BD versus Cavaliers...

Corps of the decade  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the corps of the decade?

• Blue Devils
    • Cavaliers
    • Tie

2000 to 2006 Cavaliers reigned. Phenomenal drill. Mesmerizing visual. Impeccable execution.

From 2006 to 2010 the Blue Devils have all but swept the championships. 2006 could have gone to either Cavies, PR or BD with all three within 1 point in Finals. 2007 BD. 2008 2nd by the smallest of margins possible on FINALS NIGHT! And the amazing undefeated back to backs of 2009 and 2010...

...that is, unless the Cavaliers (or perhaps Blooo shoots out the lights??) take the championship on Finals night.

But this has been a rather two-sided decade. Neither corps has spent much time outside the top 3. And only a couple of tags by Cadets and one by Phantom kept one of these two out of the winners circle. Not to mention back-to-back championships in 2009 and 2010 by BDB.

So the debate of the ages begins: WHO is the corps of the decade?

Yeah, technically 2010 begins a NEW decade. I get it. Work with me here.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say a tie for the two with maybe a slight edge to the Cavies for the early part of the decade. Both corps have performed most of my favorites over the timespan ('04, '07, '10 Cavies, '03, '04, '07, '08, '10 Devils), so great props to both.

Do you consider 2010 part of the last decade? I know some people who do, which is crazy! The 00's were 00-09, not 01-10!

Anyway, I pick the Cavaliers in each instance for what I feel changed the activity more than the Blue Devils have...although BD has definitely dominated the last 4 years.

Cavies, 5: BD, 3, possibly 4. In terms of wins, Cavies take it.

Cavies set the highest score ever, although BD came within 0.05.

Cavaliers spent two years out of the Top 3, and if memory serves, so did BD? At least one year (YOWZA!)

Cavaliers lead the drill reinvention, but also (imho) changes music for the worse. Pre-2000, music was far more melodic than now (again, imo). I also have trouble listening to more than 2 Cavies shows in a row, because the music bleeds together.

BD has just begun to reinvent the use of props (or at least bring them to a viable position in drill again). They are using props as a set piece, rather than a background, and I like it. However, at the same time they have broken down the drill. I appreciate the drill this year and its amazing staging, but sometimes I love to see their moving organic forms.

In my eyes: Cavies take the decade. In a few years, BD may take the "10 year span" title, but the 00s belong to Cavies.

Cavaliers. 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006. A three-peat, an undefeated season setting a record score, and a threat in other years.

G

Did GMichael just pick the Cavies over BD?!!?!?!!??! :lookaround:

All credit to the Blue Devils, but the Cavies have to take this one. They are clearly the "Corps of the Decade"

Cavies took 1st 5 times this decade, BD only 3. Oddly enough, they both placed 3rd and 4th exactly the same number of times (2 3rd places, 1 4th for each).

When you shake it out, the Cavies average placement this decade has been 1.9

BD was 2.1

Plus that Cavies 3-peat in the early part of the decade.

And 2010 is not part of the 00's decade, so we're starting over now.

Edited by geluf

Well, Cavies win in the two most important stats:

Championships

Cavaliers: 5

Blue Devils: 3

Average Finish

Cavaliers: 1.9

Blue Devils: 2.1

The Blue Devils did win more caption awards in the 00's though....

Blue Devils: 12 - (5 Brass, 5 Colorguard, 2 Percussion)

Cavaliers: 7 - (2 Brass, 4 Colorguard, 1 Percussion)

For those curious, these are the top 12 corps based on placements for the past decade (2000-2009):

1. The Cavaliers 1.9

2. Blue Devils 2.1

3. The Cadets 2.9

4. Phantom Regiment 4.6

5. Santa Clara Vanguard 5.1

6. Bluecoats 6.8

7. Boston Crusaders 7.9

8. Carolina Crown 8.1

9. Blue Knights (tie) 10.1

9. Glassmen (tie) 10.1

11. Madison Scouts 10.8

12. Crossmen 11.9

Spirit is 13th (13.1) (honorable mention)