Bluecoats slump

it seems like everyone around them is going up, but their score is plateauing (not even a word......i think). the only thing that really kept them in 5th at 'boro was the brass score (1st). the drumline and guard had a great start to the season and now they're starting to fall behind. they were last in GE AND visual.

i already knew music was going to be the strong point for them this season, but seriously...1.5 out of first in GE, and 1.6 behind in vis. i thought after last year their visual woes would fade away this year, but things seem to be going for the worse.

any thoughts?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i had to guess i'd say that they spent so much time and energy getting the show to be bad*** in the beginning of the season that by now the corps may be hitting a lull themselves. My guess would be that they need to spend some time re-writing parts of the show to get the kids excited again to help convey more GEish moments.

Just a theory

Either way, go Devils!

If i had to guess i'd say that they spent so much time and energy getting the show to be bad*** in the beginning of the season that by now the corps may be hitting a lull themselves. My guess would be that they need to spend some time re-writing parts of the show to get the kids excited again to help convey more GEish moments.

Just a theory

Either way, go Devils!

well hey, they have 4 days of no shows...just rehearsal this week. changes will be in and cleaning will start. and you should send your resume to coats since you know it all

well hey, they have 4 days of no shows...just rehearsal this week. changes will be in and cleaning will start. and you should send your resume to coats since you know it all

Nice....real.nice.

Someone makes a suggestion which is in DIRECT RESPONSE to the original post of this thread, and then qualifies it as his guess, and 'just a theory', and you have the nerve to jump down his throat and give us the tired old 'why dont you be on their staff' line. Not to mention the part about them cleaning and changing things....um, duh? :doh:

Perhaps you should remember what this place is....a m.e.s.s.a.g.e. b.o.a.r.d. :P

Edited by euponitone

As an alum and fan, I've wondered the same thing for the last couples of seasons.

BUT, while they seem to have started-fast and hit-the-wall in each of the last three or four seasons, they've ALSO seemed to be able to get back on track and have peaked during DCI Finals week, maxing out their show and placement.

2004 -- 7th to 6th from semi's to finals

2005 -- 6th in quarters, tied for 5th/6th in semi's, 5th alone in finals

2006 -- 5th in quarter, 6th in semi's (and all the skeptics came out), 4th in finals

So, yes, I am a little "concerned" and somewhat "worried" about the Bluecoats having only gone up 1.05 in score over the last 11 days (since beating both Blue Devils and Cavaliers in the Centerville show on Monday, July 2), but those members and that staff have shown in the past that they know how to push by this "lull" and peak in the end ... here's hoping they do it again in California!!

OH -- and if hitting a "plateau" means winning brass at a major regional for the first time EVER, than that's not TOO bad!!!!

:doh::doh::doh: b**bs

any thoughts?

How does this one strike ye? They're human. This kind of thing will happen. IMO, it makes the season more exciting.

Yeah, it sucks for the corps, and for their fans, but this isn't the first time this phenomenon has happened in drum corps. Look at the Crossmen's scores in 2002. :(

7/2/02: Less than 2 points behind BD

7/12/02: Advantage over BAC drops to 1.5

7/13/02: BAC overtakes us by .05

7/22/02: Crossmen finally break 85, tied w/ BAC, and now 5 points behind BD

8/1/02: BAC beats us by more than 3 points

If I remember correctly, at one point early in the season, we beat BD in drums. ^0^

There better not be anyone shouting conspiracy in here. :doh: And here's hoping the Coats can break the wall sooner rather than later.

Edited by bigCPApi

I have seen the show, love it. But, I think that the judging group may have scored it higher than it should have been early on, and now it is make up time. As far as stories go, when I marched 84 Sky Ryders we came out hot and were 2 points ahead of Crossmen going into a small break. The next show we scored FIVE points LOWER and the Crossmen ADDED 2 points to go up by SEVEN. We didn't rewrite or change anything. So NEVER count on scores doing anything consistently. They will be fine, but remember that the other corps are incredible too. This is the best top 6 I can ever remember. Good luck BLOOOO and please go back to white and Blue.

Marching with the corps for three years I would say this trend is fairly typical.

The shows going through some changes. I can say they'll probably pull it out in the end, just because I feel like the staff knows how to pace the corps well. It's a marathon not a sprint. I'm not saying they won't get 5th or even 7th at finals, but I'm also saying that the idea of the Bluecoats medaling is definately not out of the picture.

Marching with the corps for three years I would say this trend is fairly typical.

The shows going through some changes. I can say they'll probably pull it out in the end, just because I feel like the staff knows how to pace the corps well. It's a marathon not a sprint. I'm not saying they won't get 5th or even 7th at finals, but I'm also saying that the idea of the Bluecoats medaling is definately not out of the picture.

IMO, quite the contrary...I saw the show this past week and thought they were much too clean already. It's always easier to write more demand at the beginning of the year and then water towards the end than it is to write easier and then try to CREATE demand later. Crown, Bluecoats, and Blue Stars all are at serious risk of the same thing...peaking early.