Future of the Cadets

Hmmm I see we forgot about this statement. I would like you folks to explain to me what is your definition of "Traditional Drum Corps". The "George Hopkins" Cadets are in my view not Drum Corps. They are something else. Now with that being said I am not saying that the cadets are not entertaining, they are,

However the cadets is not "Drum Corps".

Mike, I have been very quietly watching this conversation about the cadets and could you please explain to me what you mean by a "traditional drum corps" To me the "George Hopkins" Cadets are far from traditional.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the comment about down to the one kid who can speak....do you actually know how in shape the Cadet kids are? I do. What other corps is marching a closer at 210 bpm and actually gives you a company front at a 45 degree angle for not just 10 counts but for 20! That to me is amazing!

Lol....i think you quoted me, and im pretty sure you took what i said all out of context. To answer your question, I know exactly what kind of shape the kids are in, and exactly what I meant to say. I've talked to the man in question, as well as the staff, and its my opinion that he is probably the only person that can do what they're asking. It's a compliment to him, not a shot at the rest of the corps (which includes many of my friends and family). Sometimes ever the knee jerk responses of other cadet fans amazes even me :wink:

Oh yea, and the company front is pretty cool. Your speech kinda sounds like it was stolen from joe roche's pep talk on all access though :)

I marched with your son. I can't believe he is still there. I feel old.... :wink:

Tekk - think of how old that I feel! :P

Hmmm I see we forgot about this statement. I would like you folks to explain to me what is your definition of "Traditional Drum Corps". The "George Hopkins" Cadets are in my view not Drum Corps. They are something else. Now with that being said I am not saying that the cadets are not entertaining, they are,

Oh, they most certainly are a drum corps...and have been so since 1934. And yes, they are traditional in continuing to strive for excellence in everything they do, as we did in my Garfield days 35+ years ago.

It's funny you are part of the Bayonne Bridgemen and talk about the Cadets not being drum corps...as that is EXACTLY what lot of oldtmers used to say about Bayonne back in 76.

<snip narrowminded BS>

You forgot to preface that with "In my opinion," Thank God that you do not get to say what is and is not "Drum Corps" for the rest of us! <**> I'd like to see "Big" Lou stand in front of the Cadets membership and offer his "opinion" that they are not a drum corps! In fact, I'd pay good money to bear witness to that spectacle!

Edited by ^Michael^

hmmm. You know I have asked you folks to define "Traditional Drum Corps" and you haven't. Just saying "since 1934" is a bunch of baloney (would use other words when in person). Let me make a one observations for you. (I could make many)

The Cadets are now from Allentown PA. How many marching members are from Allentown? 35 years ago I would bet that 95% of the cadets were from Holy Name.

PS. Be careful what you ask for you may one day see it.

I will also say that the Cadets have there own standard of excellence and there kids should be proud of their accomplishments.

You forgot to preface that with "In my opinion," Thank God that you do not get to say what is and is not "Drum Corps" for the rest of us! <**> I'd like to see "Big" Lou stand in front of the Cadets membership and offer his "opinion" that they are not a drum corps! In fact, I'd pay good money to bear witness to that spectacle!
Edited by BigLou