Thanks for all the reviews and comments! The whole corps is working hard this season and things are starting to come together.

Congratulations to the Buccaneers on another win and to all the corps that came to the Grand Prix.

Gary Gill and his amazing team have been working with Cabs' drum line for the past 5 seasons and never cease to put out an entertaining and challenging book.

Gary Gill is the MAN! :rolleyes::blink::lol::lol::lol:

that's funny, I marched with Gary in Bush's bassline in 1995 and this comment caught me very much by surprise. glad to hear Gary is doing well. Is his wife/girlfriend working with the guard?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since I performed and Cabs Alumni were the only exibition corps I saw here's my review of you guys Andy. As a brass player I can only comment about the brass, this is especially the case becasue I was pleasently surprised that they played so well! In past years I couldn't stand listening to this corps because of poor brass quality and technique, a bad 1960's drum corps if you will. They literally gave me a headache at times when I listened to them in the past. This should not be construed as bashing but a point of comparision to this year's corps as they must have realized the same thing. I saw Larry Kerschner standing on the sideline while they were performing and immediatly knew why they played so much better, a good 1960's drum corps if you will. This year's corps is light years better than previous years and I am actually looking forward to seeing you guys perform again, you've made a new fan. Congratulations on a great job! Oh yeah, and please tell Jimmy Russo that his uniform is hideous! :sshh: Who was his tailor, Hellen Keller?! :P

As my signature implies, I believe you should say what you think. Lot's of people would not make your criticisms of the Cabs Alumni even though at times they are probably warranted. Having said that, I can honestly say that I would rather listen to 50 guys play the music Hawthorne's Alumni plays......and play it dirty (if you think they are typically dirty).......than listen to 98% of what I heard at the Atlanta DCI Show the other night. Maybe its just because I grew up on them.......maybe its because I just like their style........but I can assure you that 30 years from now when The Cavaliers or Cadets "Alumni" Corps play what they are playing now.......and they are playing it a little dirty.......the crowd won't get goosebump one. I get goosebumps almost nonstop listening to Hawthorne's Alumni........whether they are clean or not. For the record, I agree with you, I think their hornline last year and this year are the best sounding they have put out since their inception.

As my signature implies, I believe you should say what you think. Lot's of people would not make your criticisms of the Cabs Alumni even though at times they are probably warranted. Having said that, I can honestly say that I would rather listen to 50 guys play the music Hawthorne's Alumni plays......and play it dirty (if you think they are typically dirty).......than listen to 98% of what I heard at the Atlanta DCI Show the other night. Maybe its just because I grew up on them.......maybe its because I just like their style........but I can assure you that 30 years from now when The Cavaliers or Cadets "Alumni" Corps play what they are playing now.......and they are playing it a little dirty.......the crowd won't get goosebump one. I get goosebumps almost nonstop listening to Hawthorne's Alumni........whether they are clean or not. For the record, I agree with you, I think their hornline last year and this year are the best sounding they have put out since their inception.

You do have to understand that when the Caballeros Alumni started in 1995, most of the members had not played in over 20 years. Some of these guys were older and played during the 1950s and 1960s with Hawthorne. I played with the Caballeros in the 70s and was tickled pink to be able to play with these guys, who were Caballeros I had seen playing as a kid, with the Alumni corps. These guys made an all out effort to play and I could care less if it was dirty. One member, who was suffering from lung cancer, played with the corps as long as he physically could.

The first 5 years of the Cabs Alumni existence membership was closed to just former Caballeros. As the older guys left due to age and passing away, it became more difficult to recruit from the ranks of former members and the corps was gradually opened up to those who played with other corps. There were many who jumped from other alumni corps and thus the Alumni corps of today.

Edited by cabalumsw

For the record it was 39 brass +- , 9 snare, 4 tenor, 4 cymbals, 5BDs, At last count maybe 300 guard. Seems that way anyway!!! :P

There are actually 31 now, but not everyone spins the entire show so it's hard to keep up...lol =)