Atlanta Show thread

that are actually trying to ENJOY the HARD WORK the kids are putting in for YOUR enjoyment. ( qoote )

With all due respect, the narration talk is all about THEM. There is no mention at all in their talk about US ( the audience ). I'm able to separate the narration ( pandering and distracting ) and find lots to like in the Cadets show. But the notion their show is for MY enjoyment as a central reason they are putting in the HARD WORK is nonsense. I submit most of the Cadets put in their "HARD WORK" ( a you said ) for reasons other than for MY future" enjoyment." And I'm ok with that too. But lets just be honest with ourselves here about that, ok ?

I agree with you. I was there and thought the whole show is utterly narcissistic. Not to mention agenda driven. i.e pro-abortion.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from Atlanta! The show was great. Perfect seating (45 yard line) and good folks sitting around us. The lighting and acoustics at the Georgia Dome are good. Some brief thoughts:

Troopers' hornline is really good!

Crossmen deserved to leap-frog the corps they did. They were good...and a gas.

Carolina Crown stole the show. Amazing production!

Cavies were good but compared to last year they're wanting. They need to add some embellishments to make a surge going in to Pasadena .

Cadets’ hornline is super loud - the loudest in fact. Yet, the best ensemble sound of the night. The narration is constant (did they not learn from last year?), obnoxious and presumptuous; within the first minute the female narrator proclaims her support of "Choice" (read: pro-abortion) several times, emphasizing her right to do with her body what she wants. The show ends with a related proclamation: "I support N.O.W." (National Organization for Women - a liberal pro-abortion group). On one hand, you had this fabulous hornline throwing it down - only to be upstaged by distracting narration seemingly bent on promoting a liberal agenda. It was inappropriate to the activity and out-of-place. I half-expected to see a N.A.R.A.L.(National Abortion Rights Action League) sign-up sheet at the Cadets' souvie booth. Also, their drill looked simple and non-demanding relative to the other top-5.

Blue Devils were ... well...Blue Devils! Their show is non-stop excitement and power! They had a couple of great screamers.

Edited by Brassop

Call the police and claim our brainwaves are being stolen, thus we can't make any judgments?

That's what I'm going to do. :P Great post.

Since this is a thread about the Atlanta show has somehow strangely morphed into a bit of not so subtle Mormon-bashing, I figure it might be worth pointing out... The entire costs for the Atlanta show were actually underwritten by a Mormon (Coltrin).

Stop and wrap your head around that for a second...

One of the FEW legit corporate sponsors in the activity, one with ties to endless opportunities for serious long term corporate partnership outside of the pocket change of the marching music world (their client roster is a dream for DCI), one that has stood up and covered an entire regional out of pocket is being bashed on this forum.

To be clear, I am not advocating being wonderbread politically correct... just politically smart. Coltrin gives considerably more than they get in this deal and it should certainly be respected.

In addition, as a conservative guess, I'd say at least 15-20% of current marching members are Mormon. Western corps have quite a lot... back in my day, in BD, we had about 20 members on average each year that were Mormon. VK, SVC probably had about the same... Troopers and BK probably even more. Back when I marched 1/4 of the top 12 corps had Mormon DM's... and 2 of the top 21.

My point is this... when you make silly statements like what was made in this forum, you have no clue who it might affect on the other end. It could be a number of fans, a good chunk of marching members... or possibly one of the most significant sponsors.

Since the largest part of this forum is comprised of adults, maybe it is time for all of us to commit to behaving as such?

w/Stp:

That's what I'm going to do. :P Great post.

I'm rather pleased with it, myself B)

I agree with you. I was there and thought the whole show is utterly narcissistic. Not to mention agenda driven. i.e pro-abortion.

Lol...its not enough that you go on in another thread about this...but you had to be buddy buddy about it here as well....

sigh*

You know, of all things to complain about with the Cadets narration, I never thought someone would try to find a liberal pro-choice agenda in it... :worthy:

You know, of all things to complain about with the Cadets narration, I never thought someone would try to find a liberal pro-choice agenda in it... :worthy:

Pshhh...duh. At least theyre not hippies like phantom. On Air??...comeon....a reference to smokin the reefer if i ever heard one...

HOLY $&% what a show! I just got home from the Atlanta and Crown you guys were amazing live and it was everything and more than I expected. Cadets thank you for bringing drum corps back! I was blown away by the Cadets and you guys march and sound great. I thought you guys would take it but lets see what happens at finals. BTW IMO Crown should be in the top 4. Other than that, Troopers had a great hornline and so did Bluestars too. I cant forget to add the corps, who i think should be right in the mix the Bluecoats. I love those contras and i'm hoping you guys can break the top 3 soon. Good luck to all the corps and thank you for a great show.