2007 DVDs - Request for Blu-ray/HD-DVD

Personally, I don't care which one because I have both formats (prefer Blu-ray). Now, I realize that production costs are probably too high to make a high definition version of this years finals available. However, 4:3 is so 5 years ago. Please....finally give us that widescreen version we've been waiting years for. Anyone else with me on this?

- Edited because original post was typed on my iPhone while commuting on the vanpool this morning.

Edited by KCWolfPck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16:9 aspect ratio would be freakin AWESOME for drum corps, especially for high cam. Man, I'd love this.

Not untill they sell out of all their old product.

High Def and 16:9 would be cool. It would definitely find a welcome home on my DVR. However, I don't think 16:9 in of itself is needed as it's only a benefit to those with similarly configured sets. (it's a misconception that a wider aspect ratio actually shows you more of the field--a wider lense does that.)

(it's a misconception that a wider aspect ratio actually shows you more of the field--a wider lense does that.)

Which is exactly why they should use record using the appropriate lenses instead of shooting in 4:3. This way, people with current technology TVs could enjoy the product more, and people that are behind the times can watch a squished image (unless they want to release both a widescreen and fullscreen version like they used to on DVDs). Do they even still sell fullscreen DVD versions of movies?? Take the hint DCI. B)

Which is exactly why they should use record using the appropriate lenses instead of shooting in 4:3. This way, people with current technology TVs could enjoy the product more, and people that are behind the times can watch a squished image (unless they want to release both a widescreen and fullscreen version like they used to on DVDs). Do they even still sell fullscreen DVD versions of movies?? Take the hint DCI. B)

Yes, and the ratio is nearly 50/50 WS to FS depending on the movie. A kids movie will sell far more FS than WS. Family films - same. Major blockbusters - will sell slightly more WS. But Full screen is still viable within video industry.

But Full screen is still viable within video industry.

Wow...it's amazing that people still want a cut-up version of a movie. I didn't know they still sold fullscreen versions, but honestly....I've never looked for them (not even when I used to have 4:3 TVs over 5 years ago).

Well, it's good to know that there's a cut-off date in the future and we know we'll eventually get what we want.

I'd love to know where you get the 50/50 stats you speak of. I just did a quick browse of the top 100 DVD sales on Amazon.com and NONE of the top 100 are fullscreen version. The highest ranked full-screen version seller was the soon to be released 300 and that ranked a lowly #148 in DVD sales. Many movies....I couldn't even find a full screen version. In fact, search Amazon's DVD selection for fullscreen yielded only 20 results.

Edited by KCWolfPck

Wow...it's amazing that people still want a cut-up version of a movie. I didn't know they still sold fullscreen versions, but honestly....I've never looked for them (not even when I used to have 4:3 TVs over 5 years ago).

Well, it's good to know that there's a cut-off date in the future and we know we'll eventually get what we want.

I'd love to know where you get the 50/50 stats you speak of. I just did a quick browse of the top 100 DVD sales on Amazon.com and NONE of the top 100 are fullscreen version. The highest ranked full-screen version seller was the soon to be released 300 and that ranked a lowly #148 in DVD sales. Many movies....I couldn't even find a full screen version. In fact, search Amazon's DVD selection for fullscreen yielded only 20 results.

I work for a major studio in home video sales. The reason you're seeing the full screen numbers on Amazon like you are is because the Amazon customer prefers WS. They are more ahead of the technology curve. They're buying stuff online and using a computer. They also are more likely to have a 16:9 TV.

It was only a year ago that studios stopped making VHS available for larger releases. The FS customer is the one who buys their DVDs at grocery stores, drug stores, even Wal Mart. With more and more TVs in the 16:9 format - the world is switching to WS. But just like VHS, there are some stragglers.

And...some releases are WS and FS on the same disc.

Hope that helps.

Wow...it's amazing that people still want a cut-up version of a movie.
They don't like the black bars.