• 1982 Blue Devils 95.25
    • 1983 Garfield Cadets 94.40
    • 1984 Garfield Cadets 98.00
    • 1985 Garfield Cadets 98.40
    • 1986 Blue Devils 98.40
    • 1987 Garfield Cadets 97.90
    • 1988 Madison Scouts 97.10
    • 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard 98.80*

I asked this question about a year ago but no one could remember or give me an answer ..... but I could have sworn seeing original recaps that had SCV 89 with a .4 penalty and a raw score of 99.20.

The only penalty I'm aware of from championships in 89 happened during Quarterfinals. There was confusion about what could be placed in the pit area back then.

pitpenalty.jpg

NOTE: This penalty was not incurred from the illegal placement of hash marks in the pit area. :P

I voted '84 Garfield. Great, great show!!! What would their overall score have been if the drum line had been able to score in 3rd place in that caption (didn't they end up 9th? probably due to more marching demands that percussion had ever had on them previously.)?

But my vote for the all-time champion during the tick system would be the '82 Blue Devils. A MONSTER of a corps and a show.

It's a tough call......

Tick system....it's hands down BD 82.

Non-tick system....well....BD 86.

Both corps, total power and sheer domination over their competition.

Hey thanks for the mention you guys!

I marched that '82 BD corps and it was literally a whirlwind experience that we were all swept up in! I knew we had something special when we were at a camp weekend very early in the season. The staff handed out the music to the newly updated "One More Time Chuck Correa" they asked us to look it over and that we would take it up to the first drum break. The hornline sightread the tune all the way to the end with huge sound! It was like a performance. It was an Unbelievable experience! B) After we finished the room was silent for a good 2 to 3 minutes!

If I said 89 Phantom Regiment would that make me a troll? ^0^ :P

[Ridiculously biased statement from PR fan still a little annoyed even after almost 20 years]

I seriously have always thought the 88 SCV Phantom of the Opera show was MUCH better than the 89 SCV Phantom of the Opera show and have never understood why people idolize that 89 show so much. :ph34r: With SCV's soloists fracking away and marching holes in the drill I never understood the record high score.

[/Ridiculously biased statement from PR fan still a little annoyed even after almost 20 years]

Sooooo Anywhooooo, I voted 88 Scouts because as I have always told people; They were "Pee your pants exciting" live. B)

Here it goes again...what goes around comes back around...89 SCV great show...but come on if you get two years in a row to perform a show and make it better then it should be an improvement...but the best show of the 80's...you gotta be kidding me...there should be an automatic deduction just for redoing nearly the entire show...with a large population of returners...anyway...I still put 87 SCV before this show...but 88 Devs Rocked and did not even win...as for first place finishers...87 GARFIELD..

Was SCV '87 the year they did the uniform change on the run?

Spacing out which year that was but it wasn't 87.