Music: Songs that could go to the field

Call me crazy(and I know some will) but I would love to see a drum corp do some music from Queen. Not the hyped stuff such as "we will rock you " and "another one bites the dust".

Some of the more appropriate pieces. I have 3 all picked out I would love to see brought to the field and know what order to put them.

Start off with "On with the Show"(some might recognize snippets of that from "Moulin Rouge").

Next do the ballad and give the guard a chance to shine with "Bohemian Rhapsody".Also some good runs in there for the brass.

End up with "Who Wants to Live Forever".

The order could be changed up but I think this could be and excellent show with lots of potential for crowd pleasing too.If you haven't heard of these songs look them up and give them a listen and see what you think.

Any thoughts?

I don't care enough about Queen to push hard for their music making its way to the field, but I could see it as a decent Division II show, I guess. Or halftime at a high school football game.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a recording of the USAF Band's version of Birds of Thunder...if you can get your hands on it...you should be able to at the USAF band's website...it is an awesome piece that has field show written all over it

I think the Olympus Suite on that same CD is suitable as well.

Eric Whitacre's "October" would bring audiences to tears with the right hornline.

even without the right hornline it would send shivers up the judges spines.

Esperanza '04 did it, and it was awesome. I still would love to hear a larger corps play it though.

I would love to hear the Santa Clara Vanguard do Michael Daugherty's "Metropolis Symphony" and Jeff Beal's "Alone in a Crowd" since they did an incredible job with "One Man Show" in 2003. Or maybe even music by Henryk Gorecki. His "Harpsichord Concerto" comes to mind.

And, I would love to hear corps tackle music from movie soundtracks as well. The "Prime Minister's Love Theme" from Love Actually by Craig Armstrong, "So Was Red" from the Shawshank Redemption and the main title from Angels in America by Thomas Newman, and "A Kaleidoscope of Mathematics" from A Beautiful Mind by James Horner.

Edited by mbui

I'm trying to think of some sort of Springsteen-heavy rock show based on leaving somewhere you don't want to be. Here's what I have. Comments and criticism, please.

Leaving Songs

Tindersticks - "Trying To Find A Home"

• Unconventionally opening with a ballad, since it's been brought up here. If you're unfamiliar with the band, they do a lot of maudlin music that's best described as a cross between chamber, jazz, and soul, ending up as some sort of house band for the world's most depressing bar. There's a lot of cool dissonance happening in this song along with the more traditional harmonies, which creates a peacefulness amidst unrest.

David Bowie - "A New Career in a New Town"

• This is a second opener of sorts, where ideally you can move everyone back to the starting line and make their way to the 50 in time for the big hit, with the trumpets covering the wailing and plaintive harmonica. This would be fairly abridged, because we're dealing with an 11-minute window.

Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run"

• I can picture this with a lot of moving lines under the main part, which have a lot of footballs. This wouldn't be dwelled upon for long. Repetitive.

Bruce Springsteen - "Thunder Road"

• This should be the centerpiece here. Getting that last minute of the song (in its recorded form, for a point of reference) should be the sort of thing that gets the crown on its feet. The trick is making it a little harder than it is on the album. I just find it so moving and inspirational. Add lots of cymbal crashes and stuff. There's such an earnest, simple, inspirational, almost soul-saving feel to Springsteen's music, the way it's pushing forward. I'd love to hear what a good hornline could do with it.

The Arcade Fire - "No Cars Go"

• Hell of a closer, it doesn't need explanation if you've heard it. If you haven't, you just have to listen, I guess. I have nothing to say, other than that it's tailor-made for the Big Finish.

EDIT: I switched Born to Run and Thunder Road, and you can tell I mean business, because I'm bustin' out bulletpoints.

Edited by The Nagging Cough!

Drum Corps: The ONLY place Rite of Spring should be played as a marching show.

On the subject of Prokofiev, how about Alexander Nevsky? "The Battle on Ice" is a fantastic piece...not sure how it'd sound on the field though.

Vally Fever '83, can't remember which movements they did and they did not make a big production of it. Would be a nice piece for Santa Clara, Regiment or even now... the Blue Stars! And you don't like vocals, well you might like the chorus sang in Russian, maybe even handing out librettos for the English translation. And yes, you would walk out of the stadium humming this tune, as opposed to going..."they were brilliant, but what the heck did they just play"! And yes, I was a music major!!!

I miss the shows where you could just close your eyes and listen.

Edited by D. MacKinley Riebesehl

I could see Phantom or SCV doing parts of Lincolnshire Posy by Grainger, I think that would be sweet.

Also, I could see BD/Bluecoats playing "The Chicken" by Jaco Pastorius, I think that could be a sweet corps tune.