Your 2011 "Most" Awards

Most surprised that I enjoyed the show: Carolina Crown. At first glance I assumed you’d be too over the top. I even had my mind made up that I’d be disappointed, believing that “Bohemian Rhapsody” belonged to Madison, but the opening chords blew me away and I was riveted from that point on.

Corps that made me most proud: Boston Crusaders. I’ve followed you longer than any existing DCI corps. Even in your lean years you’ve never let your fans down, and this year’s show reminded so many of us why we love you.

Most robbed: Phantom Regiment and Carolina Crown. You both should have placed higher.

Most sentimental corps: Troopers. Saw you first at the CYO Nationals in 1976 and have loved you ever since. Though I had to see you on a movie screen since Boston was not in your tour plans last year (or this year for that matter), as soon as you took the field all kinds of memories surfaced.

Most enthusiastic corps: Carolina Crown. They love performing “Rach Star” and they loved their audiences.

Most happy to see compete: Madison Scouts. Kind of wish “New York New York” was closer to 1977’s, but “Empire State of Mind” had all the makings of a Madison classic, and anytime I see you live you always make the show worthwhile.

Most complicated show: The Cadets. Saw you in Lawrence a week before finals, and everyone predicted that if the show was perfected, no one could beat it. You perfected it.

Corps from 2011 that I’d most like to see make the top 12 for the first time next year: the Academy. I only saw you via computer last year, but I was impressed and I’m hoping for bigger and better things next year.

• Like 9

Best Use of Body Movement Award: The Cadets

I have never been a fan of body movement for random purposes. Star of Indiana started this in 1992. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now, as it is visually dirty and doesn't make much sense. But...

But, I like the body movement when it advances the overall show. Cadets did it like no other, beginning with the opening sequence where the demons tried to slice off the heads of the angels in the horn line. Brilliant, and visually stunning.

Then came the final horn chords where the angels play with one hand, pushing the demons to their knees, pointing to heaven.

Genius.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

Best show for the corps in ten years: Blue Knights. Best BK show (in my opinion), probably my favorite 9th place show.

Best section during Cavaliers upside down madness: The pit! Did you see those splits? I didn't either since the DVD showed only the upside down tenors sad.gif

Most causalities: Phantom Regiment

Most catchy: Tie between Madison's Empire State of Mind and BD's Say a Little Prayer

Best ballad: Vanguard

Best preshow vibe: Bloo. Runner up: Boston Crusaders with them singing "Do You Hear the People Sing"

Edited by staplestable
  • Like 3

Cutest show: blue knights

Show you had to see twice, live, to really feel it: cavies

Most underappreciated: BD (they finished 2nd, but it feels like they finished 4th)

• Like 4

Most awesome closer - Madison

Most crowd response - Madison's closer

Most everything - Cadets!

Most improved corps - Crossmen!

For some reason I totally agree! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Most inoffensive use of synths - Crown

Most unnecessary use of synths - Regiment (No matter when it was played, it just seemed out of place with their music. It seemed to me like they were using synths because it was the "thing" to do, not necessarily that it in any way enhanced the show (which IMO, it did not.)

Most underrated show - Blue Stars

Most appreciated show after the fact - Bluecoats - Didn't like watching it, loved it on the CD.

Most over use of synths - Troopers.

• Like 1

I agree. Pioneers are “troopers” (in the sense of being pluggers, not our friends from Casper). The Blue Devils have never been my favorites, largely due to the fact I’m not the biggest jazz fan, but there are moments that no one does it better than Blue Devils, especially as their shows conclude, and in any show I’ve attended where the Blue Devils compete, even if it’s not their best year, the show can be electrifying because everyone wants to beat the Blue Devils though only a select few ever do.

Most dissed on DCP - Pioneer/BD

Most incredible hornline - Crown

And since the title did not limit 2011 to the drum corps season....Most excitement heading into 2012: Spirit (just from the Youtube clip)

• Like 4