

Congratulations to Mike!

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention.....Mike's mom, Lynda, sings in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra chorus.