Why is band better than corps?

As a member of a marching band (and a wanna be drum corps member) I gotta say that drum corps just feels so...far away, you know? It seems like this untouchable dream that I can only see on the internet or on DVD. The price is so high and it seems like you have to be a near expert in order to make it in.

I personally believe the quality of music and drill is better in drum corps; but it just seems so...impossible to make it into a corps. So, I have to march band.

I don't know. Maybe I have an inferiority complex. That's just the way I see it.

This is pretty much exactly what I think as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member of a marching band (and a wanna be drum corps member) I gotta say that drum corps just feels so...far away, you know? It seems like this untouchable dream that I can only see on the internet or on DVD. The price is so high and it seems like you have to be a near expert in order to make it in.

I personally believe the quality of music and drill is better in drum corps; but it just seems so...impossible to make it into a corps. So, I have to march band.

I don't know. Maybe I have an inferiority complex. That's just the way I see it.

Don't let your dream die. The way alot of kids are getting their initial junioresque type experience is marching an all-age corps in their area and then moving over to juniors. I can think of several young Minnesota Brass members who marched a year or two and then tried out and made top-12 corps. And then they came back a few years later to do all-age.

You've got to at least try. You'll regret it if you don't. Don't sell yourself short. Practice your tail off and go for it!

Don't let your dream die. The way alot of kids are getting their initial junioresque type experience is marching an all-age corps in their area and then moving over to juniors. I can think of several young Minnesota Brass members who marched a year or two and then tried out and made top-12 corps. And then they came back a few years later to do all-age.

You've got to at least try. You'll regret it if you don't. Don't sell yourself short. Practice your tail off and go for it!

Absolutely. Just go to some camps, if you don't make that corps you'll still get good feedback on what to work on. Also, some of the smaller corps can be a bit easier to make, provide an awesome drum corps experience (usually for considerably less money) and is hands down the best way to get experience and "chops".

I do want to march junior corps, but I think senior corps is my best shot. Gold is in Rocky Mount, it's affordable, and they're a fine corps. Also, after college is over, I have my choice of the litter. Skyliners, Cabs, even the Bridgemen alumni! And that's just the east coast!

College though...it's so expensive. I've got to save for that and I've got to look out for my future. Besides, the nearest corps is Crown and that's over 300 miles from home.

So far away, you know?

Heh, I kind of wish I lived in the days of the local corps.

Edited by dccorpsfan

uhhh. not really. drum corps still has it's core elements that differ from band. only one thing has changed. amps.

First off, marching band is NOT better than drum corps !!!!!

Triplefunk, you say the only thing that has changes is amps EH ?? b**bs b**bs

Since I marched they have shortened the shows, allowed....I can't say it....trumpets to be played instead of Bugles. :lol:

The drill style changed which is cool, I can live with that. :worthy:

The pit is ten times as big as it used to be, the uniforms all look the same, and the only thing that has changed is AMPS ??

OK, whatever you say triplefunk. B) B)

Edited by ODBC

I do want to march junior corps, but I think senior corps is my best shot. Gold is in Rocky Mount, it's affordable, and they're a fine corps. Also, after college is over, I have my choice of the litter. Skyliners, Cabs, even the Bridgemen alumni! And that's just the east coast!

College though...it's so expensive. I've got to save for that and I've got to look out for my future. Besides, the nearest corps is Crown and that's over 300 miles from home.

So far away, you know?

Heh, I kind of wish I lived in the days of the local corps.

I'm gonna sorta derail this thread but others have already :P

I've asked friends of mine that have marched corps and also from what I experienced.

If you are determined and prepared and you absolutely love drum corps, I think you stand a good chance. Many people don't even come to the camps because they feel like they aren't good enough. Talent helps a lot but most of all they are looking for someone that will listen and can be worked with. Seriously, what's 300 miles when you can have a lifetime experience? That's how I rationalize. The worst that happens is that they tell you what to work on, which is good for you anyways if you really want to do it. My 2 cents :D

I'm gonna sorta derail this thread but others have already :P

I've asked friends of mine that have marched corps and also from what I experienced.

If you are determined and prepared and you absolutely love drum corps, I think you stand a good chance. Many people don't even come to the camps because they feel like they aren't good enough. Talent helps a lot but most of all they are looking for someone that will listen and can be worked with. Seriously, what's 300 miles when you can have a lifetime experience? That's how I rationalize. The worst that happens is that they tell you what to work on, which is good for you anyways if you really want to do it. My 2 cents :D

Yeah. I guess I've hijacked yet another thread :)

Trust me, I want to march junior corps and I love drum corps. I'm willing to put everything I have into drum corps; but I can't do a thing without my parents approval right now and I have to save to college. I just don't know if it's in the cards for me.

I'll have my shot in senior corps, though.

Marching band ain't better than drum corps. Especially the Ohio State marching band. They suck.

Please don't believe the myth that it's "untouchable" or that you have to be "near expert" to get in. This couldn't be further from the truth. I used to think the same way as you until I marched Star and realized that we had our fair share of "honkers" in the hornline. I only wish I had gotten over my intimidation sooner. I would kill to have had another year or two. You're probably used to seeing the final production on DVD. What you're not seeing is how bad it is during move in and how some people are truely struggling to catch on.

The difference between the honkers in Star and the honkers in my high school band was their level of commitment. If you're willing to shed your pride and throw yourself into the process, most staffs would love to have you. Many would much rather have a kid with average talent but a superior attitude over a bad arse player with a "me first" lousy attitude. They know they can help the average kid learn good marching/playing technique throughout the course of 10-12 hour practice days in the summer if they truely want to. It's much more difficult to teach good rehearsal technique to someone who thinks they know it all already.

Maybe this is the main difference between band and drum corps for me. In DC, everyone wanted to be there and wanted to excel. If they didn't, they never would've survived our rehearsals (or the wrath of vets after lights out :P ). The bad attitudes always weeded themselves out.

edit: because I suck at English

Edited by Medeabrass

I had a dinosaur of a drill instructor back in my corps marching days who told me once, "It's just summer marching band." He marched in some of the greatest corps back in the day and it almost shocked me to hear him say that, but the more I think about it, the more correct I think he was and is. You move/march around the field, you put air through the instruments, you spin, you catch, you drum. At one time vocals were illegal, then legal but not amped, and now you can amp things. Yet you watch a drum corps rehearse today, you see virtually the same things that you saw years ago...at least I do. Kids busting their butts in the sun, moving/marching around the field, putting air through the instruments, spinning, catching, drumming. Doing some amazing things, then and now. It's a great activity. So is marching band. Aside from some cosmetic differences (time of year, membership restrictions, touring) they are virtually identical. It is what it is and I dig it all! :)