Why is band better than corps?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one know if there are any statistics on whether the number of bands in the country have also schrunk over recent years due to higher costs of equipment, labor and other options for their students/member? It's so expensive today...

I'll have to wait for a response... Gotta go teach a high school band today! :) Btw, the quality of drummers in bands has improved over the years mainly due to the DC roots! (Note: the money really comes from band programs-DCI's biggest customers along with supporting corporations out there)

Some really good answers

Some of you are quick to call troll but there is a point (albeit oblique) - if marching band is not better than drum corps then why the push to emulate it? and spare me the cop out of easier access /adjustment for band kids, with 12 hours days all summer, one can adjust to just about anything. So, if you don’t think band is better than corps maybe you should think about why you like drum corps better and then preserve those aspects.

And sorry about the typo, last minute word change and something got cut a bit too much

Don't y'all member back a wyle when Hoppy came out with his infamous - "Drum corpse IS marching band" comment?

It ain't better, it IS drum corpse.

RM - RIP

ampssuck

you could totally spell Cid out of DCI. like, el Cid.

But do y'all no what el Cid means?

B)

:doh:

:rock:

:bleah:

:)

:(

:huh2:

:huh:

:lle:

:sshh:

b**bs

The Cid! :doh: :P

I learned that at corpse camp!

RM - anyone seen my tooth

ampssuck

Some really good answers

Some of you are quick to call troll but there is a point (albeit oblique) - if marching band is not better than drum corps then why the push to emulate it? and spare me the cop out of easier access /adjustment for band kids, with 12 hours days all summer, one can adjust to just about anything. So, if you don’t think band is better than corps maybe you should think about why you like drum corps better and then preserve those aspects.

And sorry about the typo, last minute word change and something got cut a bit too much

Sorry to jump to conclusions. It's not a push to emulate band in my opinion (minus Cadets and Hoppy) as much as it is the fact that almost every single person teaching a drum corps is also involved with atleast one marching band (if not several). This is especially true when you think of the designers. Maybe a designer comes up with a move/concept for a band and decides to use the same thing the next year for their corps. I call this laziness more than emulation. Also, bands have gotten a whole lot closer to DC in design and quality as a result of emulating it. Gone are the days of que tip shakos (or whatever they're called) and show band drill with squads and swinging gates. As far as the switch to Bb's, that's a practical decision in my opinion and it's nothing to do with ease of transition for the band kids.

editted for bad grammar as usual

Edited by Medeabrass

All those pretty little woodwind girls that you get to sit beside, rather than "duck and cover" when they throw a flag or rifle!!! :sshh:

Or at least back in HS!!! :worthy:

And don't tell my girl, she played violin!!! :worthy:

So, if you don’t think band is better than corps maybe you should think about why you like drum corps better and then preserve those aspects.

The biggest reason I like band better than drum corps? Performance level. Fortunately for me, I doubt that's going to change any time soon. I've seen some band shows that are as entertaining as anything I've seen a drum corps perform. If bands could match the performance of the very top corps I think I'd enjoy both activities equally.

Three main reason bands are better:

1) Bands usually don't pretend to be anything other than what they are. But most importantly:

2) Bands - probably more because of their public-funding status than any other reason - are much less elitist. Bands are far more accepting and nurturing towards their less-confident members, and conversely the very best players are not sheltered from those of lesser capabilities.

3) For that same reason, band instructors and staffers are less able to exclude and/or marginalize members who don't fit into the instructors' ideas of perfection.

In other words, bands still operate much like drum and bugle corps used to operate.