Bluecoats Narration

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feed this guy... he's bitter because his opinion is not that of the majority of DCP.

"I believe" you hit the nail right on the head! :lolhit:

Don't feed this guy... he's bitter because his opinion is not that of the majority of DCP.

Yeah, and we all know how powerful and important opinions on DCP are. :unsure:

Edited by TXMystreaux

Does it suck?

Is narration good for DCI?

I wish they would just shut up and let me hear the music!

I agree, it sucks, especially during the drum solo. It's not as horrible as the Cadets because, as others have stated, it's used more sparingly. But I wouldn't be disappointed if they cut it back to the first few seconds of the show or eliminated it entirely.

I agree, it sucks, especially during the drum solo. It's not as horrible as the Cadets because, as others have stated, it's used more sparingly. But I wouldn't be disappointed if they cut it back to the first few seconds of the show or eliminated it entirely.

There's no narration during the drum solo.

Does it suck?

Is narration good for DCI?

I wish they would just shut up and let me hear the music!

Let''s get something cleared up here. You are starting this thread because you are unhappy that a similar one was started about the Cadets and their narration. So in order to make sure equal blame was thrown at others using narration, like the Bluecoats, you start this post and are hoping to 1) divert some of that negative attention on the Cadets, and 2) you feel equality has not been served.

This is both childish and unnecessary and it makes you look like a 16-year old teeny-crybaby who has no ability to rationalize or to fully understand the historical context that has brought forth the existing order in DCI in which amplification and narration have been allowed.

There is bound to be more discussion of the Cadets use of narration than the Bluecoats mainly because it is their director who seems to think that he knows what is best for the industry, or at least this is how many perceive him. And his constant proposals for electronics, woodwinds, and other debated issues has made people very leery about Hopkins, which rightly or wrongly has turned many on the Cadets. While I don't always agree with Hopkins and I personally think he is too manipulative, I try to be mature and honest about seeing what is really there, and to truly evaluate what the hard-working kids of drum corps are doing regardless of what I feel for their director's political/institutional views. I do not allow my bias to distort that which is not all that controversial.

The Cadets are really good this year, and yet I can't stand their narration. That's all. Nothing more than that. If you wish to start these ill-advised, retaliatory threads because you feel equal punishment must be administered to the Bluecoats, then you have mis-judged the political environment that led to this debate in the first place. I understand that there are those who do not like the Bluecoats' use of narration as well, and I can understand that, but your post comes across childish and self-serving in the same way a child can be when he gets a spanking from his father, yet his brother does not.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

It's cool. He tells them to remain silent, so they do. It's not mawkish crap.

Agreed. It actually is cool and it really isn't narration. He just says "STOP!" <pause> "DROP YOUR WEAPONS!" <pause> "YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT!" <longer pause> "ANYTHING YOU PLAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU!" It really is cool and probably my favorite use of amplified voice in DCI yet.

Well done Bluecoats! :unsure:

It seemed to me that on Saturday night in Michigan City, Bluecoats actually ADDED a few snippets of narration to the show...things I hadn't heard (or noticed) before. Can someone confirm?

As others have mentioned, the "narration" used by the Coats is not really narration so much as a few key words and phrases interjected into the show at strategic moments. While I don't find it offensive, I don't really think it necessary. The only one that is really crucial to the program is "You have the right to remain silent," which sets up the silent drill from the guard. It's also been my experience -- particularly on Saturday night -- that the voiceover has been difficult to hear. It gets lost underneath the drums and horns.