Thank You Pioneer

The corps was founded as the "Imperials of Saint Patrick" by the Saint Patrick's Church in Milwaukee. That's where the Irish heritage comes from.

But they didn't play Irish music much until the 90's. They also didn't have Irish tartans in the uniform back in the 70's and 80's either.

It's fine to have their traditions as such, but the Irish music IS NOT a long time tradition and I would like to see them branch out.

Interesting how all that former repetoire got erased from Corps Reps a year or so ago. <**>

I do wish the corps good luck.

Edited by shawn craig

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware. I was just joking because Milwaukee isn't exactly known as Irishville, USA. Still, I think it couldn't hurt to spread their wings a little bit.

I have many Irish relatives (ok, so they are only part Irish!) who live in Milwaukee. I really enjoyed the Pioneers show and the celtic music this year (ok, so I am part Irish too!). They had the classiest Color Guard of any corps I have seen at the two shows I attended this year.

Vic Russell

True, Shawn, until the 90s, the corps played a relatively random selection like most others. The Irish hook came about initially as a multi-year theme that matched the corps background, was entertaining, and was successful on the field.

In some ways like Bluecoats' "big band', Phantom's "classical" (especially the Russian year), Blue Devils' "jazz", etc. it is somewhat tricky to decide when to step away and how far from what has been a successful motif. One result for Pioneer has been a tendency to call it "Irish" or "green" or so forth when the show music is not necessarily that (Oliver, Holsinger, Holst in recent years).

Thanks all for the kind comments. The hard work of students and teachers is reflected in being consistently in having one of the most improved scores from start to finish each season -- while going to church most Sundays and getting to visit some of our nation's finest sites.

You haven't been to Milwaukee have you. We are home to the world's largest Irish festvial, have one of the nation's largest Shamrock Clubs and are host to many pipe bands, dance acadamies and ceilidh bands. Heck, our local top baton corps is even Irish, the Daily Debs!

http://www.irishfest.com/festivalinfo/index.htm

You have to undersatnd who you are dealing with here. Nagging Cough likes to flame and annoy everyone. He is an equal opportunity dufus.

I never had the reps from 74-88. Nothing has been erased. If anyone has the missing information, please send it my way and I'll add it to the database.

Maybe I'm mistaken or just didn't do something right.

I remember finding the info one time. Anther time I couldn't find it. Must have been me and not looking carefully enough.

You have to undersatnd who you are dealing with here. Nagging Cough likes to flame and annoy everyone. He is an equal opportunity dufus.

I just state the facts.

I am very surprised that NO ONE clicks the links associated with our posts. :mmm: