Atlanta Show thread

1300th post in the thread!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...

Spirit beat Colts and Glassmen in Visual Performance at the night show, but they were beaten by Colts, Glassmen, AND Blue Stars in the prelims. Spirit beat Colts in the total Music score in the afternoon, then beat Glassmen in it at the night show while losing to the Colts.

Some stuff is still moving around a lot. Either some corps are still quite inconsistent, or judges don't have a clear idea where they really stand.

Edited by Tekneek

Cadets. Most seem to agree. Not only on DCP but at the show. Even ppl sitting around me who were wearing other corps shirts said so.

Not only loudest but also fullest, most balanced & solid sounding.

Cheers, :blink:

Sean

w/Stp:

I was there and I would agree with this statement. And most of the people sitting around me would too based on their impressions.

I wonder were Hroth is right now. He's at the show, but does anyone actually think he's watching right now? :P

I went to the bathroom, then bought a pretzel and a Minute-Maid lemonade ice thing, then walked around the stadium for a bit...if you really want to know... :worthy:

I figured out the sinister plan that Hopkins had with this show. You start off with a show full of terrible "narration" and crap. Then when you take some out and mostly clean up what was left, you win some people over that would not have accepted this same amount at the beginning. If they simply took out the "emo band kid", I would just about give them a pass on all the rest at this point. He talks over the hornline more/worse than the others and being on the verge of tears because he was a lonely outcast just doesn't work for me.

Edited by Tekneek

that are actually trying to ENJOY the HARD WORK the kids are putting in for YOUR enjoyment. ( qoote )

With all due respect, the narration talk is all about THEM. There is no mention at all in their talk about US ( the audience ). I'm able to separate the narration ( pandering and distracting ) and find lots to like in the Cadets show. But the notion their show is for MY enjoyment as a central reason they are putting in the HARD WORK is nonsense. I submit most of the Cadets put in their "HARD WORK" ( a you said ) for reasons other than for MY future" enjoyment." And I'm ok with that too. But lets just be honest with ourselves here about that, ok ?

Edited by X DM

effectiveness & execution MUST be judged in person - even DVD quality recordings really are NOT the same as a live performance for judging such things and reaching any sort of "conclusion"

So then...what?...we just sit there and watch our DVDs stupidly and quickly squelch all formulations of opinion because we didn't see finals live and in person?

And how should we react when formulations of opinion start occurring and we must dismiss them as irrelevant since we didn't make the trip out west?

Cry uncontrollably?

Laugh insanely?

Smash our TVs to bits shouting obscenities at the world in the process?

Call the police and claim our brainwaves are being stolen, thus we can't make any judgments?

Sit there and take solace in the fact that the pressure's off of us to make any sort of judgment, and the world is a better place because of it?

Personally I'm filing a lawsuit against you for damages incurred by not shelling out the dough to allow me to go to Pasadena so I could make judgments with a clear conscience. The severe emotional damage I've suffered is irreparable. You may not have shelled out dough for my trip west, but that's ok because you'll be sending moolah my direction for restitution after I win my air-tight case

Since this is a thread about the Atlanta show has somehow strangely morphed into a bit of not so subtle Mormon-bashing, I figure it might be worth pointing out... The entire costs for the Atlanta show were actually underwritten by a Mormon (Coltrin).

Stop and wrap your head around that for a second...

One of the FEW legit corporate sponsors in the activity, one with ties to endless opportunities for serious long term corporate partnership outside of the pocket change of the marching music world (their client roster is a dream for DCI), one that has stood up and covered an entire regional out of pocket is being bashed on this forum.

To be clear, I am not advocating being wonderbread politically correct... just politically smart. Coltrin gives considerably more than they get in this deal and it should certainly be respected.

In addition, as a conservative guess, I'd say at least 15-20% of current marching members are Mormon. Western corps have quite a lot... back in my day, in BD, we had about 20 members on average each year that were Mormon. VK, SVC probably had about the same... Troopers and BK probably even more. Back when I marched 1/4 of the top 12 corps had Mormon DM's... and 2 of the top 21.

My point is this... when you make silly statements like what was made in this forum, you have no clue who it might affect on the other end. It could be a number of fans, a good chunk of marching members... or possibly one of the most significant sponsors.

Since the largest part of this forum is comprised of adults, maybe it is time for all of us to commit to behaving as such?

I haven't bothered reading all 1300 posts in this thread. I didn't buy a ticket for this show because I worked my way in with some old staff members for a few performances, then walked around the lot meeting up with old friends, and got interviewed by Jessica Allen in the lot (Yay!!!) while watching warm ups.

Spirit, Glassmen (holy crap I liked their book!!!), BK, Boston, Bluecoats, and Cavies.... all have amazing books this year. Awesome writing that I really enjoyed.

Edited by Carl306