"Alumni" Corps...

Well said Joe......when the Hawthorne Caballeros "Alumni" formed in 1994, it was the same thing. All members of the "Alumni" were in fact past members of the Hawthorne Caballeros at one time or another. As time went on, we had to let (and I hate this word)....."outsiders" ....into the "Alumni" corps in order for us to grow. We now boast one of the biggest Caballero "Alumni" corps we have seen to date.

And to be honest, since these "outsiders" have been in our family, they now are ALL considered Caballeros, if they marched in the competing corps or not!!!

Thank you Frank - I'm one of those " outsiders" and thanks to the Caballero Family, both Alumni and Competing, for considering us "outsiders" Caballeros.

I would travel to the Post back in the 60s to watch the Caballeros practice. When I aged out of junior corps I couldn't join my favorite drum corps - no women allowed back in those days. So 34 years later and the children out of the house, I picked up a horn and joined Caballeros Alumni and I love every minute of it!!

Lydia

Caballeros Alumni - mellophone

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pre585.jpg

I wuv pwaying in the awumni corwp

particuwawy in the Weilly Waidews!

Huuhuuhuuhuuhuuuhhhh!!!

OK, you try a phonetic version of Elmers laugh... :doh:

Used to go to a doctor who looked and was shaped like Elmer. Every time he walked in the room my first though was "Where's your hunting cap Fuddsie?" :worthy:

Personally, I really don't care if anyone calls us The Bridgemen Alumni or not. To me, and I think to most of us, we're 'just' The Bridgemen.

Truer words were never said. When we first started out, our hope was to march 100% alumni, but that wasn't realistic since the Kingsmen had been bye-bye for many years. Folks from other corps (even people from our "arch enemies" :blink: ), started joining and before you knew it, we had a full-fledged drum corps. The lines have blurred so much now, that nobody cares where our members originated. With all the blood, sweat and tears that have been poured into our little endeavor by everyone, it's just impossible not to consider each and every member a Kingsmen. And, after we all strapped on our new blue cadets last Saturday night, that became fact preserved forever in our memories.

Sooo.....I guess I'm odd man out here....but to me...and alumni corps ought to be just that. But then you have to decide what you want your alumni corps to do. Do you want them to become some huge performing unit? Alot of these "alumni corps" spring up after the original unit is now defunct so that's probably why they want the alumni unit to become some big performing unit and thus, they have to allow "outsiders".

I've often thought it would be fun to start a Renegades alumni corps for those who were in Renegades but because life/family/carrers/injuries got in the way, cannot do the heavy rehearsal/performance schedule. Maybe they perform at Christmas in the Park (a local Christmas pageant) or in a couple of parades and then at Renegade Family Day in August. The group forms for the love of playing some old Renegade classics (yeah, I know, they haven't been around long enough to have that many OLD classics...but you know.....) and it's just family getting together for some fun, re-telling old stories, keeping the history alive for all the corps members to learn, that sort of thing. I guess that's sort of how SCV's alumni is. That, to me, is an alumni corps. I mean NO disrespect to the others but those seem like "For legal/tax/personal ego issues, we can't re-form the old corps, so we're going to call it <insert defunct corps name here> Alumni" and invite everyone to march".

Why not just start a corps with a whole new name? There's obviously an interest.

What she said or call it a "tribute" corps or a "reunion" corps.

Because when it becomes embarrassing to the actual alumni and there are very few or no alumni involved in something calling itself an "alumni" corps, that can cause issues (as we've all seen)

On second thought, I like the "whole new name" concept best.

We tried the new name , new corps idea in the eighties. This is in Erie, pa. A few new people marched, none of the old T-birds. At least now we've got about a dozen Alumni (our friends) involved. When you don't have a huge talent pool, you don't discourage anyone with the talent and desire to play. Some new blood is good for the corps, no? Of course, they're younger music major types who know it all, but thats another post. :)

I think that the problem is simple - some people hear CorpsName Alumni Corps and think that they are alumni of THAT corps, when, in actuality, they are (for the most part) Alumni of A corps. And that's fine - we have been using that term for years.

There have been restricted Alumni groups (like SCV and Madison), but they are very rare.

The term has been in general use for so long that I think it is ludicrous for someone to lobby for a change. The label is accurate (pretty much) and, if there needs to be a separate designation for the handful of restricted groups, let THEM come up with a new name.

There are more important things to worry about.

Like whether Academy should go on first at San Antonio.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Edited by randomnoise

.....More irony is that week before DCA, Westshoremen competed against Blue Rock and beat BR. First time since we (Westshore) reformed that we beat someone. Even more irony as we also beat Interstatesmen that show and I-men were another corps that returned (but were previously Senior).
Jim, just for the record, the I-men, both the 70's corps and the original corps (1959-67) were never anything but a Senior Corps.

Joe Scarchilli

Founder of www.interstatesmen.org

1975 Blessed Sacrament Senior Corps actually only competed in 3 shows that year. Somewhere around Albany, .........................
Joe,

That would have been either Mt. Pleasant HS in Schenectady or Bleeker Stadium in Albany. I'm sure of it because those were the only two locations used in or about that year - and the 70's Interstatesmen and I was involved in a very small way with both those shows... Ticket sales in Schenectady, acquiring the announcer in Albany and more!

BTW, Bleeker Stadium in Albany is where the tribute show was held for the late Richard "Butch" Anderson (Skyliners Drum Major) just before he died of cancer in 1993.

Joe,

That would have been either Mt. Pleasant HS in Schenectady or Bleeker Stadium in Albany. I'm sure of it because those were the only two locations used in or about that year - and the 70's Interstatesmen and I was involved in a very small way with both those shows... Ticket sales in Schenectady, acquiring the announcer in Albany and more!

BTW, Bleeker Stadium in Albany is where the tribute show was held for the late Richard "Butch" Anderson (Skyliners Drum Major) just before he died of cancer in 1993.

I think that one may have been at Bleeker. Our home show, and my first Senior Corps experience: playing mellophone with the new I-men. I remember competing against Blue Rock and Blessed Sac that year - I think, maybe, the only time they competed as Seniors.

Edited by brassomaniac

What she said or call it a "tribute" corps or a "reunion" corps.

Because when it becomes embarrassing to the actual alumni and there are very few or no alumni involved in something calling itself an "alumni" corps, that can cause issues (as we've all seen)

On second thought, I like the "whole new name" concept best.

"Whole new name" for the corps or "whole new name" as in don't use the "Alumni" tag? Not a flame, just wondering as we are maybe 50% ex-members (hard to tell because I'm not an ex-member).

I'm for dropping the "Alumni" part as the Thunderbirds have done but some corps (Sky, Cabs) run into the problem of competiting corps still exist. At least Boston can call themselves Crusaders Sr without confusing things with the Junior corps.

OK, time for new thread of ex-member percentages.....