Theory of Respectfully Disagreeing

Might as well put it here as the Cadets t-shirt thread got me thinking on this.

Theory of "Respectfully Disagreeing" means you can totally disagree with someone on a subject but still be able to have a civil discussion about it. Reason why things remain civil is because you feel the other person has valid reasons for his/hers opinions and they feel the same way about your opinions. You listen to the others viewpoint and learn why they feel the way they do. This of course if the total opposite of what goes on in Congress and most TV and Radio "talk" shows (or as I call 'em "I can scream louder so I'm right" shows).

Last year think I ran into this when someone repeatedly accused me of trying to tell DCI what to do and say when I sent an email on a subject I won't get into. All I did was let DCI know what I disagreed with and the reasons why and poof, I'm trying to run DCI :laugh: .

As I don't get to be with Junior corps people or fans wondering what you feel about this. Is drum corps/DCI/DCP still a place where differeing opinions can be calmly and rationally discussed? Or is the idea is "Respectfully Disagreeing" going out the window?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

*takes everything you said out of context*

WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY MOTHER?!?! RAAAWWWWWRRR!! *foaming at mouth*

*takes everything you said out of context*

WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY MOTHER?!?! RAAAWWWWWRRR!! *foaming at mouth*

LOL that reminds me, have to call the vet for my dogs vaccinations... :P ^0^

This is a broader problem in society.

I have heard it stated that it is because people have lost trust in the idea that truth can be arrived at by a shared appeal to reason. Debate on the basis of reason used to be the way that politics, religion, etc. were discussed.

With the loss of trust in reason has come appeals to emotion and the manipulation of words to arrive at a pre-determined conclusion which is actually arrived at by non-rational means. This is often a disguised power-grab for whatever version of justice you happen to agree with.

Notice that the word "rhetoric" is now a perjorative. It's no longer something that can employed to appeal to or reveal the truth, it's a manipulation of your thoughts for some end, usually power. Rhetoric is also exclusively what the other side engages in, or "spin," while your side is always speaking what really is happening.

:)

LOL that reminds me, have to call the vet for my dogs vaccinations... :P ^0^

Glad I could be of service! :D

But yes...civil conversation seems to be a foreign concept here. Oh well. This is the only place I can talk about drum corps, so I guess I gotta keep coming here.

Surprised you didn't curse like in the last thread.

You know us young band kids...we're edgy.

Just like this guy.

tarantinop2.jpg

Edited by dccorpsfan

Tarantino..

:shudders:

Yeah...not an attractive man, Mr. Tarantino.