DCA CURRENT STANDINGS

At best, score comparisons from different shows/panels range for ok on the DCA circuit shows where you have many of the same judges each week to be able to compare shows from week to week... to impossible to compare in DCI shows where the judges are more familiar with the DCI corps... Further, there is definitely a tendancy when a given judge is used to working with DCI finalists and is planning his numbers for the DCI finalists coming on later in the show to set his expectations performance wise a little higher than they should be... consequently, scores from DCI panel shows on DCA sheets might often be expected to be a little LOW... making the comparisons even more interesting...

The good news in all this... is that any competent panel, on any given night - using the sheets the shows involved were designed for - can get it "right" for the most part... and hopefully get it into the right "RANGE of score"

but still... comparisons being done by the current simple score only rankings are prone to error... it only lines up when all corps are in the same "show dynamics" situation and unfortunately, that doesn't happen until DCA prelims...

This is not a negative... what is happening now is MUCH better than ever before... it's just the way it is...

Yes, that's exactly what I am seeing out here on the West (is best) Coast.

I felt that when we had an actual DCA judge out here, we got a score that felt was in the range it would have been in on the east coast. And we I think we got some great input on how to tweak our show to make it better from a DCA standpoint which apparently is more than we get from the DCI judging panel at times, not to say that they don't give us input, but it is not the same as having a DCA panel.

Great comments Tom, thanks a bunch for chiming in!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt that when we had an actual DCA judge out here, we got a score that felt was in the range it would have been in on the east coast. And we I think we got some great input on how to tweak our show to make it better from a DCA standpoint which apparently is more than we get from the DCI judging panel at times, not to say that they don't give us input, but it is not the same as having a DCA panel.

Great comments Tom, thanks a bunch for chiming in!

And dont forget, he didn't even judge us. He just provided advice to the DCI judges on DCA judging. Which was very good to have and I'm glad Rich came out here, but really....out here: scores schmores.

There you go Lisa: scores shmores!

I like smores...

Do you see people saying East is best...anywhere....ever???? Did you not just move from the east, to the west coast?

questioning numbers... from one who used to put the numbers down...

DCI judges using DCA sheets for the all aged corps is a great step forward and represents years of interaction between the two organizations...

By adjudicating on the correct sheets and using the correct boxes on each sheet, there certainly is "legitimacy" to the scores.

That being said... there is what is called "SHOW DYNAMICS"... that refers to all of the things that enter into a given single contest... OTHER than the actual performance by the corps on the field...

This would include a huge number of individual factors that reflect on the judge's viewing that evening... just to name a few:

Stadium, judges viewing position, order of appearance, judge's experience and training, judge's expectations, judge's mindset, weather and a dozen more things that don't come to mind right now...

Because of this... it is VERY inaccurate to compare scores between shows... this gets worse when it is done by someone who did not judge all aged last week or will not be judging all aged next week. At best, score comparisons from different shows/panels range for ok on the DCA circuit shows where you have many of the same judges each week to be able to compare shows from week to week... to impossible to compare in DCI shows where the judges are more familiar with the DCI corps... Further, there is definitely a tendancy when a given judge is used to working with DCI finalists and is planning his numbers for the DCI finalists coming on later in the show to set his expectations performance wise a little higher than they should be... consequently, scores from DCI panel shows on DCA sheets might often be expected to be a little LOW... making the comparisons even more interesting...

The good news in all this... is that any competent panel, on any given night - using the sheets the shows involved were designed for - can get it "right" for the most part... and hopefully get it into the right "RANGE of score"

but still... comparisons being done by the current simple score only rankings are prone to error... it only lines up when all corps are in the same "show dynamics" situation and unfortunately, that doesn't happen until DCA prelims...

This is not a negative... what is happening now is MUCH better than ever before... it's just the way it is...

All true Tom, except that things seem to sort themselves out pretty much like they lined up during the summer. At least in my brief time in DCA competition, by the time prelims comes around everyone already has a pretty good idea where people will end up and many of those will have never appeared with the other DCA corps.

There you go Lisa: scores shmores!

It's just not a discussion about scores and points and placements without Smoothy's usual two cents. My life is now complete until the next thread starts up.

Dude....Paetec could've had a friggin' warehouse full of those thing on the field and it wouldn't done a #### thing! :P

I didn't mean on the field. We were in the bathroom with Alliance for an hour trying to keep warm when they pulled Alliance off the field and us out of the on-deck tent and told us there was a tornado sited and our only shelter was under the stands.