Cavaliers Technique Question

I still maintain that having knowlege is mutually exclusive of the ability to transfer that knowledge to someone else

so you are saying that if you know something in great detail, there is no guarantee that you will have ANY clue on how to transfer that knowledge at least in some form.. to someone else?

if i ask someone a question who has a lot of knowledge on something and they say "oh.. i dont know.. i just do it" or some other ######## answer.. im going to think they really dont knwo what they are doing.

wouldnt you?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you are saying that if you know something in great detail, there is no guarantee that you will have ANY clue on how to transfer that knowledge at least in some form.. to someone else?

correct. no guarantees. you are, of course, using the extreme case in the argument by saying 'no clue.' I'm saying some people don't have the gift of communicating their skills to another.

if i ask someone a question who has a lot of knowledge on something and they say "oh.. i dont know.. i just do it" or some other ######## answer.. im going to think they really dont knwo what they are doing.

wouldnt you?

no. I actually have friends with artistic abilities that give me that exact answer. I don't doubt them one minute, and would never be arrogant or presumptuous enough to use the word '########' when referencing their answers.

I actually have friends with artistic abilities that give me that exact answer. I don't doubt them one minute, and would never be arrogant or presumptuous enough to use the word '########' when referencing their answers.

Wow... they sound like great friends.

That's cool you feel that way. I still maintain that having knowlege is mutually exclusive of the ability to transfer that knowledge to someone else.

Carried on...

Unfortunately, i have to agree with the BD guy. Knowledge is communicable, it is something learned, so it can be taught. The skill of passing knowledge to others require knowledge of teaching, but if we all receive teaching and learning we all must have to have some understanding of teaching right?

Its not impossible, its just hard.

I'm saying some people don't have the gift of communicating their skills to another.

id be curious to see what kind of skill that person actually has if they dont have the slightest clue as to how they do what they do.

That's cool you feel that way. I still maintain that having knowlege is mutually exclusive of the ability to transfer that knowledge to someone else.

Carried on...

Why?

Allow me to present a dissenting side to this debate.

When you take a semester class in say...Calculus of Variations and attend lectures, the professor assigns homework. He is asking you to demonstrate your knowlege of the material he has presented so far. In order for you to complete the assignment 100% successfully you must be able to fully explain the answers that you generate in response to the questions. After several weeks of lecture the professor will administer a mid-term. He is then asking you to demonstrate thorough knowlege of the cumulative material covered up to that point. Again, for you to get a 100% on the exam you will have to show all of your work and fully explain how you arrived at the solution. At the completion of the course the professor will give you a Final...you know the rest.

So, my question to you is: How can having knowlege be mutually exculsive from the ability to transfer the knowlege?

If you truly have "knowlege" then there is thorough comprehension of all concepts related to what you understand and you should easily be able to communicate (i.e. teach) that information to others.

Unless... you are saying that the word "knowlege" to you means "being familiar with" the concept. Familiarization is not knowlege. I'm familiar with how to fly an airplane, but don't ask me to teach you with those tidbits and expect to hop in the cockpit and fly away.

I would hate to see someone 'familiar' with the Cavaliers marching technique as a visual tech on their staff, right?

Why?

Allow me to present a dissenting side to this debate.

When you take a semester class in say...Calculus of Variations and attend lectures, the professor assigns homework. He is asking you to demonstrate your knowlege of the material he has presented so far. In order for you to complete the assignment 100% successfully you must be able to fully explain the answers that you generate in response to the questions. After several weeks of lecture the professor will administer a mid-term. He is then asking you to demonstrate thorough knowlege of the cumulative material covered up to that point. Again, for you to get a 100% on the exam you will have to show all of your work and fully explain how you arrived at the solution. At the completion of the course the professor will give you a Final...you know the rest.

So, my question to you is: How can having knowlege be mutually exculsive from the ability to transfer the knowlege?

If you truly have "knowlege" then there is thorough comprehension of all concepts related to what you understand and you should easily be able to communicate (i.e. teach) that information to others.

Unless... you are saying that the word "knowlege" to you means "being familiar with" the concept. Familiarization is not knowlege. I'm familiar with how to fly an airplane, but don't ask me to teach you with those tidbits and expect to hop in the cockpit and fly away.

I would hate to see someone 'familiar' with the Cavaliers marching technique as a visual tech on their staff, right?

I always hated showing my work... ^0^