DCI and DCA

Actually, I do know a guy who is marching Carolina Gold right now. I'm definatly considering them right now.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the bus trips.

Definitely the bus trips.

Ah yes...bus trips. Good times...I'm sure it'll be 10 times as wonderful in corps as it is in band.

Self reliance and accountability to be prepared for your show vs. having a teaching clean everything 24/7 for 2 months.

There are plenty of opportunities to practice as a corps in All Age ... but it really is ones DUTY to come prepared at a higher level each time they get together. No the drill is not comparable, but you will find more company fronts and face peeling volume (even from a 20 member horn line).

You'll also find honor guards who present the national colors and guard them properly. You'll usually find full retreats and corps play themselves off the field. You also have the I&E which is far different from DCI at championships. Alot more fun, tons of talent and very laid back. DCA also has STAR and DCI doesn't :P

All in all ... it's about enterainment. It's a great place to start if you can't do DCI for whatever reason, and it's a great place to stay and entertain 1000's of people.

P.S. We march in hurricanes with no lines.

if you can check out the 1995 Bushwackers show. This show was the start of the DCA push to more movement and shows designs more juniur corps like than they were prior to 1995.

Self reliance and accountability to be prepared for your show vs. having a teaching clean everything 24/7 for 2 months.

There are plenty of opportunities to practice as a corps in All Age ... but it really is ones DUTY to come prepared at a higher level each time they get together. No the drill is not comparable, but you will find more company fronts and face peeling volume (even from a 20 member horn line).

another way to look at it is: DCI corps practice,..............DCA corps rehearse, you practice on your own time!

This is a question for those who have marched junior corps and senior corps and/or spectators that have been around awhile and have a strong grasp of both.

As many of you know, I'm a DCI freak; but recently I noticed that I know next to nothing about the senior division of the activity. So, I did what I always do when I want to know about something: I hopped on my PC and looked up "DCA". What I found was amazing. One show that really stuck out, to me, was the Hawthorne Caballeros (I'm guessing they were the senior version of the now retired Hawthorne Muchachos) 2003 show. Though the drill wasn't...as jaw dropping as the junior corps; I was completely blown away by the music this corps played. Screaming sopranos, deafening drums, and amongst all of that...a beautiful ballad of one of my favorite pieces.

So, here's my question: What are the big differences and similarities between junior and senior corps (specifically in performance)?

dccorpsfan..... I've seen your posts on other threads and I applaud your natural, inquisitive curiosity. I really do. You are apparently new to the activity, yet have a " I'd like to know what it is like" sense of things. You are to be commended for this. I do not know your age, but if you retain this open mindedness and natural curiosity in other aspects of your life, you will find that it will serve you tremendously well in the future. Now for some differences, particularly as it relates to peformances ( others will no doubt contribute thie input as to the differences from their perspective ) ;

DCA Competing Corps have shortened competitive seasons. Marching members do not go on extended tours like at DCI. The shows tend to reflect that members have jobs, time, financial constraints, etc that preclude participation in lengthy summer tours and practices away from home for protracted times. Oftentimes, the visual show reflects this time constraint in terms of design,implementation, and execution of many of the DCA Corps compared wth their counterparts in the DCI.

judgment caption wise, DCA Corps tend to reward audience response a little more than on the DCI scoring caption sheets. A genuine effort by staffers and show designers in DCA Competing Corps tend to take audience reactions into consideration ( and members enjoyment level ) when designing a show. The level of demand ( and execution ) tends to be at an overall higher level with the typical DCI Corps, paricularly in the mid to upper placements Corps. Marching numbers per Corps tend to be higher in DCI. There tends to be more soloists that are featured in DCA Corps than in DCI Corps shows ( again, we are talking in general, not specific terms here ). Drum Majors tend to be much more animated and interactive with the audience than with the typical Drum Major in a DCI Corps. DCA Corps have more recognizable by name performers than DCI Corps. Many long time followers of DCA shows look forward to seeing these well known performers on the field in their respective Corps. DCA also has a growing mini Corps competitive grouping where smaller in competing numbers members play ( but are quite good ). Additionally, DCA has a rather large Alumni Corps grouping ( also quite entertaining for many ) that perform for audiences utilizing traditional components of music and visuals from earlier era's

There are many other similarities and differences that perhaps others can share with you, as this was just a brief intro.

My suggestion, dccorpsfan is to actually go to the DCA ( Drum Corps Associates ) website and check out if any future shows might be coming to your area. Or better yet, check out if any DCA member Corps might be in your area and go check out a rehearsal. DCA Corps would love to have you drop by, introduce yourself, and learn more about what they do. In my opinion, there is much to like in both DCA and DCI if one is open to things that are perhaps different within the 2 approaches to Drum Corps. Hope some of this info helps!

Edited by X DM

another way to look at it is: DCI corps practice,..............DCA corps rehearse, you practice on your own time!

I remember when I went to a few camps in 2002/2003 at Empire Statesmen David Bruni was always preaching this. It made so much sense and I took to it simply because I had never heard any corps staff say that prior to hearing David say it.

Bump.

Civility on DCP?! Be still my heart.