DCI and DCA

if you can check out the 1995 Bushwackers show. This show was the start of the DCA push to more movement and shows designs more juniur corps like than they were prior to 1995.

Like ourselves much :P ?

But, seriously, DCA was moving towards much more active drill than before in the late 80's or so. I mean, the difference in the drill I marched in, say, '84 (not with the corps one would assume from my avatar) and, oh, '88/'89, was huge. And, well, since the corps I was in back then went on early alot, I got to see many of the others, and I'd say the same held mostly true for them, too.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a question for those who have marched junior corps and senior corps and/or spectators that have been around awhile and have a strong grasp of both. So, here's my question: What are the big differences and similarities between junior and senior corps (specifically in performance)?

this is charming actually

by specifically in performance, I expect you mean in 2007 not in the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s tho understanding all the decades is nice

I will allow others to answer that, the one thing I want to mention is this, after WWII, guys who came home from the war

who used to be in Jr corps either joined or formed Sr corps, the Sr corps thing was very connected to military roots for a while

I would say a Sr corps show has more connection to the past though the shows are modern, people at these shows remember

the '72 Skyliners for instance and all those years of performances come onto the field with each corps, Sr corps fans dont forget.

Ah yes...bus trips. Good times...I'm sure it'll be 10 times as wonderful in corps as it is in band.

hahaha, nope, dont count on it

there are possibly less available girls in the guard and other sections to sit with on the way home from a parade on a cold Fall evening than in band

beer is more prevalent in Sr corps if thats your idea of wonderful

but yeah Sr corps & alum corps bus rides are usually fun

Edited by BeinGreen

This is a question for those who have marched junior corps and senior corps and/or spectators that have been around awhile and have a strong grasp of both.

As many of you know, I'm a DCI freak; but recently I noticed that I know next to nothing about the senior division of the activity. So, I did what I always do when I want to know about something: I hopped on my PC and looked up "DCA". What I found was amazing. One show that really stuck out, to me, was the Hawthorne Caballeros (I'm guessing they were the senior version of the now retired Hawthorne Muchachos) 2003 show. Though the drill wasn't...as jaw dropping as the junior corps; I was completely blown away by the music this corps played. Screaming sopranos, deafening drums, and amongst all of that...a beautiful ballad of one of my favorite pieces.

So, here's my question: What are the big differences and similarities between junior and senior corps (specifically in performance)?

Well, this is taxing my memory a bit, and even more so my feeble command of Spanish, but I'll give it a shot to the best of my memory's capacity. As I recall, the Muchachos (spanish for boys as opposed to Muchachas- spanish for girls), were origanally formed to serve as a jr. all male feeder (ie. cadet corps) for the then all male Hawthorne Caballeros. If I remember correctly, the first time I saw them, it was their first competition and their youngest member was all of 7. They got their butts kicked that night of course, but as a corps they matured rapidly and eventually became one of the greatest. Their downfall came as I recall it in the early 70's, when they got caught with their hands in the cookie jar marching age-outs. Some people to this day blame the Cavaliers for "ratting them out", but I never did. As one Cavalier had said " Why not just send the Caballeros"? That was (yes-back in the day) when DCA corps really COULD put a spankin' on some of those young DCI whipersnappers. :)

if you can check out the 1995 Bushwackers show. This show was the start of the DCA push to more movement and shows designs more juniur corps like than they were prior to 1995.

In regards to a junior corp drumline essence, I'd go back a few more years to '88/'89/'90 and (sorry Bushwackers :P ) look at the Westshoremen model. The "Crossmen effect" still trickles down to this day (re: Buccaneers).

Edited by WSbassdrum9091

Always like to throw this out there, average age of Rochester Crusaders Upper battery, 16.5.

In regards to a junior corp drumline essence, I'd go back a few more years to '88/'89/'90 and (sorry Bushwackers :P ) look at the Westshoremen model. The "Crossmen effect" still trickles down to this day (re: Buccaneers).

One REAL big problem is the lack of archived and relatively recent media for DCA. I'd love to hear/see the shows you mention, but have no way to do so.

Truth be told, I'd like to increase my collection to cover most every year of DCA as well (especially from 1995 up to now), but it's going to be impossible to find any CDs/VHS/cassette tapes of this stuff, excepting the most recent years.

Is anyone ever planning on trying to collect these somehow? It could be a money maker for DCA in general to have some sort of "archive collection" started of previous years....nothing fancy, maybe just a year here or there when things can be remastered or produced.

Edited by bawker

Don't use Bush 95 as any kind of milestone. Bush was even MORE "junior" earlier, like 90, 91. They were pushing the envelope even before Star 93.

DCA actually has "entertainment" on the judges sheets. Practically every DCA champion has been crowd oriented since the 90's: Empire, Cabs, Westshore, Brigs... even the Bucs, who play a very "effect" driven variation of classical drum corps (SCV-Phantom).

hahaha, nope, dont count on it

there are possibly less available girls in the guard and other sections to sit with on the way home from a parade on a cold Fall evening than in band

beer is more prevalent in Sr corps if thats your idea of wonderful

but yeah Sr corps & alum corps bus rides are usually fun

I'm not sure "Beer" is actually in the recruitment material for competing DCA corps anymore, but adults are certainly allowed to be adults. Any corps I was with was very protective of younger members (Empire, Brigs).