Review, Hershey

Just to clarify on a couple things:

The main musical themes in the Crossmen show are not really the old material, but rather the three or four main Metamorphosis themes. Except in the first production when it's reversed. The Metamorphosis material weaves in and out of the older stuff. But for the rest of the show, the older Crossmen material is meant to be the stuff that weaves in and out of the new stuff....the new stuff being what the show is really about...a metamorphosis from old to new, but still the same corps. Subtle? Sophisticated? Intellectual? Perhaps. Lacking impact? At times, but that is being rectified as we speak.

Also, "writing subtle for the Bones" is just going to be a new addition to what they do from here on out. As will "writing powerful" and "writing creatively" and "writing with texture and contrast and style." Trying to pin down the Crossmen (or any corps for that matter) into being a one trick pony is probably not the best way to go. Make no mistake about it, from a programming standpoint, as much as the corps will attempt to retain certain qualities that make them uniquely "Crossmen," they are indeed going (and NEED to go, IMO) into new directions. I have such great anticipation for what this corps and this design team does in the future. I believe they are setting a very strong foundation that will propel them to greater heights than they have ever been before, on and off the field. Time and patience.

Hi GC,

Yeah, I know what you mean about needing to go in a new direction. I suppose I'm still emotionally enough entangled with the corps now being from TX that I was looking for some sort of sense that "the Crossmen" are still "the Crossmen." Maybe one year's worth of homage would have helped me, but then again I might be saying, "Same old Crossmen," had they played "Birdland" and not marched at all but jammed in front of the front sideline for eleven minutes (exaggeration, but you get the point).

Then you've got someone elsewhere on the board saying "why did they play Birdland again in 03?" Whatever. You just can't win with us fans, and you know it. :)

Regards, Chip

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone see the rabbit that ran all the way across the field during intermission?

That was very entertaining; we were all cheering him on.

large_rabbit1.jpg

Then again, there were many in the early season of 1992 who were wondering why we were "drifting away from being the Crossmen." The slow and soft beginning and ending to the show, the new age music, the "message." Funny how that works. :)

I've only been around the 07 corps and the new administrative team for a short while, but I can assure you that even though they are 2000 miles from their geographic birthplace, the Spirit of the Crossmen is alive and well. They respect and honor the corps past, the history, the traditions, and they are working with a plan in place that will hopefully ensure that we can all enjoy the Crossmen for another thirty years and beyond.

Besides, it's kinda cool that they get to enjoy TWO home shows (at regionals no less) this year!

Hope all is well...

Regarding the Cadets narration:

Their tone quality, expression, etc. is just as important and perhaps more important than the hornline playing to the end of a phrase or a drumline attacking together. The little things will be the difference from a convincing piece of music (like "Lincoln Portrait") and something that is unconvincing.

That's it for me too. Has anyone mentioned the "quality" of the voices doing the narration? The narrators are not quite James Earl Jones or John Facenda. They are not in the same league quality-wise as their horn and drum lines. For me the narration brings the otherwise excellent show down a notch or two.

Edited by sssidney

The barstools were part of Surf's pecussion feature.

Did anyone see the rabbit that ran all the way across the field during intermission?

That was very entertaining; we were all cheering him on.

large_rabbit1.jpg

Yes, I remember standing in the end zone on side one after Blue Knights finished their show and was like, "is that a RABBIT running across the field?" People in the stands were cheering him on. I just thought it was another prop from Hop's bag of tricks...