Chord Progressions

jameseuph

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well all F tuning is doing is taking the root, adding the 5th, and then adding the third degree of the scale. Very simple, but sounds amazing. I like taking chords and building on them 'beefing them up' if you will. As well as going down or up chromaticaly, raising or lowering each part of the chord each time, which will eventualy come to a resolution. Sometimes I mess around with chords, my favorite is I, V,mV, IV, augmented IV, II, I. B)

Well i thought i had my own creation, then afterwards found out Cadets have it as one of thier Progression, its a completly chromatic bass line. I - V6 - V7 / IV - IV6 - Ger6 - I 6/4 - V7 - I... ITs very cool , although cadets do a suspension on the V rather than a I 6/4 V7 I... but its all the same.. Although another one i like is I - bVI - iv - iidim6 - V sus4-3 - I Its a nice one...

• 1 month later...
Sometimes I mess around with chords, my favorite is I, V,mV, IV, augmented IV, II, I.

there are no minor fives ;-)

there are no minor fives ;-)

:spit: Huh? How do you figure? The minor five (v) does exist. It occurs naturally as the dominant of a minor key, unless there is a raised seventh, aka leading tone. However, it is very modal sounding so in most Western music we opt for the leading tone.

To give you an example, lets use a minor (relative minor of C Major-- no flats, no sharps). The chord built off the 5th scale degree would be e-g-b (minor v). If we opt for the leading tone, then we get e-g#-b (Major V).

Ok Guys, I come to drum corps planet to get away from Theory fanatics at Berklee... lol :rolleyes:

I'm only messing around... yes the v can exist. However with Greecian modes as we now know were translated improperly. One of the reasons why we have Melodic and Harmonic minors, or adversly, the reason why we don't have 2 minors, depending on the school of thought.

In other words... It's a DARN good thing DCI didn't vote to drop on field warm-ups!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Ok time to get back to scoring this short film... what am I saying "get back to" I need to actually start! :P

Peace,

Cullen.

(editting by request)

Edited by Screeaamer

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the F tuning sequence to the 1995 Blue Devils on field? They play F tuning in major, then going into minor. Anyone know the sequence?

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Just wait until you hear SoCal Dream's "Chord Progression #1" It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tasty!!!

God, I love being in front of that line!

p.s. Re F tuning...at the Dream practice in early March, Jesus Soliz told everyone to pull F Tuning...I just shrugged...####, I know THIS one!

We have F maj tuning, G Maj tuning, and G Min tuning at Sky this year.

The G Min sounds really really cool.

I have C tuning that we did last year somewhere too....