Fanfare: 10 drum corps hats worthy of the Kentucky Derby

Michael - here are a couple of links to color photos of Connexion Quebec from a concise website of Quebec Drum Corps history. André Thériault has a huge collection of photos of Quebec-based and other corps posted here.

Some of the photos show the double-rimmed hat while others show a single rim hat.

I was not aware they were a continuation of Les Chatelaines de Laval after they went co-ed.

Connexion Quebec 1

Connexion Quebec 2

Wow.....let's be brutally honest here....it takes a REAL man to wear THOSE unis...especially the DM!

I think the only time I saw them live was the year they did the Indy Jones show in 87 (last year out)...completely diff unis (turbans for headgear, if I remember right)

Those photos make the Bridgemen look like the Troopers. :tongue:

I've received a number of e-mails appreciating the article, including a couple from folks who marched in those corps the year of the hats I wrote about. But I also received the following:

Your article about the corps hats was in poor taste. Even though many were quite unique and off the wall they didn't deserve the put downs that you gave some of them.

Some folk have no sense of fun.

• Like 1

I've received a number of e-mails appreciating the article, including a couple from folks who marched in those corps the year of the hats I wrote about. But I also received the following:

Your article about the corps hats was in poor taste. Even though many were quite unique and off the wall they didn't deserve the put downs that you gave some of them.

Oh man, I 'm just glad this respondent was in the minority in the feedback you got from the blast from the past folks. If we can't sometimes chuckle at ourselves from years ago then we've really gone off the rails on perspective here, imo. There are things from the Drum Corps past that deserve proper respect. Then there are some unis and hats from the past that require some degree of self deprecating humor and perspective. Some of these Corps were pretty good, but the hats and unis really were rather.... shall we say.... " unusual" or" unconventional " ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I swear I'm not making this up. I just received the following...

<Love the article about the hats!!! But.... how could you not mention or picture the Guardsmen?????????>

I swear I'm not making this up. I just received the following...

<Love the article about the hats!!! But.... how could you not mention or picture the Guardsmen?????????>

haha... that person must have had a " Senior Moment ", as you clearly showed the Guardsmen. ( good Corps by the way too )

Not necessarily a hat, but we must also mention Kiwanis Kavaliers and their superhero show -

http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=pictures&corpsid=47&corpstype=Junior

(couldn't find a good still photo - click on "picture gallery" then "Herndon, June 27, 2002")

Mike

That too was in the original article, but didn't make the editor's cut for top-ten.

Here's the text I wrote:

The show was titled, “Hall of Justice.” These hats/headgear/whatever did something no other hats ever came close to accomplishing in DCI history. When I figure out what that was, I’ll let you know.

That too was in the original article, but didn't make the editor's cut for top-ten.

Here's the text I wrote:

The show was titled, “Hall of Justice.” These hats/headgear/whatever did something no other hats ever came close to accomplishing in DCI history. When I figure out what that was, I’ll let you know.

:thumbup:

I think the Les Chatelains' hats take the cake. Think they ever did a "Sound of Music" show wearing those?

But how could you write an article about hats in drum corps and not say a word about the king of drum corps haberdashery himself, Roman Blenski? :cool: