The Mufreesboro Bar & Grill

bump...

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I think will happen... Or at least close to this...

87.50- Cadets

87.25- Cavaliers

87.15- BD

86.55- Phantom

86.05- Bluecoats

85.90- SCV

85.85- Carolina Crown

82.55- BK

Here's what I got:

Blue Devils (winning by the slightest of margins - they're the most consistent from caption to caption right now. Their draw tonight could hurt them, however)

Cadets (close behind - still getting hurt by color guard. Their draw tonight could really help them, however.)

Cavaliers (close behind - GE and Music captions have been their weakness - will that continue? I don't see their draw tonight as good or bad, unless the Blue Devils are on fire)

Phantom Regiment (the corps with most likely shot of making that "move" everyone speaks of is the Regiment. A lot of people have started to discount them - this is the first week since everydays that they've actually had more than a rehearsal day or two. Everyone who's seen their show agrees that it's really difficult, and they're starting to clean up. They're on the move - look at how they closed the gap on the Cavaliers from Tuesday to Wednesday. A large majority of the membership in that corps comes from the Southeast (Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, and Florida are all well represented). Being that Finals is so far away from this area of the country this year, fans will come out in droves and cheer on all of DCI. Phantom had a ton of support there last year and I see no reason why that would change here. I think they'll probably still end up in fourth for tonight, but I can see them using their recent momentum to set themselves up to make a move tomorrow night. Their percussion continues to carry the corps, and the horns will soon too - as soon as they can master their crazy drill. Their draw tonight helps them.)

Bluecoats (Ever so close behind Phantom - it seems to me that they're pretty consistent from caption to caption, that they don't have any real weaknesses - but how many of their captions can compete at the top? They have to stay competitive in all captions if they want to finish Top 3. They also don't have the most favorable draw tonight - that could hurt them as well.)

Santa Clara Vanguard (The physical demands of their show keep them here - they're not as clean as the five above them - just a hunch. Their draw tonight is more favorable than it could be. Their strong visual and color guard could help them claw a few points, and maybe placements, higher.)

Carolina Crown (I can't imagine they have the difficulty in their show musically to hang with the Top 6 for much longer - the 6 shows ahead of them, I would guess, are more complex and difficult, and will start to pull away in the second half of the summer. Tonight, Crown will stay close, but still no cigar. Their color guard will continue to carry them, and I'm sure the crowd will be on their side [5 Hot Chops awards is a cool accomplishment] )

BK (They're really glad to be there - I think they could close the gap on Crown tonight, but I would be really surprised to see them in any place but 8th tonight. Their hornline and color guard continue to be strengths.)

I have a feeling the judges are going to play it safe tonight since a lot of things are still up in the air. I think that we'll have a much better grasp on where these 8 corps' stand competitively after tomorrow night.

Best of luck to all of these corps' - I really envy everyone who gets to attend tonight.

Nick H

SUTA

Being that it is Friday the 13th...anyone wanna go with the possibility of something surprising happening tonight?

-Crown wins guard

-Phantom cracks the top 3

-Cavies out of the top 3

-Blooo tops SCV

....just a few thoughts. If any of those occur, i'd be more than happy.

Tonight:

Blue Devils

Cadets

Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment

Bluecoats

Santa Clara Vanguard

Carolina Crown

Blue Knights

I believe the top three will stay that way through this weekend, but lots of swapping between 1-7 could start in San Antonio and for the rest of the year.

Being that it is Friday the 13th...anyone wanna go with the possibility of something surprising happening tonight?

-Crown wins guard

-Phantom cracks the top 3

-Cavies out of the top 3

-Blooo tops SCV

....just a few thoughts. If any of those occur, i'd be more than happy.

Really none of those would be all that surprising, but I don't think Cavies are gonna be below 3rd. Phantom could take 3rd (as could Bluecoats), but they could also conceivably be as low as 7th this week. I doubt it, but with a group of corps this tight it could happen. I don't think that will be the case as the season moves on though.

#1 Prediction -- the order of the top 7 tonight will NOT be the same as the order of the top 7 Saturday night in Atlanta.

That said ...

1-Cadets (going on last has its bonuses)

2-Blue Devils (beat both Cavies and Cadets this week)

3-Cavies (wouldn't we ALL love for a "down year" to be third place?)

4-Phantom Regiment (drew best spot in their "pod" so should beat ...)

5-Bluecoats (only corps they haven't beaten all season is Phantom -- until Saturday??)

6-SCV (although, they had a HUGE score jump this week -- we'll see)

7-CCrown (oh-so-close, creating a big logjam)

8-Blue Knights (having a good year, but almost an after-thought in this show ... motivation??)

Captions:

--Brass: Cadets over Bluecoats

-- Perc: Cadets over Phantom

-- Guard: Cavies over Crown

-- GE: BDevils over Cavies

And again ... wouldn't be surprised if 5 or 6 of the top 7 spots are different Saturday ... heck, wouldn't be surprised if BK isn't in eighth either!!!

-Crown wins guard

-Blooo tops SCV

-CCrown is second in guard right now, so that wouldn't be a surprise

-Bluecoats beat SCV in their only match-up this season (darn Wednesday rain-out!!) and only lost to them once in the previous two seasons, so that wouldn't be a "surprise" either

Not starting a fight, just saying they wouldn't be surprises, in my opinion.

Carolina Crown (I can't imagine they have the difficulty in their show musically to hang with the Top 6 for much longer - the 6 shows ahead of them, I would guess, are more complex and difficult, and will start to pull away in the second half of the summer. Tonight, Crown will stay close, but still no cigar. Their color guard will continue to carry them, and I'm sure the crowd will be on their side [5 Hot Chops awards is a cool accomplishment] )

Nick H

SUTA

Man..I get so tired of people on here pontificating that Crown's show is "not difficult enough" to hang.

Has anybody here marched the drill and played the music? Nope..

They are playing the William tell overture, for you technical freaks..try keping that thing ensemblly clean.

They have more exposed brass parts than anyone.

From a musical standpoint, the show is a #####..lots of nuances..

Finally, they are doing this while running all over the place for 11 mins, 29 seconds.

I think their difficulty is just fine.