Average age for corps

I remember in years past, people on DCP would say BD or Cavies had the highest average age of members in the corps. Is this information posted somewhere? Does anyone have the numbers for the average age of every corps? I know it does usually seem like Cavies, Cadets and BD have the larger numbers during the ageout ceremonies. I was wondering though, if someone claims BD has the oldest average of any corps, they must also know the numbers of every corps in order to make these statements. Do most corps these days make these numbers available to the public, because I don't remember seeing anything anywhere, and I think it would be interesting to see if the corps at the top do have the oldest average age, and in theory, if the lowest placing corps do indeed have the youngest membership average age.

I remember in years past, people on DCP would say BD or Cavies had the highest average age of members in the corps. Is this information posted somewhere? Does anyone have the numbers for the average age of every corps? I know it does usually seem like Cavies, Cadets and BD have the larger numbers during the ageout ceremonies. I was wondering though, if someone claims BD has the oldest average of any corps, they must also know the numbers of every corps in order to make these statements. Do most corps these days make these numbers available to the public, because I don't remember seeing anything anywhere, and I think it would be interesting to see if the corps at the top do have the oldest average age, and in theory, if the lowest placing corps do indeed have the youngest membership average age.

Its a good question. I do think Corps like BD, Cavs, Cadets probably have a higher average age most years than do lower placing Corps most years. But its hard to know for sure. I would think that not only age, but experience doing DCI Corps probably helps too. It just stands to reason that having experienced marchers, all things being equal talent wise, gives a Corps some edge heading into the season. I know that when I marched, having good retention from the previous year and experience in the ranks did seem to be helpful. It looked to me last year that Boston ( for example ) had a lot younger marchers in their Corps on the whole than did ( for example ) Cavs, BD, etc.

This always comes up. For corps who use an online data-base to manage the corps finding this information is very simple but it isn't necessarily publicized. But I have heard that for many years the corps that has had the oldest average age has won finals though have no proof or evidence of this.

Having seen the info, placement is directly related to average age. It holds true from first to last.

Having seen the info, placement is directly related to average age. It holds true from first to last.

And at one time, the more overage marchers one had, the better one usually did too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

yes, but that can also backfire...

Oh yes... and it has.