Cavaliers Technique Question

You have "good friends" who have taught the Cavaliers and you still refer to it as a bicycle step?? Cuz I know they don't. At least the people I know who have taught there don't.

I'm not sure about the guys who teach there, but I've had numerous talks with FMM who have used the term bicycle when explaining the technique to me..One guy was there when they first started using the dot system in the early 90's while the others were in the 2000-03 era..They explained it as a modified bicycle step...Of course they went into more detail, but they did use the word "bicycle"..

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will Jayzer... and yes.. i caught that before you removed it. :P

its all good for reals.

i have a valid point. if you dont agree with me, id love to go over your viewpoints either on here or in PM. show me im wrong so i can see the cavies technique in a different light.

A marching technique is taught to be USED not necessarily to be RE-TAUGHT. Some may grasp it and be able to re-teach it or pass it on.. but as a marching member, the responsibility is to UNDERSTAND it and put it into PRACTICE.

and to be able to understand something you need to know how to do it.

if you know something so well that it becomes second nature.. regardless of your teaching experience.. you should be able to talk about that something in some detail.. it might not be said properly, but you should at least know how to do it. especially when all it is.. is standing a certain way and moving your feet. its not rocket science

if you know something so well that it becomes second nature.. regardless of your teaching experience.. you should be able to talk about that something in some detail.. it might not be said properly, but you should at least know how to do it. especially when all it is.. is standing a certain way and moving your feet. its not rocket science

Please show me where the OP claims anyone he asked just shrugged their shoulders and said, "i dunno, it's just magic i guess."

He never said anyone refused to explain it to him.. only that the explanations he got were unsatisfactory.. he says he got vague explanations and unclear definitions. Very different than "not knowing how to do it."

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Please show me where the OP claims anyone he asked just shrugged their shoulders and said, "i dunno, it's just magic i guess."

I never said that "its just magic". if you ask me.. its just poor individual technique.

the OP should correct me if i am wrong, but i believe OP started this post because he never got a clear answer and was curious about the Cavies technique. numerous people since then have also had similar responses.

if someone was taught correctly on how to do something in such detail.. and that detail has been ingrained into their mind and body so that it becomes second nature.. that person will know how to tell someone else how to do it. not only that, but they will also know WHY they should do it that.

the question the OP originally had was about the INDIVIDUAL cleanliness of the Cavies technique and how that cleanliness relates to their visual score.. the OP then wanted to know the specific cavies technique since he (and many others) was not able to get a clear definition of it by observing it visually, or asking his many drum corps friends who ironically enough... marched Cavies.

Stef, if you have any insight of the Cavies individual marching technique to share that the OP or I should know about.. please share. but since i am (hopefully correctly) assuming you are female.. i doubt you have personal experience with said marching technique.

Edited by cire

Stef, if you have any insight of the Cavies individual marching technique to share that the OP or I should know about.. please share. but since i am (hopefully correctly) assuming you are female.. i doubt you have personal experience with said marching technique.

I did share my insight about how people LEARN TECHNIQUES. You skipped that part of my previous posts, obviously (and yes, I am female).

My experience with the Cavaliers marching technique is about the same as yours: observational and therefore, less than expert -- entirely opinion.

I have probably done more observation of the actual TEACHING of their technique than you have since, over the past 8 years or so, I've been lucky enough to attend and work at many of their off-season camps (since about 1999) -- particularly the early audition and pre-pretour camps. One of my favorite past-times is watching the hornline learn basics.

Other than that, I think Karl Hungus covered it pretty well. His explanation of the technique matches what I've been able to glean from my years of observation.. but again, I don't USE it so I'm no expert and wouldn't ever presume to discuss the specifics of it.

My knowledge and understanding of it, like yours, is purely observational.

Stef

Whatever technique the Cavies have, it's serving them pretty well because they are ####### GREAT!!!!

They're my second favorite corps.

I did share my insight about how people LEARN TECHNIQUES. You skipped that part of my previous posts, obviously (and yes, I am female).

i didnt skip it. it was irrelevant in this discussion. the OP didnt ask how to LEARN techniques. he wanted to know what the techniques are. i dont know why you were going off on that subject

i didnt skip it. it was irrelevant in this discussion. the OP didnt ask how to LEARN techniques. he wanted to know what the techniques are. i dont know why you were going off on that subject

I see that I have to spell things out for you so I'll type slowly.

the OP said he never got satisfactory answers from the FMMs and former staff members he'd talked to.

A few of us suggested that he contact the staff to get specific answers.

His response was that EVERY PERSON who ever marched a technique should be able to TEACH that technique.

I disagreed and stated that NOT every person learns something with the intent or desire (or even the need) to TEACH it to anyone else.

He said I was wrong and they should.

I pointed out that I was not wrong and that not everyone learns things the same way.

VERY relevant to what the discussion became.

Need me to go over any of it with you again? I can use smaller words if you need me to.

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

... he wanted to know what the techniques are. i dont know why you were going off on that subject.

Yeah, because your initial response explained in much better detail what The Cavaliers marching technique is:

because they are more worried about hitting their dots than individual technique. form is more important to them, if they have to run like a chicken with its head cut off to make their dot.. they will.

:beer: