Crown's Brass Performance Score

There are always things to point out and critique, but sound quality is not one I would mention with Crown. Balance and blend are outstanding. Beautiful dark sound. That is their strength. I would call them full rather then loud.

Have you heard Crown live yet this year?

They are playing louder than I've ever heard them before. A very powerful sound and VERY LOUD!!!

Yet with the same full rich sound they've had the last few years.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it worth? Crown's percussion is performing right up there with the elite so far this year.

Coming directly from someone on Crown's staff. . .they are much improved, but not quite by that much.

I think the issue is that this is the same judge as the night before giving them a lower score... is this supposed to mean that they got worse and not better in a day?

I don't think its a conspiracy. I like Crown's hornline as much as the next guy for the last few years, but their clarity in between big hits was often muddled when I saw them in Benson. It reminds me of their 2005 show, where we were all in love with their big impact statements that some overlooked nasty releases and issues in technical passages.

*I'm no brass guy.

IMO, Crown is getting into the same issues right now that Phantom stuggles with early on. They spend a lot of time working on a huge fat sound and it's working, but in technical passages they struggle lining it up. If they can nail the tech stuff I can see those numbers rising dramatically. Nobody is questioning them having one of the best SOUNDS in DCI these days.

Have you heard Crown live yet this year?

They are playing louder than I've ever heard them before. A very powerful sound and VERY LOUD!!!

Yet with the same full rich sound they've had the last few years.

Why yes I have, and I am very familiar with their brass program. I am just suggesting that the word loud might be better applied to some other lines who might push volume over quality of sound.

You are correct, they are producing a great deal of volume as well as quality. I think that when they get some the tech stuff cleaned and lined up, they will see better brass marks.

I think the issue is that this is the same judge as the night before giving them a lower score... is this supposed to mean that they got worse and not better in a day?

Again, this happens all the time. They may have gotten better, but something may have happend on the field that night...a mental error, a bad pitch here or there. Anything. You're talking about over 60 brass players striving to be perfect. The score isn't going to go up every night.

i've only been able to hear them from the apd's and the encorps video, but after really listening to the show and pulling it apart they have got some hard #### in there. one section that really gets me is the really long 8th note section in red pony, the attention to styling in there is really great in my oppinion. i will say that william tell is still somewhat dirty, but its also incredibly demanding and we have already been able to hear the improvement on that since annapolis. the final lap of the show (ha, final lap...i made a pun...) gives me chills bc i feel they sound their cleanest, loudest, and most energetic despite just having done the entire show. oh, and have you seen how much theyre flying on that field?! i cant wait to see how things turn out come finals. i would love to see the hornline medal come finals, but we'll just have to see

My understanding of the brass performance caption is not how well each player performs their role on the instrument but how well each player performs together. I have no doubt that each member can play their ### off. Can they do it together? I think with this much time left in the season they can do that and then some.

I don't think its a conspiracy. I like Crown's hornline as much as the next guy for the last few years, but their clarity in between big hits was often muddled when I saw them in Benson. It reminds me of their 2005 show, where we were all in love with their big impact statements that some overlooked nasty releases and issues in technical passages.

*I'm no brass guy.

That's pretty accurate. Like everyone else, I love their overall "sound." When they open up and hit you with some well sustained long tones, it is nothing short of glorious. However, when they aren't in their long tone power chord zone, I don't find all that much about them that is as consistently as excellent as the corps who are beating them in brass. They are very good, though.