BD, SCV and Youtube

I posted a few videos of SCVs drumline from back in 2004. Then I was notified by Youtube that they were removed. I asked who requested the action to impose copyright infringement. They replied Santa Clara Vanguard. I was stunned!! <**> . The video was taped in a public parking lot. Am I missing something here, Why would SCV take such action? Posting parking lot footage of drumlines helps the activity and I wasn't aware that it's against the law to tape something in public and posted on youtube. BD has been doing this as well. I was informed that it's been primarily these 2 corps. Can someone shed some light on this issue. I'm really not happy about what they are doing. <**> . I have filed a counter notice with Youtube!

Edited by Jeffe77

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted a few videos of SCVs drumline from back in 2004. Then I was notified by Youtube that they were removed. I asked who requested the action to impose copyright infringement. They eplied Santa Clara Vanguard. I was stunned!! <**> . The video weas taped in a publi parking lot. Am I missing something here, Why would SCV being doing this? Posting parking lot footage of drumlines helps the activity and I wasn't aware that it's against the law to tape something public and posted on youtube. BD has been doing this as well. I was informed that it's been primarily these 2 corps doing this. Can someone shed some light on this issue. I'm really not happy about what they are doing. <**> . I have filed a counter notice with Youtube!

If you were taping copywritten material then it would be illegal. You don't have the copywrite clearance that SCV paid for.

I posted a few videos of SCVs drumline from back in 2004. Then I was notified by Youtube that they were removed. I asked who requested the action to impose copyright infringement. They eplied Santa Clara Vanguard. I was stunned!! <**> . The video weas taped in a publi parking lot. Am I missing something here, Why would SCV being doing this? Posting parking lot footage of drumlines helps the activity and I wasn't aware that it's against the law to tape something public and posted on youtube. BD has been doing this as well. I was informed that it's been primarily these 2 corps doing this. Can someone shed some light on this issue. I'm really not happy about what they are doing. <**> . I have filed a counter notice with Youtube!

I'm quite sure that all corps only receive the rights to arrange the music they play for competitive shows and for official corps or DCI recordings. BD and SCV obviously feel that they have a responsibility to themselves and to the owners and legal distributors of the music to prevent it being shown for free on YouTube. Other corps perhaps have different concerns.

Brass warm-ups or percussion warm-ups that are merely exercises and are not copyrighted are a different story.

I, too, miss seeing the shows for free, but the corps would certainly seem to be within their rights.

Edited by mfrontz

If you were taping copywritten material then it would be illegal. You don't have the copywrite clearance that SCV paid for.

It's public, no copyright notices, it's not in a venue.

I'm quite sure that all corps only receive the rights to arrange the music they play for competitive shows and for official corps or DCI recordings. BD and SCV obviously feel that they have a responsibility to themselves and to the owners and legal distributors of the music to prevent it being shown for free on YouTube. Other corps perhaps have different concerns.

Brass warm-ups or percussion warm-ups that are merely exercises and are not copyrighted are a different story.

I, too, miss seeing the shows for free, but the corps would certainly seem to be within their rights.

I posted SCV's Drumline warming up, not the book/show

It's public, no copyright notices, it's not in a venue.

If the exercise was written by someone in the organization, they can still request to have it pulled anyways.

It isn't against the law to tape in the public lot for personal use. However, it is a violation of copyright to then take that footage and throw it all over the internet.

Warmup or show music, doesn't matter. Both can and are protected under copyright.

If the exercise was written by someone in the organization, they can still request to have it pulled anyways.

Ok, so the staff who is fully aware of people taping their drumline doesn't say anything all season in numerous parking lot's across the country, but yet they decide to enforce rules when someone post the video for all to see for free.

I agree that if SCV feels that they want to protect their music, then adivse everyone before they warm up in the parking lot not to tape their warmups. They can't have both ways.

Edited by Jeffe77