DCI horn sponsors?

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Horn sponsorships are actually one of the greatest things to happen to the sport imo.  Its a win win.  Corporations get lots of free advertising, corps get to play on brand new horns and sell them for profit.  

Fun fact: "Horn sponsor" does not mean free. In most cases, there's a lease or purchase involved, though it's usually discounted.

2 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Horn sponsorships are actually one of the greatest things to happen to the sport imo.  Its a win win.  Corporations get lots of free advertising, corps get to play on brand new horns and sell them for profit.  

For profit?  Partial return on investment... maybe

32 minutes ago, Kamarag said:

Fun fact: "Horn sponsor" does not mean free. In most cases, there's a lease or purchase involved, though it's usually discounted.

Not from the many corps Ive talked to.  Ive talked to at least 7, 3 of which are out of the top 12.  In fact, I havent heard of ANY to have any fees.  Maybe shipping?

Edited by BoaDci

14 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Not from the many corps Ive talked to.  Ive talked to at least 7, 3 of which are out of the top 12.  In fact, I havent heard of ANY to have any fees.  Maybe shipping?

Who have you talked to with those corps? Director? Staff? Members? Also, which instrument companies do those corps use?

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Who have you talked to with those corps? Director? Staff? Members? Also, which instrument companies do those corps use?

Staff, Yamaha.  

51 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

Staff, Yamaha.  

I see a scenario like this:  A corps buys all new brass (or percussion) at a great discount, for the upcoming season maybe at cost or slightly more than cost)  so the manufacturer gets the marketing and publicity (all the better the more successful the corps is that year, especially in brass).  The corps gets the new brass (or percussion) at ST for instance, minimizing the time they have the cash out.  The corps immediately markets the new equipment and gets a commitment to buy the new/used via a pre-purchase from the purchasing org).  The season ends, the corps gathers the now gently used new brass to deliver to the purchasing organization.  They either break even or make a little money possible profit.  The purchasers get equipment used for maybe 12 weeks.  Not a bad deal all around.

Granted some corps may get some (or all) equipment for free, but they might also have a long term level of excellence that enables a premium deal and may make a long term commitment with the manufacturer.  Just my guess.

4 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I see a scenario like this:  A corps buys all new brass (or percussion) at a great discount, for the upcoming season maybe at cost or slightly more than cost)  so the manufacturer gets the marketing and publicity (all the better the more successful the corps is that year, especially in brass).  The corps gets the new brass (or percussion) at ST for instance, minimizing the time they have the cash out.  The corps immediately markets the new equipment and gets a commitment to buy the new/used via a pre-purchase from the purchasing org).  The season ends, the corps gathers the now gently used new brass to deliver to the purchasing organization.  They either break even or make a little money possible profit.  The purchasers get equipment used for maybe 12 weeks.  Not a bad deal all around.

Granted some corps may get some (or all) equipment for free, but they might also have a long term level of excellence that enables a premium deal and may make a long term commitment with the manufacturer.  Just my guess.

No, seriously from what I have been told instruments are given for free.  Corps are allowed to sell them and get all revenue.  Those are only for the corps with sponsorships.

3 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

No, seriously from what I have been told instruments are given for free.  Corps are allowed to sell them and get all revenue.  Those are only for the corps with sponsorships.

You are incorrect, even with Yamaha.

• Like 1