Remember.....

Indoor concerts in April? I remember attending a show somewhere south of Buffalo (can't remember where) and we (Royal Coachmen) were in attendance along with Lakeview Shoreliners and Dunkirk Patriots and Hamburg Kingsmen. I believe the one show we saw the official merger of Lakeview and 71st Regiment to form Imperial Regiment.

Not having to travel more than a couple of miles to get to rehearsals. I used to walk to mine.

Indoor concerts in April? I remember attending a show somewhere south of Buffalo (can't remember where) and we (Royal Coachmen) were in attendance along with Lakeview Shoreliners and Dunkirk Patriots and Hamburg Kingsmen. I believe the one show we saw the official merger of Lakeview and 71st Regiment to form Imperial Regiment.

Not having to travel more than a couple of miles to get to rehearsals. I used to walk to mine.

I remember competing in an indoor show at the Rochester War Memorial on February 27, 1965 hosted by the newly merger Grey Knight Crusaders. The show included St. Joes of Batavia, Magnificent Yankees of Utica, Blue Rocks from Delaware, York Lions from Toronto, the Graniteers from Rochester, NH and us, the Shamrocks of Shortsville, NY. The Albion Grenadiers, the Grey Knight Crusaders and the Emerald Cadets also performed exibitions.

We also competed in a March 27, 1966 standstill indoor show in Utica, NY competing against St. Roccos, OLPH Ridgemen, Emerald Statesmen and the Apalachin Grenadiers hosted by the Magnificent Yankees.

I also remember attending several winter concerts by the Senior Geneva Appleknockers in the mid-1950s through early 1960s. They would play almost 2 hours of jazz arrangement by Jack Bullock. They would feature several soloists such as Ken Peterson and Don Phipps. They sometimes had more horn players on the winter circuit than during the summer parade and contest events. They were the first corps to include an upright string bass (played by Don Phipps) and a contra bass which was developed by Jack Bullock with the Whaley-Royce Company approximately 10 years before the over-the-shoulder model became popular. The corps was innovative and ahead of their time.

So, yes I do remember indoor drum corp events before April.............

My first contest with Northernaires.....

162995_530868693361_64001377_31429621_8323172_n.jpg

Scores! Very cool. Can't remember if we were judged or exhibition February, March or April 1969. I'm in the back row. Henry, our horn instructor, conducted. Far left was Harry, our drill instructor, DM and he was a firefighter. He asked me and Debbie to join drum corps. We did. bottom right, in the pit, rifle line, Janet and Donna. Thank you FrankBeMe for stirring my memory :-)

1969-firefighters.jpg

Drumfest was the biggest one in the Boston area. The place was always packed. People couldn't wait until Memorial day for the first show so this April show was always a big draw.

63standstill.jpg

I loved indoor shows. Still do if you can get lucky enough to find one.

I had the great fortune to perform in "The Evening With the Corps" twice and the atmosphere was electric,,and the sound,,,WOW!