Controversial Shows

Suncoast Sound '88: "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble"

From the Suncoast Web site: Pushing the envelope again in 1988, Suncoast produced another original show entitled "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child - written for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble," composed by Robert Smith. It was a conceptual show, depicting how children imitate adults and later, as adults, play children's games. The musically and visually challenging show placed the corps in 10th place at finals.

Oh! I'd love to see that show.

This may not be controversial, but in 1976, the Blue Devils won their first DCI championship and they did it with an all modern jazz program. From what I understand, that was a pretty big event.

Edited by dccorpsfan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suncoast Sound '88: "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble"

From the Suncoast Web site: Pushing the envelope again in 1988, Suncoast produced another original show entitled "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child - written for Bugles, Percussion and Visual Ensemble," composed by Robert Smith. It was a conceptual show, depicting how children imitate adults and later, as adults, play children's games. The musically and visually challenging show placed the corps in 10th place at finals.

Also noteworthy: Check out www.suncoastsound.org. There is a history of the corps, a few sound clips (the "ending hit" of 1988 cracks me up) and an alumni list. A lot of successful drum corps people were marching members or staff members of Suncoast, including Howard Weinstein (program coordinator for Boston) and Adam Sage (guard caption head/designer for Phantom Regiment) among many others.

This may not be controversial, but in 1976, the Blue Devils won their first DCI championship and they did it with an all modern jazz program. From what I understand, that was a pretty big event.

A lot of people didn't care for the show, but I liked it. I thought parts of it were brilliant. The ending is amazing. It just leaves you scratching your head -- and thinking.

Not sure what it was about Suncoast, but I was always kind of in awe of them for some reason. And I was in a corps that never got beat by them in 88 or 89. The 1985 Florida Suite show is still one of my favorites.

Edited by GSNewell

Probably my favorite BD show of all time! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

Probably my favorite BD show of all time! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^

Mine too. I'm kind of a nerd about it, though, because I figured out how to play the bassline from Channel One Suite on my glockenspiel :D

Edited by dccorpsfan

IMHO, it was a big event because BD came up so fast, (24, 9, 3, 1), not because they played an all-jazz program. People's jaws were on the ground at the end of "Channel One Suite" at the power of the brass and the re-creation of the drum set in the drum line. It was transcendent to witness the corps that year.

I'd think that Garfield's '72 "No More War" (Try explaining the peace symbol in your show to the Legion judges) or the '76 Bridgemen show (turning about every drum corps convention on its ear) would be two of the most controversial.

Suncoast Sound 1984

Although other corps had included certain elements of controversy, Suncoast's 84 show was all about the 60's and the peace movement. It created quite a stir at the time, seeing as how the cold war was still in full swing at that point.

The MIA bracelets they wore, playing their show at the actual Wall. I don't know how they were able to get through the Requiem with the raising of The Wall and the cemetery/crosses, the release of the white baloon. That piece still chokes me up to this day. And the A-bomb, nuclear cloud, peace sign drill was incredible to watch. Let alone the waving flag move. Great show!

The MIA bracelets they wore, playing their show at the actual Wall. I don't know how they were able to get through the Requiem with the raising of The Wall and the cemetery/crosses, the release of the white baloon. That piece still chokes me up to this day. And the A-bomb, nuclear cloud, peace sign drill was incredible to watch. Let alone the waving flag move. Great show!

Ah, yes ... Mike Boo wrote a beautiful satire on that show. If only there was a re-print available.