San Antonio schedule

Yeah, why does DCI give Academy this favor? That is by counting their California score for seeding in a regional. Pacific Crest has been in that same position in past years, but their CA scores haven't given them proper seeding when they get to their first regional.

Any thoughts as to why this is? Maybe there is some kind of rule or something that I missed...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI did not do Academy any special favor. It was decided upon very early BEFORE the season actually began (I saw the memo dated April 3, 2007). There are three major shows at which at least one Div. I corps would be missing (Academy, Mandarins and/or PC)--Allentown, Atlanta and San Antonio.

It was stated that for the Allentown scores (July 7 and 8), Mandarins' score from June 30 and Academy's score from June 23 would be used; for the Atlanta scores (July 14), all three corps' scores from the July 14 Long Beach show would be used; and for San Antonio, PC's score from Long Beach will again be used.

This plan may have been slightly revised, but this was at least originally the plan.

Edited by brassboy

Agreed. Not that I think performance order will matter much, but why give Academy any favors?

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing all the corps throw down great shows on Saturday, especially Bones!

Although someone mentioned that DCI had the plan set before hand, I'm not getting this random draw at all..For the most part, I agree the order won't have much impact..I just think corps should be rewarded by season performance and regionals..BD beats The Cavaliers the last five shows with three being "big shows" and yet doesn't get the last slot???..Vanguard is around 4 points up on BC but goes on before them?? Same thing happened with Crown at the Atlanta also..Crown proved you can still make a move regardless of performance slot in Atlanta. My point is every corps who is in a battle for placement wants to go on as late as possible..

I like the random draw, it helps tremendously in keeping corps from being endlessly slotted. Bottom line, if corps x is better than corps y then it shouldn't matter if they are on before or after.

Agreed. Not that I think performance order will matter much, but why give Academy any favors?

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing all the corps throw down great shows on Saturday, especially Bones!

I agree with you about giving Academy a favor, but disagree at the same time. Last year, Blue Stars were given no such favors, and they had to perform first at almost all shows and at the first regional. This did put them at a competitive disadvantage. I don't see any reason to exact that treatment on any corps, because it's just plain silly. But it is inconsistent.

I'm looking forward to a great show in San Antonio as well. I am really looking forward to seeing Academy.

Well, I'm glad DCI decided to take care of corps that aern't coming to regionals. The order you perform does help your scores, at least on a small level, and PC and Esperanza usually had to go on first at the regionals they made it out to because they hadn't attended any before. Still, it makes me mad that it happens THIS year, where PC is doing an amazing tour, and Academy is doing less of a tour than PC used to do.

That aside, I agree 100% that the order you perform at shows should be based on either your current averag placement, or where you placed at a specific show. IE, Pittsburgh, Kansas should be a moving average show, and San Antonio should be Atlanta finals.

Problem is, then you go back to the argument in 05, where corps who were forced to go on first at every show ended up getting gipped out of 4 or 5 days of rehearsal time by the end of the season, because they got to the shows hours earlier, but were forced to stay all day.

Well, it's a toss up, but personally, I liked it better without any random anything. If you want more rehearsal time, you work harder or smarter or whatever you needed to do to place higher, so at next week's show, you do get more rehearsal time.

My $.02. By the way, it's early, so if there's holes you can drive a truck through, I should be better once I've had my coffee at the office.

Oh, coffee.... :rolleyes:

Does anyone remember the mess at 2004 championships? The performance order went Esperanza, PC, National Anthem, start of the show. Both Esperanza and PC got totally screwed by DCI that year.

I agree with you about giving Academy a favor, but disagree at the same time. Last year, Blue Stars were given no such favors, and they had to perform first at almost all shows and at the first regional. This did put them at a competitive disadvantage. I don't see any reason to exact that treatment on any corps, because it's just plain silly. But it is inconsistent.

I hear you. I feel for '06 Blue Stars, past regional division I units and so forth. But I wouldn't go so far as to suggest we make the problem permanent out of "fairness" to past units. (Doubt you would either.)

Let's give DCI credit for making a positive change.

I hear you. I feel for '06 Blue Stars, past regional division I units and so forth. But I wouldn't go so far as to suggest we make the problem permanent out of "fairness" to past units. (Doubt you would either.)

Let's give DCI credit for making a positive change.

No, no. Don't misunderstand me. That was exactly my point. It was unfair in the past, so I don't think it should continue in the future. I was just pointing out the inconsistency. I fully support what is happening this year with the performance order. It makes more sense and is fair.