Theory of Respectfully Disagreeing

Causes (In no meaningful order -- just the order I thought of them):

1) Sound bite world of TV,radio,internet replacing substantive debate

2) Parents who allow their "NO" to be shouted down by their whippersnapper kids

3) Educational systems that favors "self-esteem" over "learning"

4) Political culture (worldwide) that leans on government as the arbiter of what used to be societal issues

The above are all interconnected, of course -- it is a vicious, self fulfilling circle

Solution:

All we can do is not sink to that level. Try to provide substantive debate and, when all else fails, "agree to disagree". Also, when responded to in a non-rhetorical manner (a la, "Your mother!!!!), either ignore or repeat convictions without responding in kind.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree with your assessment sir.

I'LL KILL YOU!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAWWWRRR!

Web_TaxiDevil4_Image.jpg

... my responsibility to present myself in a way that honors not only myself but my hard working marcher who is devoting her life, sweat and pain to this activity.

:doh::laugh::huh::doh::doh:

My girlfriend nails me on this one every time I stick my foot in my mouth around her family. Everything I do reflects on her, both the good and bad. The more that concept is in the front of your mind, it follows, the less often you're sticking your foot in your mouth.

You don't need to be wearing a uniform to represent your corps/upbringing/family/etc. Remember that, and... heck, I'm preaching to the choir :angel:

You know Jim, this is a great subject that really needs to be addressed here, but I don't really know if it will do any good. Right now I'm in a situation where several people who post here hate my posts (I know they do) so they want to flame arguments and lodge personal attacks against me.

That crosses the line of someone not agreeing with your opinion. I try my best not to get involved with those who hate it just because a strong minded woman has a difference of opinion and has the guts to speak her mind. If they think that lodging insults is appropriate, I really feel sorry for them.

I don't know what to think anymore.

It's like you can't have a different point of view on here anymore, it's really sad and disheartening.

Sad when people hate because of your opinion.

Maybe it's the Barney picture?

Hey, we've disagreed plenty on here. If I've ever been disrespectful toward you then I want to take an opportunity to apologize.

But, seriously, think of getting a picture that doesn't feature Barney. He, and others of his ilk frighten me. Seriously.

It's easy to blast your viewpoint as hard and fast as you can and quote it as the Gospel sent from on high.

It's much, much harder to try to find the other persons viewpoint and meet them halfway.

It can be done...but the effort of typing more than "you suck" in the faceless void of the "inter-tubes :P " is the easy way out.

Case in point: any number of threads that are started about opinion "x" that ask the poster or reader to try to imagine a usage or thought process that is not similiar to their own. Three... maybe four pages, tops.

Now, enter the polarizing, "BEATIN' FEET TO COLOR PRESENTATIONS R00LZ! DCI EATS BUTT!" thread. Shouting match, twenty pages easily.

Mostly, message boards are just a way for us to attempt to yell our opinions a little louder. Looking at places like YouTube and Yahoo!'s comment sections on videos/news stories shows that public discourse is for the most part laughable now.

I tend to think we can do a little better than that here.

Then again, who knows...

Also -- add one to my list:

5) Victim mentality culture where everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame by being offended by something

Can't tell you how many times I've started a topic on something meant innocent, like "Gee it looks like Corps x might not score as well this year. When was the last time they finished as low as 9th? (for example)"...

...and got an immediate response along the lines of "Oh, another Corps X bashing thread. Stop tyring to denigrate Corps X"

Someone looking for a reason to be offended and found it in my post even though it wasn't really there.

Edited by Liam

But, seriously, think of getting a picture that doesn't feature Barney. He, and others of his ilk frighten me. Seriously.

I disrespectfully disagree. Barney is wholesome, friendly, and an all around nice-dino. I take offense to your comment and I call for you immediate removal from DCP, DCI, and any other organization starting with the letter D.

5) Victim mentality culture where everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame by being offended by something

In a world where you can sue someone for a 60+ million dollars over dry cleaning, it's what we've been reduced to, I suppose.