Why is band better than corps?

Please don't believe the myth that it's "untouchable" or that you have to be "near expert" to get in. This couldn't be further from the truth. I used to think the same way as you until I marched Star and realized that we had our fair share of "honkers" in the hornline. I only wish I had gotten over my intimidation sooner. I would kill to have had another year or two. You're probably used to seeing the final production on DVD. What you're not seeing is how bad it is during move in and how some people are truely struggling to catch on.

The difference between the honkers in Star and the honkers in my high school band was their level of commitment. If you're willing to shed your pride and throw yourself into the process, most staffs would love to have you. Many would much rather have a kid with average talent but a superior attitude over a bad arse player with a "me first" lousy attitude. They know they can help the average kid learn good marching/playing technique throughout the course of 10-12 hour practice days in the summer if they truely want to. It's much more difficult to teach good rehearsal technique to someone who thinks they know it all already.

Maybe this is the main difference between band and drum corps for me. In DC, everyone wanted to be there and wanted to excel. If they didn't, they never would've survived our rehearsals (or the wrath of vets after lights out :P ). The bad attitudes always weeded themselves out.

edit: because I suck at English

You said honkers. :P

Drumcorpsfan:

Audition and keep a good attitude. Those are the only things you have to do...excepting, of course, paying your dues.

Marching drum corps is an incredible experience. The best part is performing for fans who are in the stands who want to watch you. They are paying to see YOU. There isn't a rush quite like it in this world. If you have the chance, march. All the countless miserable hours marching around in the sun do pay off.

That's the biggest difference I see between drum corps and marching band today--the crowd. Very few people actually pay to watch marching bands. Thousands upon thousands are drum corps fans and have been all their lives--many drum corps performers' families go back generations.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a dinosaur of a drill instructor back in my corps marching days who told me once, "It's just summer marching band." He marched in some of the greatest corps back in the day and it almost shocked me to hear him say that, but the more I think about it, the more correct I think he was and is. You move/march around the field, you put air through the instruments, you spin, you catch, you drum. At one time vocals were illegal, then legal but not amped, and now you can amp things. Yet you watch a drum corps rehearse today, you see virtually the same things that you saw years ago...at least I do. Kids busting their butts in the sun, moving/marching around the field, putting air through the instruments, spinning, catching, drumming. Doing some amazing things, then and now. It's a great activity. So is marching band. Aside from some cosmetic differences (time of year, membership restrictions, touring) they are virtually identical. It is what it is and I dig it all! :)

Totally disagree with your former drill instructor. Schoolastic bands be they high school or college don't work anywhere NEAR as hard as a DCI Div. I corps. Most of them don't even know what a "rush and gush" is. Take the best 135 bandos and the best 135 DCI kids - put them head to head on a competition field and see who wins. Even Las Vegas wouldn't take any action on that.

Take the best 135 bandos and the best 135 DCI kids - put them head to head on a competition field and see who wins.

Fine with me. Give em both the same amount of time to rehearse, the same show, the same staff, and lets see who wins. My guess is the DCI kids (who are/were also bandos, don't forget), but not because they are more intense or because they would work harder given the same playing field. There are many bands out there with tremendously dedicated and intense performers, just like there are some drum corps out there who are not as intense or dedicated as the top groups. I still give the DCI kids the edge because DCI allows kids older than high school age and that physical and musical maturity would probably give them the edge. Regardless, they're doing essentially the same things from a fundamental standpoint...march, play, spin, catch, drum. So it's all good to me.

Four pages on a title and incomplete question that don't even go together? I'm not getting it. Could someone tell me what was ACTUALLY asked?

Edited by usmcontra

Glad to be of service :P while i'm at it, i'd also give the DCi group the edge in the "135 Marching Band kids vs 135 DCI kids" contest........ DCI group has no woodwinds. :]