DCI crowd reactions to DCA corps performances

We sure do love those Govenaires down here in Dubuque. Last time they came to town they were the first standing ovation of the evening!

Hey Thanks :)

and I have to agree with Smoothy on this....... If you have an entertaining show and work the crowd - They will love you and will give you awesome feedback ~

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I can speak for Gades, RCR and Dream and say that California DCI crowds have been pretty dang supportive.

I think I can speak for Gades, RCR and Dream and say that California DCI crowds have been pretty dang supportive.

By what I have heard its been a journey to get to where we are now. But so far this year the crowd for the most part has been very responsive! Go out and blow them down and have fun engage with the audiance make a connection! as quote from somewhere else "work it girl!"

Edited by marimbadude84

I think one of the challenges we will face here in Texas is that for the majority of the people seeing Frontier will have never seen an all-age corps before. The Dallas show has primarily been a premier show and only DCI top 17 level corps have performed here for the last 10-15 years.

I agree with those who have made comment - go out and perform - have a good time doing it - if the crowd responds positively, enjoy it.

Atlanta CorpsVets performed at Coltrin & Associates DCI Southeastern Championship last year to 10,000+ DCI fans and received an incredible response from the crowd. It literally brought tears to my eyes and now sits right next to our 2001 Class A championship win as my best drum corps experience ever.

The best crowd reaction I've ever seen for a drum corps, senior or otherwise, was in 2001 for the Renegades in Concord (Blue Devils show). The standing ovation that refused to end ...

NOW it is...not so much back in 02-03....we got plenty of applause from the crowd that WAS there, but it wasn't until 05 that i REALLY started seeing greater numbers of butts in the seats when we would go on.

I HAVE to attribute that to both new corps coming out (Hawthorne Gold) and greater knowledge that the srs even exist.

There will always be those who buy a ticket only to go see the headliners, but the crowd that starts watching from the first corps has been getting bigger as the years go by.

In one week, Frontier will perform for DCI crowds at two shows. This will be Frontier's first appearance at any DCI show ever.

I'd like to hear from performers, staff, and fans of other corps what your direct experience with DCI audience reactions has been. I've heard about some corps getting fantastic, ethusiastic response and support during their shows, and I've heard about lackluster, ho-hum responses to other corps shows (some of these, incidentally, placed higher at DCA last year than the corps that got the great DCI crowd reaction.)

I'm guessing that crowd reactions vary by (among other things) geography and show size and who else is in the lineup.

If you have direct experience with a DCI crowd reaction to a DCA corps performance, please tell me about that show! Post here!

Last year with Minnesota Brass, after clearing a prelims daytime performance, we performed at the DCI Indianapolis night show. The DCI crowd loved us and showed it in their loud, enthusiastic response. They ate us up because we had an entertaining show that we performed well.

Edited by Brassop

I can relate to your situation, FrontierEuph.

In 2005 the Cabs Alumni performed at the DCI Semi Finals in Foxboro. I was wary of how we'd be received, as we were not only NOT a DCI corps, we weren't even a 'modern day' DCA corps! How would the crowd react to these drum corps dinosaurs?

We followed the Cadets who were on last that night. (How's that for contrast?!) As we began to take the field, people were leaving in droves. Some had been there for more than six hours, and I can't really blame them for wanting to get on the road back to their hotels, etc. I was told there were 30,000 in attendance that night, and perhaps half of them left. However, those who stayed and watched (still some 15,000?) proved to be one of the loudest, most enthusiastic crowds we have ever performed for. My fears had been unfounded.

Many in the stands were drum corps 'vets' like us, and apparently they appreciated seeing an old-school kind of show. Also, many kids from some competing corps watched also, as they had heard of Hawthorne but had never seen either the Competing Cabs or the Alumni Corps.

As many others have said, just relax, go out and do your show and enjoy it. Entertain the people, and don't worry about 'winning them over.' That will take care of itself. They want to be entertained, and most do appreciate all styles and types of corps. Remember, you don't have to 'compete' with the DCI corps in the eyes of judges, just the fans. Show them what you love to do on the field, and they will love it too.

Most of our exhibitions this season are at DCA shows, and we approach each show with the notion we're there to have fun and entertain. So far, we feel we're winners in our own way. I believe you will be too. Enjoy!

Most times you're going on first so the crowd isn't at it's peak numbers wise. With that being said, there will probably be many more people in the seats than you'll see at a typical DCA show. From my experience the audiences are very receptive. Especially if you're from the local region. Although I have done shows where the crowds literally sat on the their hands the entire time. Even though there'd be a couple 8yo kids asking for autographs afterwards.