Memorial Day Picnics/Previews

Was anyone able to visit the various picnics and previews that were on today? Any interesting reports? I'm especially curious about the Blue Knights and Academy.

Sometimes I hate having to live vicariously through everyone else. 

I went to BK's  potluck picnic and watched their presentation.

Their quality was about what you would expect given that they've been in all-days for one week and a number of their members just got out of school last week,  I'd say they sound better than this point in previous years.

Before the presentation, I watched them rehearsing drill for Wave and part of Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra.  During the presentation, they did the opener on the field, the concerto and a couple encore pieces in an arc.  My impressions of the music selections:  Wave...smooth.  Concerto...driving...forceful...a beast of a piece for the whole corps.

The opening drill is very interesting.  They start with trumpet and mello horns on the ground and an extensive interaction between those members and the guard and then move on, with a pretty cool moment when all sound stops except for the "Whoosh!" of a flag toss.  I'm looking forward to seeing the guard uni's and how their look combines with the hornline's uni's.  I don't know what changes there might be in those hornline uniforms.

I was disappointed they didn't play 107 Steps or Hide and Seek, though I heard 107 Steps at the camp last month.  I'm sure I'll hear those pieces at their send-off show.

Mark Arnold only spoke briefly about the show theme.  He mentioned " i " (eye) having multiple layers of meaning involving how one sees themselves and how one is seen by others, so I'm thinking this will be another one of BK's "metaphysical" shows.  Perhaps viewers will once again be saying, "Huh??".  LOL!!

My son and I had a good time.  He got to see and talk to former and current members and staff that he knew.  The corps and the people attending went all out with the chow.  Sooo much of it!!  Someone even brought boxes and boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts...a big hit with the members, for sure.

Oh...and that new food truck!  That sucker is simply awesome!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Their quality was about what you would expect given that they've been in all-days for one week and a number of their members just got out of school last week,  I'd say they sound better than this point in previous years.

Before the presentation, I watched them rehearsing drill for Wave and part of Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra.  During the presentation, they did the opener on the field, the concerto and a couple encore pieces in an arc.  My impressions of the music selections:  Wave...smooth.  Concerto...driving...forceful...a beast of a piece for the whole corps.

The opening drill is very interesting.  They start with trumpet and mello horns on the ground and an extensive interaction between those members and the guard and then move on, with a pretty cool moment when all sound stops except for the "Whoosh!" of a flag toss.  I'm looking forward to seeing the guard uni's and how their look combines with the hornline's uni's.  I don't know what changes there might be in those hornline uniforms.

I was disappointed they didn't play 107 Steps or Hide and Seek, though I heard 107 Steps at the camp last month.  I'm sure I'll hear those pieces at their send-off show.

Mark Arnold only spoke briefly about the show theme.  He mentioned " i " (eye) having multiple layers of meaning involving how one sees themselves and how one is seen by others, so I'm thinking this will be another one of BK's "metaphysical" shows.  Perhaps viewers will once again be saying, "Huh??".  LOL!!

My son and I had a good time.  He got to see and talk to former and current members and staff that he knew.  The corps and the people attending went all out with the chow.  Sooo much of it!!  Someone even brought boxes and boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts...a big hit with the members, for sure.

Cheers

That was exactly the type of review I was hoping to get. 

5 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Awesome. Does it seem like they'll start tour with the full show on the field?

44 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

BK will have its full show on the field long before they start tour.

Is Vegas going to have a line on that? I'd be up for a wager when I'm there mid-June.

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Awesome. Does it seem like they'll start tour with the full show on the field?

I hope they do...but I really have no idea.

I don't know much about how the staff or the designers do stuff, but while watching the rehearsal I noticed the guard staff kept changing stuff from one reset to another.  For example, she'd tell them "Okay this time toss sabers on A count for B revolutions" and then next time say "toss sabers on C count for D revolutions".  Perhaps the drill is still in flux?

Edited by Mycroft

Maybe they're working the entrance of The Food Truck™ as a prop for the closer come finals week?

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I hope they do...but I really have no idea.

I don't know much about how the staff or the designers do stuff, but while watching the rehearsal I noticed the guard staff kept changing stuff from one reset to another.  For example, she'd tell them "Okay this time toss sabers on A count for B revolutions" and then next time say "toss sabers on C count for D revolutions".  Perhaps the drill is still in flux?

That is not too unusual in my experience with Bluecoats. I see changes in what is taught every day. Sometimes significant changes.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1