Spirit of JSU Members = No Class

They spent most of the show talking about how they felt about the other corps ( and not just the corps on the field competing), and most of what they had to say was less than flattering. They did make a few remarks about liking corps X, but most of what they had to say was basically trashing other corps.

Meh, some trash talking is good for the soul. It helps relieve the frustration. Besides, you should've reminded them how low they were going to place while they were talking smack about the corps that were going to blow them away at the scores announcements. That may have shut them up pretty quick.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched corps, every one sucked and I didn't care who knew it....I'd tell it to your face back then if i thought it. Does everyone here actually know what goes on during retreat? I hate that this DCI thing has become a mommy and daddy are protecting me kinda thing....

SkyRyders FMM (not sure about what FMM stands for) was wrong to bring his opinion on a public forum, and there's no arguing that.

It's not a mommy and daddy are protecting me thing. It's about having some decorum and not looking like an ### while representing your corps. TRUST ME, we hated the baby blue (your alma mater, it was a Southern thing) when I marched, and I am sure that we said MORE than enough about them... but not in the stands, and certainly NOT in our jackets or uniforms.

And if I, like SkyRyderFMM, had paid admission to see a show, I would have a serious problem with kids from ANY corps acting that way anywhere where I could hear them, and I too would probably address it here, in addition to with the corps' management.

If anything, I see this as the pervasive attitude of today, the "I don't care about you, I am doing what I want, to hell with how it effects others" mentality. Right up there with talking in movies, yakking loudly on your cell phone in restaurants, etc. The sense of entitlement and disregard for others it bothersome.

We all have to share the same air. If we are at a show, we want to see and hear the corps on the field, preferably without color commentary from competing units. And since I am fairly sure the kids in question did not have tickets for the show, I would also not hesitate to ask them to quiet down, and if that didn't work, would find an usher and ask that they be moved to another area, so that I, as a paying customer, could continue to enjoy the show.

Sooooo I have heard before that arguing on the internet was like being in the Special Olympics...even if you win, you are still ########

(now I know that is quite offensive to some folks so my apologies in advance)

This thread definitely reminds me of that saying

:worthy:

Good point. With that, I am out. :)

Again, I don't think anyone will argue that these guys shouldn't have talked trash in the stands. I wish I could take back some stupid things I did and said in uniform back in the day.

BUT...

This shouldn't have been presented the way it was on a public website forum. I expect adults to have some tact. Use your brain and do something more constructive. Don't start a thread called "Corps X Members = No Class".

Very frustrating...

No, it IS a private conversation. If it is public conversation, then legally it would be able to be heard by anyone. A DCI event is a paid event therefore it's private. Joe Blow on the streets can't hear the conversation without joining the private sector so it's not public.

I love having friends who went to law school.

Try getting advise from friends who actually graduated from law school. They've told you wrong on this one.

We got a bunch of kids together and had them dedicate their lives to a competitive activity and some negative comments arose? Man, those kids at Spirit are probably the only people in Drum Corps history to ever say somthing negative about another corps.

F'in seriously?

Maybe my view on corps is a little bit different, because while I was in band, and marched drum corps I was also on several athletic teams throughout highschool and college. Playing Lacrosse you get used to being called a "son of a #####" when things get rough and it should slide off your back, you move on and you play the game. Playing Baseball you can watch your own coach or another team's coach call the umpire anything but a ########## (we've seen Bull Durham, right?) while arguing balls and strikes without anyone getting too upset. Play hockey and you'll get physically abused while some one is insulting your mother. The list goes on. Drum corps is competitive, people invest a lot of emotion into it, and negative comments are going to be made.

While being a good sport is always somthing that is and should be preached and something that competitive individuals strive for people are going to slip and say some things about their opponents that aren't always kosher.

I think a big part of learning "sportsmanship" is not just learning to keep your oppinion to yourself, but to get over it when other people are acting immaturely.

(unless they're picking on the little guy, or your goalie, then it's totally okay to drop your gloves) :P