Hinchliffe Stadium, Paterson, N.J.

Came upon a place that I believe I marched in back in the 60's called Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, New Jersey. Think we called it Hinchcliff back in the day.

Anybody recall this place and if they attended or participated in any contests there back then?

I know I competed all over north Jersey and this place sure rings a bell. It's listed in the Register of Historic places in New Jersey. There's nothing listed as far as drum corps is concerned on Wiki, but has several historic teams and events written about it.

Edited by gsksun4

"Hinchcliffe Stadium":

YEP!!! GREAT drum Corps legacy. MANY drum corps shows were held here, with the 1962 through 1964 Greater New York Championships. Our Lady of Lourdes won in 62, Dumont Police Cadets in 63, and St Raphaels Buccaneers in 1964.

"OLO Lourdes" held their annual Circuit show at Hinchcliffe, as did several other GNY, PJ and local corps.

Many good memories.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Came upon a place that I believe I marched in back in the 60's called Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, New Jersey. Think we called it Hinchcliff back in the day.

Anybody recall this place and if they attended or participated in any contests there back then?

I know I competed all over north Jersey and this place sure rings a bell. It's listed in the Register of Historic places in New jersey. There's nothing listed as far as drum corps is concerned on Wiki, but has several historic teams and events written about it.

Not the stadium, but in my Garfield days we held our winter marching practices at the Paterson Armory. Used to have to dodge the military vehicles.

Eventually, the back wall fell down and that was the end of that! :tongue:

"Hinchcliffe Stadium":

YEP!!! GREAT drum Corps legacy. MANY drum corps shows were held here, with the 1962 through 1964 Greater New York Championships. Our Lady of Lourdes won in 62, Dumont Police Cadets in 63, and St Raphaels Buccaneers in 1964.

"OLO Lourdes" held their annual Circuit show at Hinchcliffe, as did several other GNY, PJ and local corps.

Many good memories.

Elphaba

Hinchcliffe played host to the inaugural Grand Prix in 1965 ...

:-)

Yes I do, last major corp show there I can recall marching in was (May?) '66. Specifically recall Angelica was judging bugles and I hit a stupid early attack, Don turned around looked directly at me, shook his pencil and hit the sheet........... that show was BURNED into my memory!.........it was however the LAST bugle error I ever made :rolleyes: heh, heh!

Rainy afternoon here in San Diego, in fact a mini-deluge right now.......... I'm sitting back and watching the '67 CYO Nationals, another show with much better memories, just put in the Royal-Airs DVD. Oh to be that young again.

I seem to recall being at that venue several times over the years, but that particular hot and humid evening in 1965 stands out.

After we performed, I watched in amazement while the Rochester Crusaders absolutely rocked the place. I don't think I had ever seen them before. One of my Sunriser corpsmates turned to me and made the prophetic statement, "Those cats could win Nationals!"

Yup.

I drive past old Hinchcliff Stadium several times a week,while working. What a shame!The place is in shambles.There has been several attemps to renovate it. It never get past the planning stage.Besides many drum corps.shows,there was stock car racing,concerts, semi pro football and semi pro basseball events.The place has a lot of history.

Mike, the armory is shut down now and also in very bad shape.

Anyone remember Newark School Stadium on Bloomfield Ave.,Newark?That was in very bad shape too.The city of Newark did a beautiful job renovating it.Turf field and all.

I drive past old Hinchcliff Stadium several times a week,while working. What a shame!The place is in shambles.There has been several attemps to renovate it. It never get past the planning stage.Besides many drum corps.shows,there was stock car racing,concerts, semi pro football and semi pro basseball events.The place has a lot of history.

Mike, the armory is shut down now and also in very bad shape.

Anyone remember Newark School Stadium on Bloomfield Ave.,Newark?That was in very bad shape too.The city of Newark did a beautiful job renovating it.Turf field and all.

Get a load of how "Little Roosevelt" in Union City was rebuilt ... remember the 4th of July Free Show?

140.jpg

That stadium was a hot place for drum corps in the 60's. The Penn Jersey Championships were held there during my time. Lots of great competition on that field with the likes of SAC, St. Lucy's, Woodsiders, Bpt.PAL, Audubon, St. Brendans and many more.

During that time, if it was Saturday and ya had nothing to do, you'd flip open DCN and there was usually a contest in that area.

They also had great hot dogs with that red onion sauce from the vendors out on the street.

Those were the days when you had to change into uniform anywhere. Street, school, parking lot out of the back of yer car. Nobody gave a fuss if you were seen in your drawers if you were putting on a uniform.

I worked the Grand Prix when it was at Hinchcliffe in 1988. I'm guessing that very well might have been the last drum corps show in that stadium. The place was pretty beaten up by 1988.