"Alumni" Corps...

The comments quoted below were posted in another thread. I'd like to comment on them, but didn't do that in the orginal thread because it's off topic.

The Bridgemen continue to show that they really understand the right way to be an Alumni Corps. I am so very proud of the folks involved who are doing such a wonderful job to honor the corps, its history (and the history of its competitors) and the fans.

Bravo!

Karen

You know that name bother's me. They really aren't an alumni corps since there's only a handful of ex Bridgemen in the corps. I think they should rename their group the Bridgmen Tribute corps or something like that since they really aren't an alumni corps.

To bluecoats88:

Drum corps has a very long history of both inventing new words and giving new meanings to existing words. After-all, we're a unique activity, so we need a unique vocabulary. 'Alumni' just happens to be one of those words that we've added a new definition to.

Maybe you choose to hold to the standard, dictionary definition of 'Alumni', but if that's the case, then I challenge you to name one, single 'true' alumni corps anywhere in the world. You won't find any.

In drum corps, being an "Alumni Corps" doesn't mean that every single member marched in the original corps. Instead, it means that this corps holds true to the traditions and spirit of it's namesake.

Blessed Sac Alumni do this. Bracken Alumni do this. Kingsmen Alumni do this. So do the Bridgemen Alumni , and every other Alumni corps I can think of. So, don't be too literal in your definition of what makes an alumni corps an alumni corps. If you do, I think you'll find that 99.9% of the drum corps world dissagrees with you.

Just to keep this thread on the lite side, how about we continue it by posting words that corps have either invented or changed for themselves?

For example: Bridgemen's contra line doesn't play In The Stone, we 'groove' In The Stone! ;)

HYPE!!

Bill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comments quoted below were posted in another thread. I'd like to comment on them, but didn't do that in the orginal thread because it's off topic.

... So, don't be too literal in your definition of what makes an alumni corps an alumni corps. If you do, I think you'll find that 99.9% of the drum corps world dissagrees with you.

Just to keep this thread on the lite side, how about we continue it by posting words that corps have either invented or changed for themselves?

For example: Bridgemen's contra line doesn't play In The Stone, we 'groove' In The Stone! ;)

HYPE!!

Bill

Alumni! Slumni! Define it anyway it blows your skirt, I'll just keep showing up at their shows.

See y'all on the field! :laugh:

The Golden Knights had their first practice in Jan 1991 as an "alumni corps". The forming of the "alumni" corps actually came the year before at an "alumni" dinner. There was a sign up sheet to re start the corps. Just about all of the people at the dinner were former Golden Knights therefore, the name "alumni" followed the corps name. Now, as word got around and other people wanted to join us, they were welcome to. But why drop the "alumni" word? 17 years later I would say half our corps are true alumni but, we are all Golden Knights. Bill I agree with you, it is just a word. Some things should not have to be put under a microscope.

Joe

The Golden Knights had their first practice in Jan 1991 as an "alumni corps". The forming of the "alumni" corps actually came the year before at an "alumni" dinner. There was a sign up sheet to re start the corps. Just about all of the people at the dinner were former Golden Knights therefore, the name "alumni" followed the corps name. Now, as word got around and other people wanted to join us, they were welcome to. But why drop the "alumni" word? 17 years later I would say half our corps are true alumni but, we are all Golden Knights. Bill I agree with you, it is just a word. Some things should not have to be put under a microscope.

Joe

Well said Joe......when the Hawthorne Caballeros "Alumni" formed in 1994, it was the same thing. All members of the "Alumni" were in fact past members of the Hawthorne Caballeros at one time or another. As time went on, we had to let (and I hate this word)....."outsiders" ....into the "Alumni" corps in order for us to grow. We now boast one of the biggest Caballero "Alumni" corps we have seen to date.

And to be honest, since these "outsiders" have been in our family, they now are ALL considered Caballeros, if they marched in the competing corps or not!!!

Repeat of my post on AK thread....

IMO, "Alumni corps" will probably be known as something else in the next 10 years for the same reason "Senior" became "All Age" corps. When Seniors groups started they were made up of veterans over 21. Then as minors became part of the corps, All Age was a better name to use. One reason for the change was some minors thought they couldn't join Seniors until they hit 21.

When most early Alumni groups started they were social groups who later got the idea to march. As a lot of corps no longer have a competative group to draw newer members from, it was open the doors to non-Alumni or fold the corps.... AGAIN!!. A few non-competative (aka Alumni type) corps have dropped the "Alumni" tag to show they are open to non-Alumni.

My current "non competative" corps folded the competative unit 20+ years ago. Now it's a group open to all regardless of corps experience. This allows younger people in the area to experience playing in a corps and people to hear a corps play in parades and stand stills. If it was Alumni membership only the corps would be a lot smaller (and I would not be there)....

Added part: Go along with Frank on being part of the family even if you did not compete with the corps. I competed against my current corps and feel as much a family member as anyone else.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Hmmmmmmmmm........alumni corps????? Today that classification is a misnomer to be sure.

I was privileged to be part of the organization of the very first 'alumni' corps in 1974-'75. That, in case anyone needs to ask, was the Archer Epler Musketeers of Upper Darby, PA. Were we alumni? Yes, about 90% were alumni of the corps and our collective history spanned from the junior corps of the '30's through the last Musketeer corps to take the field in 1967. Some members were from the combined 'Reilly Raiders-Musketeers' corps of 1968. The balance of membership came from the families and from outside the organization.

It started out as an all male corps, but then accepted women in all sections of the corps. It also began musically, as most 'alumni' corps do, playing the 'established (signature)' charts the old way. That continued for a couple of years until the 'transformation' began. By 1978 we had a field show and performed in many exhibitions, including The Dream in Jersey City......yes, that hallowed ground of drum corps....Roosevelt Stadium.

Archie eventually went back into DCA competition in '81, while retaining a parade corps.

OK.........enuf for now.........maybe we'll start a thread on the History of Archer Epler 1932-2007.

Jimbalaya

Hey Frank,

BTW Great job in Bayonne. I was leaning on the fence 10-20 feet from you. I can't recall ever hearing anyone play better then you did that night. And hearing Eh Chano, Flamingo, Hill Where the Lord Hides made me think back to 1976 when I marched. And I meant what I said to you, I threw my horn out after hearing you play. What's the use?

Joe

OK.........enuf for now.........maybe we'll start a thread on the History of Archer Epler 1932-2007.

Go for it Jim, very little info out there on the merger year....

And <Hades> I saw Archie from 1979 to mid 1980s and never knew it actually was the "Alumni" corps. While thinking about it, wondering if Blessed Sac and Blue Rock Senior corps (both competed 1975) were also competing "Alumni" corps. :doh:

Hey Jim,

1975 Blessed Sacrament Senior Corps actually only competed in 3 shows that year. Somewhere around Albany, The Dream and DCA Prelims. We were made up of approx 60% Alumni I would guess. The irony of that was that we had at 5 guys from Blue Rock who marched with us that year. "Fotch" Al Spino, Harry Jenkins, Bob Lidard and both Quack's. How's that for a good memory Jimmy C? We also had a great party at the Legion or VFW in Wildwood that year with Blue Rock. I think it was the first time the two corps ever hung out together. Then there was always the fight in 1968 Morristown, NJ........................................................

Hey Jim,

1975 Blessed Sacrament Senior Corps actually only competed in 3 shows that year. Somewhere around Albany, The Dream and DCA Prelims. We were made up of approx 60% Alumni I would guess. The irony of that was that we had at 5 guys from Blue Rock who marched with us that year. "Fotch" Al Spino, Harry Jenkins, Bob Lidard and both Quack's. How's that for a good memory Jimmy C? We also had a great party at the Legion or VFW in Wildwood that year with Blue Rock. I think it was the first time the two corps ever hung out together. Then there was always the fight in 1968 Morristown, NJ........................................................

Add Hanover, PA to your list as Westshoremen lost to Blessed Sac at that show. Trying to find the date but I'm at work and www.srcorps.com seems to be blocked. Pretty sure that show should be listed. Thinking a late summer, hot as Hades day.

More irony is that week before DCA, Westshoremen competed against Blue Rock and beat BR. First time since we (Westshore) reformed that we beat someone. Even more irony as we also beat Interstatesmen that show and I-men were another corps that returned (but were previously Senior).