Drum Corps Mythbusters!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West Coast scores are inflated.

Its semantics but as mistertoo once said, oh so SCV won the Prelims trophy then? Unless youre trying to say that SCV won DCI Midwest, which they didnt.

DCI Midwest Prelims 1975

1 Santa Clara Vanguard 86.700

2 Madison Scouts 86.550

3 Blue Devils 84.900

4 Blue Stars 82.200

5 Kilties 81.050

6 Cavaliers 79.150

7 Phantom Regiment 78.750

8 Freelancers 68.400

9 Pioneer 67.600

10 Guardsmen 67.300

11 Americanos 66.800

12 Colt 45s 65.000

13 Emerald Knights 62.150

14 Geneseo Knights 60.000

15 CapitolAires 59.000

16 Silver Sabres 49.250

17 Klondike 47.250

18 Des Plaines Vanguard 46.950

19 Mounties 43.900

20 Scarlet Knights 43.000

21 Skokie Imperials 38.350

22 Blackhawk Voyageurs 32.100

Garry in Vegas

PS Madison won finals

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Actually, Garfield selected the 12th position, Madison drew 11th position... So, the defending champ was still able to perform last in 1988 finals, even though the drawing put that in jeopardy... The next season, Madison did not... (first defending champion corps to not have the honor-I believe since DCI in 73')

The Kingsmen did play in the defending champion's position in 1973. SCV opted to go on in their prelims finish position (3rd) instead of last in 1974. Kingsmen and Madison had to follow. It was a gamble that paid off with a Vanguard victory.

Garry in Vegas

Myth - Every definition of Splooie and Suta you'll hear, unless you're a member.

Garry in Vegas

Spirit of Atlanta's brass line cracked the pressbox window with sheer volume.

I was there in Michigan City 1980 (old Ames field; baseball field lined for drum corps, not the new facility there today); announcer said after the SOA performance 'there are cracks in presbox window.' Of couse, they may have been there prior to SAO. Good legend though.

Madison was not "intentionally" given the top seed performance, as pointed out by someone else earlier, Garfield actually went on after Madison that night. Also, if you happen to own the 88' tapes (through 800 video express back then...), you can actually see part of the drawing process taking place (several corps are shown pulling numbers out). Just a little more info for ya...

If you watch that closely, a friend of mine pointed out to me that when it was Madison's turn to select, the drum major had his hand on one card, and then someone next to him (a woman, I believe) made him switch to another one which had the performance position of 11. It's really quick, but if you watch it, it's there.

I too remember the boos.

I, also, remember the boos. Specifically, I heard the boos at the Atlanta show - held that year at Tara Stadium in Jonesboro, GA. At the time, I was standing at the top of the stands talking with Bill Cook. He chuckled awkwardly, but I could tell that he was hurt by the crowd's classless display. :-(

Edited by ^Michael^

If you watch that closely, a friend of mine pointed out to me that when it was Madison's turn to select, the drum major had his hand on one card, and then someone next to him (a woman, I believe) made him switch to another one which had the performance position of 11. It's really quick, but if you watch it, it's there.

Um...wasn't it Scott Stewart that selected the card? Or am I misremembering that?