Mufreesboro Subcaption Scoring

Wow, some strange stuff going on in subcaptions. Any thoughts?

Crown Perc Judge 1: 16.30 - 8th

Crown Perc Judge 2. 17.50 - 5th

Cadets 5th in visual performance?

BD 4th in GE music?

Bcoats 7th in visual performance?

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

I've never seen such fluctuations in numbers in the sub-captions almost entirely across the board...god what a great season

Honestly, I've been wishing sub-captions were more like this since I started watching corps. This is how it should be - the corps that is 5th really might have the best hornline, while the corps that is first might not have the best...whatever. The point is, that I'm against score sheets with little variance. I find it hard to believe that any groups is better than every other group in ever caption. Funny that before this year, most sheets will have the first place corps in all first, the second as having all second place, etc.

I was there and I can tell you there is not much difference between 1st and 5th place right now. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I will say this... if Cadets' guard catches up with the rest of their corps, they will win. If they don't, its anybody's game.

Crown's drum scores are going to give me a heart attack. The two judges couldn't agree at A-Town either. Don't know whether Percussion 1 or 2 is the field, but they switched this week anyways!

Honestly, I've been wishing sub-captions were more like this since I started watching corps. This is how it should be - the corps that is 5th really might have the best hornline, while the corps that is first might not have the best...whatever. The point is, that I'm against score sheets with little variance. I find it hard to believe that any groups is better than every other group in ever caption. Funny that before this year, most sheets will have the first place corps in all first, the second as having all second place, etc.

I do agree with you on most of what you say, and I do love to see all this fluctuation and movement in scores. But, there have been times, usually as the season gets to the mid-way point and beyond that certain corps just know how to elevate and command those captions. Think of corps like Blue Devils in 1982 or 1986, even 1988 for most of the season, or Cadets in 1984, 85, 90, and certainly Star of Indiana in 1991 or 1993. These are examples of corps that were just really good across the board. Top 3 in every caption or sub caption, and then, of course, you have Cavaliers and Cadets of 2002 and 2005 respectively. It's rare when someone dominates everything, and I know it can be argued whether or not it was deserved, but there is no doubt that there have been years where certain corps just nailed every aspect of design and performance, and the sheets do have to reflect that. It's not as much fun for the fan, and what we have this year is much more interesting. Heck, Vegas would love to have a piece of this action if betting on these shows was legal (note to DCI on how to balance the budget).

I know I wouldn't want to make the odds for this year's finals...at least not now.

JW

Edited by jwillis35

Sub-caption differences drive me absolutely insane. I understand that not everyone will agree 100% of the time, especially when judging from different vantage points (such as box and field judges), but you would think that the scores would be somewhat similar if indeed the judging was correct.

Last night in Murfreesboro, the percussion score differences were ludicrous. The Blue Devils got 3rd on the field but 1st in the box. Also, Crown received last on the field (behind the Blue Knights? Ouch.) but 5th in the box. On the other hand though, the Bluecoats got 4th on the field but 7th in the box. How does that happen? Usually box scores are higher because clarity and technique get lost all the way up there, which is why a field judge exists. And unless something went totally wrong and I missed it, The Bluecoats most certainly are way better than a 7th place drumline. These judges obviously saw something very different in every corps that competed last night.

There didn't seem to be too many other sub-caption rips, but there were a lot of sub-caption scores that I was rather surprised with. The Bluecoats getting 6th in GE and Crown following them in 7th were huge surprises to me. Both shows are nothing but GE. I prefer them both over any other show because they have an obvious theme, which is quite different from most other drum corps shows. Plus, both corps are also the unofficial "crowd favorites" this year. How much more general effect can you ask for?

It seems apparent to me that the scores last night were following very closely to performance order, which is pretty dumb. At any other competition in any other order, Bluecoats would have creamed PR, and Crown would have at least come in 6th. In my mind, I would also hope that BD and Cavvies would score lower as well.

Edited by k1001001

There didn't seem to be too many other sub-caption rips, but there were a lot of sub-caption scores that I was rather surprised with. The Bluecoats getting 6th in GE and Crown following them in 7th were huge surprises to me. Both shows are nothing but GE. I prefer them both over any other show because they have an obvious theme, which is quite different from most other drum corps shows. Plus, both corps are also the unofficial "crowd favorites" this year. How much more general effect can you ask for?

Because it is the impact on the person in the box, not the folks in the stands that counts.

Not saying that crowd response shouldn't have an impact, but IMO it doesn"t seem to matter much to the effect folks.