Muchachos disqualfication controversy

. . . inching closer . . .

Bob Briske, the contest director of prelims that night, confirms that Don Pesceone brought the still untabulated scoresheets with him to the Hilton Hotel that night, and asked several of the assembled corps directors/DCI Board members what he should do with the sheets.

They said since the Muchachos were disqualified, that they didn't technically "compete," so their score was therefore meaningless. They agreed that the sheets should be destroyed. That's what happened to them right then and there.

Never tabulated. By anyone.

So, I still have a desire to hear the "end" of this story from Don Pesceone himself, so I'll continue to pursue that for awhile. If I have any luck contacting him (can't get a valid phone number anywhere from anyone yet!), I'll keep ya' posted . . .

Not to get too philosophical, but since the Muchachos were competing with members who were not qualified to compete, there's no way to say that they could have ever 'won' anyway - they competed with a rigged game, so any score would be meaningless.

Awesome to see Paul's work in tracking this down though, even if it IS a little sad to lose the mystery of the thing. Ah well, as Shaw said, "you've learnt something - that always feels at first like you've lost something."

Not to get too philosophical, but since the Muchachos were competing with members who were not qualified to compete, there's no way to say that they could have ever 'won' anyway - they competed with a rigged game, so any score would be meaningless.

Awesome to see Paul's work in tracking this down though, even if it IS a little sad to lose the mystery of the thing. Ah well, as Shaw said, "you've learnt something - that always feels at first like you've lost something."

EXACTLY.........having "professional" musicians in a "junior" activity is the lowest type of behavior I have ever seen in DC. Thanks Paul for confirming the rumor that there were over 20 members over age.

Pauls post should be pinned so we dont have to go through this exercise again!

Yep, Rich, you expressed my sentiments as well: Thanks Paul for the sound research on this matter. This isn't just because I happened to march in Scouts that year, but the way they pushed the envelop so far to gain a competitive edge. . . . Man, I mean 3 definites plus c. 20 members on strong circumstantial evidence: I didn't know it was that out of control with Muchachos (it makes one wonder about 1974).

Too bad, their staff ruined a great drum corps. What I find perplexing is that many of the Muchachos staffers went on to Bayonne and had a redux of overage member(s) in 1977. Why didn't they learn from 1975?

Dan

Too bad, their staff ruined a great drum corps. What I find perplexing is that many of the Muchachos staffers went on to Bayonne and had a redux of overage member(s) in 1977. Why didn't they learn from 1975?

"Stupid is as stupid does"

- Forest Gump

:sshh:

Edited by LancerFi

Guest BadBridgemenContra

I have removed my posts due to the fact that I am surrounded by so many experts in drum corps. Truth has become irrelevent and undesired.

DCP has become a bit too elitist and cliquey for me.

Edited by BadBridgemenContra