DCI crowd reactions to DCA corps performances

Yeah it depends on where you are. We've gotten great responses from the crowds at all our DCI shows this year

Yes, and the response for MBI at the DCI show in Indianapolis last year was very positive.

Last Saturday's show in Eau Claire, WI, was surprising for a couple reasons. 1) that there were so many people in the stands for a DII/III show and 2) they were really into our show. It was a great crowd.

Also, MBI performed after the Blue Devils at 1999 DCI semifinals and got a great reaction. I was in the crowd for that one.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crowd was great friday!

We sure do love those Govenaires down here in Dubuque. Last time they came to town they were the first standing ovation of the evening!

In one week, Frontier will perform for DCI crowds at two shows. This will be Frontier's first appearance at any DCI show ever. I'd like to hear from performers, staff, and fans of other corps what your direct experience with DCI audience reactions has been. I've heard about some corps getting fantastic, enthusiastic response and support during their shows, and I've heard about lackluster, ho-hum responses to other corps shows (some of these, incidentally, placed higher at DCA last year than the corps that got the great DCI crowd reaction.) I'm guessing that crowd reactions vary by (among other things) geography and show size and who else is in the lineup. If you have direct experience with DCI crowd reactions to DCA corps performances, please tell me about that show! Post here!

here are the show lineups we are discussing:

July 19 Dallas

The Cadets - Allentown, PA

Blue Devils - Concord, CA

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Colts - Dubuque, IA

Mandarins - Sacramento, CA

Southwind - Lexington, KY

Frontier - Dallas, TX

July 29 Denton TX

The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Madison Scouts - Madison, WI

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

Pioneer - Milwaukee, WI

Troopers - Casper, WY

The Academy - Tempe, AZ

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Frontier - Dallas, TX

This is a great opportunity for your corps. What I have seen before is that a senior corps will either play scared having to be on the same field as DCI top 5 or else go in and come off as not really wanting to be there or not caring. Please represent well. Go in with no fear and give it all youve got and by the end of your show you may get their attention. You all kinda look like 27th Lancers, you dont know Danny Boy do you? ;) The people are really there to see Cadets, Cavies, Vanguard, Crossmen, Devils & Crown. Surprise them with a spirited performance and do not give up until the last note. Dont be affected by an audience who is slow to respond or by the big corps also performing. Ive done both, Ive watched seniors at DCi shows and performed in senior corps at DCI shows. If you get a good response, you win! It will likely not be an easy task. Work it.

I remember the Hershey '90 show being very receptive to us. Our drumline was on fire that night and the crowd loved it.

It's interesting to see the perspective from corps that do both DCA and DCI shows. I have only performed at DCI shows since we don't have any DCA shows on the West Coast. Over the last four years the response has gotten better every year. This year there was a decent crowd at all the shows and they were all very responsive. I never really gave much thought to who was going on later since we knew the die-hard fans that only watched the Div I corps wouldn't be in the stadium when we were on.

The only really bad response I remember was a 2005 show in San Diego. There was a decent sized crowd, but very little if any response. Dream went on on the crowd barely clapped even at the end of the show. We went on and had the same reaction. Renegades weren't there so we couldn't tell if it was us or just the crowd.

1996 the Hawthorne Caballeros played for the 96 Blue Devils in Hawthorne. They went crazy for us. It is one of the best memories I have in my drum corps career.

In 2005 I got to play at DCI finals with the Caballeros alumni corps and those who stayed to watch us were really great.

This past Sunday I got to play at DCI east in Allentown. I wish it was a night show instead of at 6:30 but the crowd still seemed to like us.

I think if you rock, you rock, and fans will love it if it's good. So just go out there and lay it down.

As I've heard it said, "Good luck, don't suck!"

Were you talking about the afternoon DCA show at The Ralph? That wasn't really a DCI crowd, maybe some.

Yeah that one. It was a nostalgic performance for me and I remember being quite stoked. I hadn't been through that tunnel since 1995. I was a little disappointed after the response. It seemed to be like that for all the corps that day. It was a decent sized crowd too.

Also, MBI performed after the Blue Devils at 1999 DCI semifinals and got a great reaction. I was in the crowd for that one.

Crowd was great that night. MBI performers were SOOOO hyped during that show.

CorpsVets played the Georgia Dome last year at the end of prelims, and the crowd went nuts for our Vegas show.

Can't wait to see how they react to our Celebrations show this year!!! 3 days to find out. :)

The Buccaneers performed this past Saturday at the DCI Eastern Classic in Allentown (one of the 'holy shrines' of DCI) and we were very pleased with the crowd's reaction. An enthusiastic welcome, a standing ovation at the end and some good reaction to most of the 'moments.'