Is Missing the Top 12 Bad?

Today, coming in 13th is not bad at all.

Of course, Top 12 is always goal #1 - as it should be. But today's top 17 are competitive and entertaining. The bar has really been raised over the past few years, and it keeps inching higher. I remember when #12 and sometimes #11 corps were just not that good - hard to watch even on Finals night. It seemed like DCI had about 10 solid corps and that's it. But I think the best deal in drum corps now is the Friday night Semifinals show. Those top 17 corps really put it out there!

As far as the money, I seem to remember that the cutoff was at 14 or 15 for some reason, not 13. I thought the cutoffs were for 6th, 9th, 14th... something like that. Hopefully someone can post and verify this.

13th may be a disappointment, but it's still VERY respectable by today's standards.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the top 12 used to be the goal because of the finals tapes, and the live broadcast on tv, and of course, finals night. I believe the goal has changed a bit to top 6. The DCI rewards these corps with extra features on the DVD.

Is there prize money associated with being in the top 12?

Is there prize money associated with being in the top 12?

I don't know what the brackets are, but yes..the higher you score, the more you earn.

There should be a section of this website dedicated to our "urban legends."

Whaddya think, JohnD?

We could have all sorts of information in there to dispel the numerous urban legends we've accumulated over the years.

#1 could be: Star already had signed the contracts for their tour with the Canadian Brass before DCI Finals in 1993. They did not just "pick up their toys and go home" because they got 2nd place.

#2 could be that Spirit of Atlanta's hornline -while ungodly loud- did NOT shatter the glass of a pressbox in 1977_8_9 or ever. :P

You could start a new thread on " urban myths ' and it would be a good one, The Tsar.

I've heard on here in the past on several occassions on how " the Star of Indiana in '93 used to get booed by fans because their show was so advanced or so controversial, or so.... fill in the blank... reasons ". The fact of the matter is, I saw Star a few times in '93 and never saw nor heard any booing generated to Star at all. I 've spoken to others who attended other shows that year, and they tell me they never saw nor heard people booing Star either that year.. Not before, during, nor after their performances. I'd put this down as one of those things that if enough people say something enough times, then it takes on a life of it's own and it can become a belief even though in reality there is no truth to it at all. It was all just a myth designed to perhaps advance or support a position.

Edited by X DM

You could start a new thread on " urban myths ' and it would be a good one, The Tsar.

I've heard on here in the past on several occassions on how " the Star of Indiana in '93 used to get booed by fans because their show was so advanced or so controversial, or so.... fill in the blank... reasons ". The fact of the matter is, I saw Star a few times in '93 and never saw nor heard any booing generated to Star at all. I 've spoken to others who attended other shows that year, and they tell me they never saw nor heard people booing Star either that year.. Not before, during, nor after their performances. I'd put this down as one of those things that if enough people say something enough times, then it takes on a life of it's own and it can become a belief even though in reality there is no truth to it at all. It was all just a myth designed to perhaps advance or support a position.

I dunno. I think I remember booing at POC in 1993, and I know that I heard the "HIT STAR" chant at the Finals retreat.

#2 could be that Spirit of Atlanta's hornline -while ungodly loud- did NOT shatter the glass of a pressbox in 1977_8_9 or ever. :P

Thank you Nikk. I have said for sometime that IF Spirit's hornline had reached the threshhold and intensity of being able to break glass, they would have ruptured every person's tympanic membrane within discernable distance. I promise you that if the glass breaking actually happened, the rupturing of ear drums and permanent deafness to judges and audience members would have been remembered (and cautioned against) more vividly.

As for The Colts being in the top 3 in regard to finances, where did you come to find this information Bill?

Elmo Blatch

Uh, no. Having marched during Star's heyday, I can tell you--there was booing at some of Star's performances. Notably at Mid-America, when Star always (1987-1990) seemingly came out of nowhere. Now, was it because it was a home show? Who knows? I can tell you this, Bill Cook's comment about having "the best drum corps money can buy" didn't help diminish the angst of the new kids on the block. The fans didn't like the attitude. More than anything, Star was doing it right. There were a few corps that didn't like the idea of a new corps coming into the elite status.

Elmo Blatch

Thank you Nikk. I have said for sometime that IF Spirit's hornline had reached the threshhold and intensity of being able to break glass, they would have ruptured every person's tympanic membrane within discernable distance. I promise you that if the glass breaking actually happened, the rupturing of ear drums and permanent deafness to judges and audience members would have been remembered (and cautioned against) more vividly.

Depends on what the harmonic resonance of the glass was. There are singers who can break a glass, but they won't rupture your eardums.

Garry in Vegas