DCI 2012 Season Online Videos

No, last year, they had good music but a LOT of props, and they looked really ragged around this time. This year, they look much better as far as feet go, STILL have a LOT of props on the field, and yet we get the non-stop electronic babble coming out of the pit. Sometimes I think that the Blue Devils' staff WANTS us to hate them. They sure are good at ruining potentially great shows. I think if you took all of the electronic samples out, as dissonant and erratic as the music is, they could probably make it work. As it is, this is another show I currently (I'm trying to keep an open mind here, believe me) hate. I sure hope that changes as the season goes on. Last year's show had to grow on me. I still don't like all the props they used last year, but I can watch the show and enjoy it on at least some level. The good news is, it's June, and the Blue Devils will likely finish in the top 3 anyway, despite all of the atrocious design decisions (I don't care if it "fits" the title of the show) because they are just a great drum corps, and that's all there is to it. Do I have to like it? Nope. But I would like to. Help me, Blue Devils. Help ME....help YOU. HELP ME....HELP YOU. ($1.00 to Jerry Maguire)

Oh, and I LOVED "Constantly Risking Absurdity". In fact, it's one of my favorite BD shows EVER. You can be "absurd" and not loose your audience in the process.

Edited by Cardman
  • Like 1

Forgive the slight hijack of this thread. I did want to mention more video -- we've added Little Rock, AR to the LIVE schedule. http://cl.ly/2p1i2u1B0h0t3I0z1d1c

It's a new venue, but they seem to have what we need, so here goes. :)

Oh, and wasn't it adsurbity, Jeff?

Didn't mean to contribute to "hijacking", just giving my two cents since everyone else was posting about it. And it's funny you said that, because I ALMOST spelled it that way as a joke/nod to the famous mis-pronouncings during finals week.

Since you're here, when are you going to post last night's show to VOD? The skeptic in me thinks you are waiting until after the theater event starts so that people will have incentive to go to that. I hope I'm wrong and it's just taking a while. I remember last year you guys had stuff up really quickly, in the same night many times. That's why I'm asking. That, and I'm hungry for some drumcorps, dangit. :smile: Thanks!

• Like 2

I went to Pacific Crest's sneak preview that they shared with two open class corps Impulse and Gold. I was able to record PC's run of their show "Spectrum." Contrary to what people have said about it being like Colts '10, I think it's far from it. Definitely has a different sound to it. The horn section is the best I've heard it and the drill design is great. This show I feel has the potential of being 15th but no higher. I'd love to see my home team in the top 12 but I don't think it'll be this year. But I do believe their ballad will be in the running for best ballad of 2012. It's gorgeous and the best one I've heard from all the leaked footage so far.

P.S Not ever horn member is in the show due to missing rehearsals and portions of everydays due to school still being in session for the Southern California area. With that said, they have the spots filled, just that the performers didn't know all the show at the time so they stayed out of the show until they found a spot where they could come in at and perform.

You say there's no recognizable musical passages. There's an entire piece (almost) in the ballad, the Gymnopedie #1 by Satie, as well as the entire closer. As well as several other extended phrases.

I know when I think of recognizable music, I think of the Gymnopedie #1 by Satie. :blink:

• Like 5

Didn't mean to contribute to "hijacking", just giving my two cents since everyone else was posting about it. And it's funny you said that, because I ALMOST spelled it that way as a joke/nod to the famous mis-pronouncings during finals week.

Since you're here, when are you going to post last night's show to VOD? The skeptic in me thinks you are waiting until after the theater event starts so that people will have incentive to go to that. I hope I'm wrong and it's just taking a while. I remember last year you guys had stuff up really quickly, in the same night many times. That's why I'm asking. That, and I'm hungry for some drumcorps, dangit. :smile: Thanks!

We did the same thing last year; first thing you see is the cinema. Outside every youtube and vimeo post, of course. :) Expect it tonight.

• Like 1

For all the same reasons folks are voicing their displeasure with BD's show is exactly why it will be in the top 2. This is a judge friendly show not a drum corps fan's dream offering. It's technically tough and performed well with lots of exposure. The theme comes out well. It will be difficult to beat. That said, I haven't enjoyed a BD show since 2003 with the exception of 2008. I'll understand why it should win if it wins, but I don't have to like it.

• Like 1

I think folks are getting way ahead of themselves. BD has performed live once and only 2 low-quality videos have surfaced on YouTube. All the folks that have seen the show live seem to be raving about it.

Was at the Akron show and there are some phenomenal productions on the field the summer. Can't wait to see where SCV and BD fall into the mix.

• Like 1