Is Missing the Top 12 Bad?

In terms of the health (financial) of a corps and its future, is finishing 13th somewhat of a kiss of death? I don't know, but would like to hear you opinions. It seems that in the 80's, some corps went from 13th to extinction (Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Blue Stars - but there was a happy ending, Kilts (12th I guess in 78), Guardsmen). The only corps recently that has demonstrated a real ability to bounce back consistently is the Colts, who have finished 13th a few times, and come back strong (NOT that 13th is bad....I'm not trying to say that).

Someone can correct me but believe coming in 13th or lower for Bridgemen, 27th, some others was an indication othat the corps were already having problems. IOW, coing in 13th didn't start the downhill slide, the slide had already started.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could start a new thread on " urban myths ' and it would be a good one, The Tsar.

I've heard on here in the past on several occassions on how " the Star of Indiana in '93 used to get booed by fans because their show was so advanced or so controversial, or so.... fill in the blank... reasons ". The fact of the matter is, I saw Star a few times in '93 and never saw nor heard any booing generated to Star at all. I 've spoken to others who attended other shows that year, and they tell me they never saw nor heard people booing Star either that year.. Not before, during, nor after their performances. I'd put this down as one of those things that if enough people say something enough times, then it takes on a life of it's own and it can become a belief even though in reality there is no truth to it at all. It was all just a myth designed to perhaps advance or support a position.

Dude, I marched in 1993. And I remember Star getting booed. So do a lot of people.

This is not a myth, it is reality. Just because you went to a few shows where it did not happen does not mean that people are making it up.

While dropping out did basically finish off a few corps in the 70s/80s, not making the "Top 12" seems like a bigger deal today than it was back then. There were lots of corps back then that just kept going back out there each year without ever making finals. Few seem to hang around these days without getting in at least once over a 5 or 6 year period.

To think about how "important" making the Top 12 must have been over the years, Boston was a charter member of DCI and never made Finals until 1999, as I recall. If making "Finals" was what it was all about back then, they surely would be long gone by now.

Edited by Tekneek

I think that the ESPN broadcast and the movie theatre telecast has made it more important now to make the top 12 than say 10 years ago. Hard to miss out on that exposure.

Its not any less exposure than the PBS broadcasts of the past, in terms of corps shown. The ESPN2 broadcast is there to help hook new fans, while the theatre broadcast is for the already converted (and people they bring along). Just because a corps takes 12th place doesn't mean that they're going to get that much extra attention. They help boost the activity as a whole by getting people to investigate.

If I were DCI, I'd be setting up a special phone number or hotline to register for news about your local shows during ESPN and mailing that information out in May as a reminder. Let interested students know about corps in their area. Etc.

If anything, this summer's BIG drawback will be if Quarters corps don't get a VOD of their final show like the Top 17.

In terms of the health (financial) of a corps and its future, is finishing 13th somewhat of a kiss of death? I don't know, but would like to hear you opinions. It seems that in the 80's, some corps went from 13th to extinction (Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Blue Stars - but there was a happy ending, Kilts (12th I guess in 78), Guardsmen). The only corps recently that has demonstrated a real ability to bounce back consistently is the Colts, who have finished 13th a few times, and come back strong (NOT that 13th is bad....I'm not trying to say that).

What corps in 2007 could most afford to, or be least harmed by, a 13th place finish? Spirit? B Stars? Madison? Crossmen? Glassmen? What corps would be most hurt?

No, I don't believe it is. Look at the Colts, they had finished 13th before. Now look at them, having a very successful season. One last thing, there are several great shows out there that probably won't be top 12 this year. The kids are having fun and getting to perform. That is the most important thing.

There should be a section of this website dedicated to our "urban legends."

#2 could be that Spirit of Atlanta's hornline -while ungodly loud- did NOT shatter the glass of a pressbox in 1977_8_9 or ever. :P

....but they came pretty darn close !!!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs

Someone can correct me but believe coming in 13th or lower for Bridgemen, 27th, some others was an indication othat the corps were already having problems. IOW, coing in 13th didn't start the downhill slide, the slide had already started.

Even if we had made the top 12 in 86, I've been told we would've folded until we got the equipment we needed. I asked the question. We came in 13th in 85 first by a few tenths and came back to try again.

It wasn't coming in 13th that caused us to fold, it was the financial shape of the corps and the equipment, buses, etc..a number of things combined.

Yes getting that extra money would've helped but...we needed too many things. The corps wasn't in debt or anything we just needed more money to buy better equipment, uniforms, buses etc. The way that Bingo operations were set up around that time in Mass. didn't help matters either.

Furthermore, in 86 we missed finals by like 2/10ths of a point.

George B. felt that going out still in 13th was a good thing so as not to flounder around dropping lower etc...

I loved that 86 show and am proud of it.

Edited by Lancerlady

What corps in 2007 could most afford to, or be least harmed by, a 13th place finish?

Pioneer

Seriously though, while the prize money division is affected, what really matters is whether the corps management is willing to work within their means. That obviously means some sacrifices in anything that does not degrade the members' experience or threaten their health and well-being.

You could start a new thread on " urban myths ' and it would be a good one, The Tsar.

I've heard on here in the past on several occassions on how " the Star of Indiana in '93 used to get booed by fans because their show was so advanced or so controversial, or so.... fill in the blank... reasons ". The fact of the matter is, I saw Star a few times in '93 and never saw nor heard any booing generated to Star at all. I 've spoken to others who attended other shows that year, and they tell me they never saw nor heard people booing Star either that year.. Not before, during, nor after their performances. I'd put this down as one of those things that if enough people say something enough times, then it takes on a life of it's own and it can become a belief even though in reality there is no truth to it at all. It was all just a myth designed to perhaps advance or support a position.

P.S.

This is an entry from my corps' diary in 1993...it can be found on my website

(http://nikknakks.net/drumcorps/articles/19...mmer_diary.html)

July 31: Ypsilanti, Michigan: POC Finals- After last night's brush with success, we hit the field with intensity, determined to move up a spot (or two). The show was not as good as last night's, but we still managed to move up, tying the Devs for 4th. Star of Indiana won their third consecutive Preview, and the crowd booed.

This was written 14 years ago, the night of Preview of Champions Finals. I had no reason to make that up back then, as Star was a heated rival. I've seen you make this claim before, and I'm not trying to start an argument or a fight...I am just trying to provide some facts. You say that you have spoken to others who did not hear the booing (and that you yourself never heard it)....well, that is great. You went to shows where the booing did not happen. However, Star and Regiment went head to head 11 times in 1993...and I definitely heard booing. Many years removed from the fact, I am saddened by this, but at the time, I found it funny, and thought it meant that the crowd supported us and the Cadets more.