DB Meter readings for finals

torn8o

As was requested the last time I was on this board. Here are my DB readings for finals night.

NOTE: I was on the 40 yard line (maybe a step or two outside)...side one ON THE TOP level. Still pretty close to center.

From Loudest to softest

CorpsVets - 104

Buccaneers - 102.

Renegades - 101 (tie)

Cabs - 101 (tie)

Bushwackers - 100

Minesota Brass - 99 (tie)

Empire Statesmen - 99 (tie)

Brigs - 97

Carolina Gold - 96

Hurricanes - 95

Honorable Mention (reading taken by one of MCL's visual instructors from the 45 yard line side one, top level)

Music City Legend - 96 :)

And by the way, these are ALL "extreme" volume levels. One book that I have on "sound" says..."anything above 90 DBs can cause serious hearing damage"....and then later in the paragraph says that "anyone in the midst of 90+ DBs over an extended period of time should wear ear plugs"! :)

Edited by torn8o

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done!

Question out of curiosity...why would you bring a DB meter to a show?

Good question...I bring it not only to drum corps shows but also rehearsals for THREE reasons.

Reason #1 - A DB meter records "sound pressure". Which means that in order for it to actually regiester at higher levels, there has to be a certain amount of vibrations. Which also means that in the case of a brass section, you have to be "in tune" and playing with a good quality of sound to register at the higher levels. You can't just OVERBLOW to make it read higher because "distortion" will get in the way of the "pressure" created by the vibrations of the sound. You actually have to play well. So, I consider it a good indicator (though not something to nessesarily live by) as to how well an ensemble is projecting through good qualities of sound and intonation.

Reason #2 - I PERSONALLY am very interested in the subject of "sound" these days. I play trumpet for a living and at one time asked a sound man who works for a band I play in why HE uses it. He began to explain to me why and HOW he uses it and ... well ... it became a subject of interest for me. So, I use it mostly for PERSONAL interest. Okay, to put it blunty, I'm a GEEK! :P

Reason #3 - It's just fun! :)

Edited by torn8o

Good question...I bring it not only to drum corps shows but also rehearsals for THREE reasons.

Reason #1 - A DB meter records "sound pressure". Which means that in order for it to actually regiester at higher levels, there has to be a certain amount of vibrations. Which also means that in the case of a brass section, you have to be "in tune" and playing with a good quality of sound to register at the higher levels. You can't just OVERBLOW to make it read higher because "distortion" will get in the way of the "pressure" created by the vibrations of the sound. You actually have to play well. So, I consider it a good indicator (though not something to nessesarily live by) as to how well an ensemble is projecting through good qualities of sound and intonation.

Reason #2 - I PERSONALLY am very interested in the subject of "sound" these days. I play trumpet for a living and at one time asked a sound man who works for a band I play in why HE uses it. He began to explain to me why and HOW he uses it and ... well ... it became a subject of interest for me. So, I use it mostly for PERSONAL interest. Okay, to put it blunty, I'm a GEEK! :P

Reason #3 - It's just fun! :)

Thanks for the interesting info....very cool.

Good info on the vibrations/distortions/in tune = louder.

Jim McFarlain, the horn instructor for Renegades, has really hit that ball home w/ the hornline. LOUD may be good, but GOOD LOUD is better. You can't fake GOOD LOUD. :P

That would be "Jim McFarland" ... god of brass! :lol:

Thats pretty interesting. Did you go to the Alumni show, I would love to see some of those numbers!!

Yeah but he just said that the DB meter registers higher if the lines are playing in tune.

JUST KIDDIN! :P